Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 07:50 AM

307 posts, read 543,760 times

Advertisements

The circle a has started playing classical music and when I've walked by there seems to be less loitering but that's a pretty small sample size. I saw the building listed on the mls recently so hopefully something good happens with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 07:54 AM

Sorry to take it off topic as none of these places are downtown/CBD. Oops!

Old 11-02-2011, 08:13 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Mircea and Sarah... You are making the most sense of anyone on this thread. An individual woman is going to feel threatened at night on a near deserted City street when approached by a stranger.

Your comments are right on. If the City wants to believe they are progressing, then pay attention to these subjects.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:18 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
More negative reviews like that might actually force city council to take off the blindfolds and do something.

I have a right to walk through any city without being accosted by scum.

Since I live at 12th and Race, most of them know me and have learned that approaching me will only get a string of berating profanities hurled at them, along with my special mix of CS surprise.

No one has stuck around long enough to get tasered.

Statistics are irrelevant. Perception is everything and safety is a perception, not a statistic.

Those are for tourists.

Travelers are often tired and have a huge agenda and don't feel like waiting to eat at a place like Jeff Ruby's (which is a rip-off anyway).

I usually tell visitors to pay the $1 and take the Shuttle across the river.

It's safer -- no panhandlers, and there's Subway, Taco Hell, Burger King, White Caste's, McDonald's, Wafflehouse, Skyline and Gold-Star, plus a few other quick to eat places.

They're going to hoof it to 12th and Main? Right. I'm 2 blocks away and I won't even go there without packing my Beretta 92F
You supposedly live at 12th and Race but are unaware of Lucy Blue's location at Seventh and Walnut? That was obviously the location I was referring to for a downtown hotel visitor, not the one in OTR.

And yea, I'm sure visitors are really clamoring for Taco Bell and White Castle for dinner. I know those are the first places I want to hit when I'm out of town.

Good grief, please keep me from running into someone like you when I'm visiting another city.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:20 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
To further refine my point I think you'd be foolish to move to an urban center in an american city an expect to never encounter a pahandler. Yes most places may have laws against it but I personally have no expectation of the such. If someone does they should stay in the suburbs. Hopefully they wont have someone ask them for gas money in the kenwood parking lot. They'll then have to become a shut in an order everything from amazon. Seriously when did we all become do scared of each other?
The individual quoted in the initial posting in this thread was a VISITOR to Cincinnati, staying in a downtown hotel. Rather than being forced to order room service, she wanted to walk a couple blocks in early evening and pick up something to eat, without being accosted on a deserted street. Your personal expectations about downtown living are basically completely irrelevant to the topic of the thread.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:20 AM

Does this hold true elsewhere? I tend to feel like the average east coast person has slightly thicker skin. A single girl from new york would likely not feel as threatened as a single girl from mason in the same situation. I think it less about location and more about upbringing.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:25 AM

Sarah, the fact that she couldnt find a restaurant by fountain square open past 7 shows me she's a moron. I see no need to elevate her comments as gospel. Why do you seek out reviews on yelp to support an argument you've started? Should I post all the positive reviews from the same hotel? What are you trying to prove and why is everyone so angry?

Old 11-02-2011, 08:26 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
Does this hold true elsewhere? I tend to feel like the average east coast person has slightly thicker skin. A single girl from new york would likely not feel as threatened as a single girl from mason in the same situation. I think it less about location and more about upbringing.
Well, I want to commend you for now at least backing off your earlier assertion that this woman's issue is with people who don't look exactly like her. But really, I have to ask. Do you stereotype much? What exactly IS a "single girl" from Mason? What do any of us know about the Yelp poster's age?

I think it's really about gender. And when fully half, maybe more, visitors to downtown have the gender-based potential to feel as threatened as the Yelper apparently did, then our community has a problem. Even if you personally do not.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:28 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
The individual quoted in the initial posting in this thread was a VISITOR to Cincinnati, staying in a downtown hotel. Rather than being forced to order room service, she wanted to walk a couple blocks in early evening and pick up something to eat, without being accosted on a deserted street. Your personal expectations about downtown living are basically completely irrelevant to the topic of the thread.
Why are you introducing relevant facts to a good, old-fashioned downtown bashing session? The OP's original comment didn't quite fit the criteria of half the posters here, so it had to be tweaked in order to effectively criticize and trash downtown. Once that commenced, here came the train of usual anti-city posters lining up to throw their gas cans into the fire.

I mean, no Taco Bells for downtown visitors? Give me a freaking break.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:32 AM

Do you think that this is something unique to our community? Maybe a Midwest thing? I'm honesty curious cause as a guy it's not something I'm as tuned into. Without having them here to ask I feel like female friends from Philly would have less of an issue but maybe theyre just putting on a front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati