U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 04:55 PM

2,554 posts, read 5,841,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Greektown is OK, but the area around the Comerica and Ford is pretty shady. There are so many vacant buildings you literally feel like you're on a fake urban movie set in Hollywood. Granted, a lot of the old buildings themselves are strikingly beautiful, and I would love to see them come back. Unfortunately, as is the case in most eastern cities, there isn't a lot of demand for Class C office space in 100-year-old buildings.
I hate to see the parking lots everywhere in downtown Detroit and wonder what use to be there....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 06:01 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,657,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
I hate to see the parking lots everywhere in downtown Detroit and wonder what use to be there....
Probably a lot of buildings that used to look like these:

Forgotten Detroit

WTF: Detroit, Michigan...Forgotten but not gone. - YouTube

And then there's the sad tale of the Michigan Theater, a once-beautiful, grand theater in downtown Detroit that was gutted and turned into a freaking parking garage, of all things.

Perhaps the most disgusting demolition ever:

Beautiful Detroit Theater turned into a parking lot | Doobybrain.com

The Michigan Theatre Detroit - YouTube

Old 11-01-2011, 11:40 PM

18,064 posts, read 13,270,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Quoting from a Yelp review of a downtown Cincinnati hotel by a female guest, who reinforces the point I've tried to make several times about panhandlers. And I know exactly where she's coming from (pun intended), because I used to sometimes be a female business traveler staying alone in big city downtowns without a car. Yes, she probably should have talked to hotel desk staff before venturing out into the twilight. But I wonder how we fix this?

"WARNING TO WOMEN: Be careful walking around outside by yourself at night. NOTHING is open and there are tons of panhandlers and random thugs who will try and talk to you on the practically empty streets. I was trying to find a place to grab dinner at 7pm to bring back to my room and I didn't feel safe AT ALL. Which is going to force me to pay for overpriced room service the rest of my stay here."
More negative reviews like that might actually force city council to take off the blindfolds and do something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
So what does being there entail? An applebees on the corner? No one who is different than me? I'm sorry that she felt uncomfortable but if you have xenophobic tendencies it's probably best to stay home.
I have a right to walk through any city without being accosted by scum.

Since I live at 12th and Race, most of them know me and have learned that approaching me will only get a string of berating profanities hurled at them, along with my special mix of CS surprise.

No one has stuck around long enough to get tasered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Statistically, downtown is quite safe.
Statistics are irrelevant. Perception is everything and safety is a perception, not a statistic.

Quote:
It sounds like this traveler didn't exactly put much effort into finding somewhere to eat like, you know, ask at the hotel.

But restaurants in and around Fountain Square, from Jeff Ruby's to McCormick's to Palomino to Nada to just about everything else adjacent to the Aronoff Center are open quite late and are all open and full at 7 p.m. - all of them.
Those are for tourists.

Travelers are often tired and have a huge agenda and don't feel like waiting to eat at a place like Jeff Ruby's (which is a rip-off anyway).

I usually tell visitors to pay the $1 and take the Shuttle across the river.

It's safer -- no panhandlers, and there's Subway, Taco Hell, Burger King, White Caste's, McDonald's, Wafflehouse, Skyline and Gold-Star, plus a few other quick to eat places.

Quote:
Lucy Blue even later than that I believe.
They're going to hoof it to 12th and Main? Right. I'm 2 blocks away and I won't even go there without packing my Beretta 92F

Old 11-02-2011, 05:04 AM

3,383 posts, read 3,704,790 times
^Wow, Mircea, you just laid it all right out there, didn't you? Pretty obvious you're a veteran of the trenches and know what you're talking about. Certainly a provocative, but sad commentary from a female Cincinnati resident who's been there, done that. Thanks! (I'd like to add my 2-cents worth, but right now I'm getting ready to make an AM appointment; your post will no doubt rekindle this discussion.)

Old 11-02-2011, 06:57 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,957,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^Wow, Mircea, you just laid it all right out there, didn't you? Pretty obvious you're a veteran of the trenches and know what you're talking about. Certainly a provocative, but sad commentary from a female Cincinnati resident who's been there, done that. Thanks! (I'd like to add my 2-cents worth, but right now I'm getting ready to make an AM appointment; your post will no doubt rekindle this discussion.)
Same thing always happens when there's any kind of discussion of panhandling. A bunch of men post, and those posts always include one or two accusations of racism, plus a lot of commentary about how "they're all harmless" and "I just tell them to leave me alone." There's almost never any acknowledgment that a woman alone on a deserted downtown street after dark is likely to feel VERY THREATENED when approached by a stranger asking for money. Failure to acknowledge that this is a real problem (and as Mircea says, perception is everything) is simply not going to fix the situation.

Hubby and I were driving through downtown about 8:30 p.m. on Monday. Although we didn't go by Fountain Square and the situation there might be different, where we did go there were next no pedestrians in sight at all. Personally I would not have been out walking those streets on a bet.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:34 AM

307 posts, read 441,476 times
So where exactly is it stated that it's a right to not be accosted by scum? Did I miss that part in history class? If you feel that way which you're more than entitled to feel than you'd probably be better off in mason. What exactly was us that drew you to live at 12 & race?

Old 11-02-2011, 07:38 AM

Lucy blue is still at 12 & walnut but moving to 12 & main. I was out this weekend and the only scary thing at 12 & main was all the white kids dressed as zombies. Sadly I felt no need to carry as they're already dead.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:12 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,957,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
So where exactly is it stated that it's a right to not be accosted by scum? Did I miss that part in history class? If you feel that way which you're more than entitled to feel than you'd probably be better off in mason. What exactly was us that drew you to live at 12 & race?
Holiday Tips

You're welcome.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:30 AM

To further refine my point I think you'd be foolish to move to an urban center in an american city an expect to never encounter a pahandler. Yes most places may have laws against it but I personally have no expectation of the such. If someone does they should stay in the suburbs. Hopefully they wont have someone ask them for gas money in the kenwood parking lot. They'll then have to become a shut in an order everything from amazon. Seriously when did we all become do scared of each other?

Old 11-02-2011, 08:45 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,446,164 times
Of course there isn't anything threatening at 12th and Main because there isn't anything there. But at 13th and Main where you have the Circle A Market (read 40's and rolling papers) you have 5-10 thugs standing on the corner watching the traffic go by (or dealing drugs depending on whether you a customer or not) and the Ghetto Thug Park and Drunk Gambling Center (aka Ziegler Park) not 100 feet away.

So it may be real nice to be on the corner of 12th and Main, but its not so nice at 13th and Main. Trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati