U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-28-2011, 04:01 PM
 
10,139 posts, read 22,435,726 times
Reputation: 8244

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
Since I travel alot I am often in Downtowns all over the country. Panhandling occurs in any major city. All cities have laws against it, but its not going away. Even in very safe downtowns like Indy, you can still be approached.

A lot of downtowns now have courtesy ambassadors who walk the streets with radio's and sometimes intervene. THis would not be a bad idea for Cincinnati. I've not found downtown Cincinnati any different than other downtowns I've been to, other than their signage leaves alot to be desired.

Funny story, my dad told me in the 1950 and early 1960's the police in Indy would grab the "panhandlers"' (they called them winos" back them ) drive them to the city limits with a stern warning to not come back...Oh the good (non politically correct) old days!
There are two kinds of panhandlers in Cincinnati. Professional panhandlers who are usually from outside of downtown, come down to bully people out of money, are not homeless or desperate and are usually more aggressive and dangerous. Then there are the homeless addicted locals. Neither should be enabled, but the professionals should be driven to the edge of town and invited not to come back. The homeless addicted used to be housed at Longview or similar sanitariums. Thanks to the ACLU, and a liberal judiciary "interpreting" the Constitution, no one can do anything about either. I'm sure our Founding Father intended cities to be overrun by drunk or bullying derelicts who are not permitted to be corrected in their behaviors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-28-2011, 04:25 PM
 
2,492 posts, read 3,656,446 times
Reputation: 1385
I wish the city could do something about the swarm of people who beg for money outside the stadiums before Reds and Bengals games. Sometimes it's like walking a gauntlet to get to the gates - particularly along Third Street and the bridges over FWW. They stake out their spot and sit/stand there all night.

I can't imagine that businesses like Toby Keith's are going to want them sitting out front pestering their customers all night.

On a similar note: I don't mind at all giving money to people who are actually doing something like playing the sax or guitar. That adds flavor and character to city streets and I'll happily drop a couple of bucks into open guitar cases. But stand there with a cardboard sign? Forget it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2011, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Cleveland Suburbs
2,554 posts, read 5,840,089 times
Reputation: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Really? I regularly go to Red Wings games and the casinos at night.
Downtown Detroit is pretty dead after office hours. Let's see, around the MGM Grand, it is so dead you could hear a pin drop. It's surrounded by nothing but surface lots, which is not uncommon for downtown Detroit. Greektown has got some momentum going on, but it is nothing to write home about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2011, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Cleveland Suburbs
2,554 posts, read 5,840,089 times
Reputation: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
Since I travel alot I am often in Downtowns all over the country. Panhandling occurs in any major city. All cities have laws against it, but its not going away. Even in very safe downtowns like Indy, you can still be approached.

A lot of downtowns now have courtesy ambassadors who walk the streets with radio's and sometimes intervene. THis would not be a bad idea for Cincinnati. I've not found downtown Cincinnati any different than other downtowns I've been to, other than their signage leaves alot to be desired.

Funny story, my dad told me in the 1950 and early 1960's the police in Indy would grab the "panhandlers"' (they called them winos" back them ) drive them to the city limits with a stern warning to not come back...Oh the good (non politically correct) old days!
Downtown Cleveland's ambassadors are very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2011, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
477 posts, read 530,298 times
Reputation: 275
Quote:
A lot of downtowns now have courtesy ambassadors who walk the streets with radio's and sometimes intervene. THis would not be a bad idea for Cincinnati. I've not found downtown Cincinnati any different than other downtowns I've been to, other than their signage leaves alot to be desired.
Cincinnati does have them actually, 3CDC operates two types, ones who clean up litter and others that are there for help/safety etc. They also just recently expanded to OTR, though I wonder if other cities have more of them...

Cincinnati Safe, Clean, and Friendly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2011, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,786 posts, read 12,764,490 times
Reputation: 5453
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsrn View Post
This is why all women need to obtain a carry permit and take a gun with them when they are out alone at night in unfamiliar areas. I certainly feel safer when I have mine with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2011, 06:09 PM
 
5,318 posts, read 6,620,829 times
Reputation: 2657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Downtown Detroit is pretty dead after office hours. Let's see, around the MGM Grand, it is so dead you could hear a pin drop. It's surrounded by nothing but surface lots, which is not uncommon for downtown Detroit. Greektown has got some momentum going on, but it is nothing to write home about.

Then go to the other casinos that are hopping. I see you did not mention anything about Joe Louis arena, Comerica Park, or Ford Field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2011, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati
3,335 posts, read 5,732,394 times
Reputation: 2058
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
Cincinnati does have them actually, 3CDC operates two types, ones who clean up litter and others that are there for help/safety etc. They also just recently expanded to OTR, though I wonder if other cities have more of them...

Cincinnati Safe, Clean, and Friendly
I spend 20 minutes a day walking downtown and i can count on one hand the number of times i've seen an ambassador. And those times I may have been hallucinating. Still, I want to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2011, 09:42 AM
 
2,492 posts, read 3,656,446 times
Reputation: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Downtown Detroit is pretty dead after office hours. Let's see, around the MGM Grand, it is so dead you could hear a pin drop. It's surrounded by nothing but surface lots, which is not uncommon for downtown Detroit. Greektown has got some momentum going on, but it is nothing to write home about.
Greektown is OK, but the area around the Comerica and Ford is pretty shady. There are so many vacant buildings you literally feel like you're on a fake urban movie set in Hollywood. Granted, a lot of the old buildings themselves are strikingly beautiful, and I would love to see them come back. Unfortunately, as is the case in most eastern cities, there isn't a lot of demand for Class C office space in 100-year-old buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2011, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Cleveland Suburbs
2,554 posts, read 5,840,089 times
Reputation: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Then go to the other casinos that are hopping. I see you did not mention anything about Joe Louis arena, Comerica Park, or Ford Field.
LOL why would I mention them? I have made my point... downtown Detroit is dead after office hours. Those places you have mentioned are surrounded by surface parking lots everywhere, I mean literally everywhere. Greektown is the biggest thing going for downtown Detroit, and like I said, that isn't even anything to brag about. As far as I am concerned and from what I have seen several times downtown, MGM Grand and Greektown are two of Detroit's most popular casinos. There are reasons why Detroit leaders come to Pittsburgh and Cleveland to see how a downtown should function. Cleveland is building a casino now downtown, and that's after the fact that we have the Warehouse District, East Fourth, Gateway District, and Playhouse Square... Pittsburgh has the North Shore, Cultural District, and Market Square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top