U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 11:50 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,656,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Do you know anything about The Flats? The Flats East Bank, Stonebridge, the new aquarium? The Flats East Bank is a mixed use development that is bringing a new 18 story office tower, a new 8 story Aloft Hotel, residencial, restaurants, and park space along the river. Stonebridge is a bunch of new midrise condos built on the westbank side of the river. The new aquarium, just like the the East Bank, is currently under construction and is going to be quite a fine downtown aquarium. That's what I thought.

The day Downtown Detroit gets half of what Downtown Cleveland has, then we can talk. Otherwise, I meet hundreds of workers each year here in Downtown Cleveland who moved here from Detroit and can actually enjoy the city after hours. In Detroit, you have to worry if your car is going to get broken into because there is nothing around but urban fields, shootings, and office buildings that sit empty all nearby. Cultural offerings like Playhouse Square, the Warehouse District, East Fourth, the Gateway District, the Financial District, and the waterfront development is extremely hard to find in Downtown Detroit, and in most of those categories, Detroit doesn't have anything like them.

If you continue to disagree with my views (which doesn't take but a short trip down Woodward to downtown to see what I am talking about... it's clear as day.) Then please, send me a direct message, because this isn't about Detroit. You turned this debate into a several posting discussion which I don't think was warranted, but I have no problem continuing this discussion in a direct message.
I would agree with this. There is no comparison between downtown Detroit and downtown Cleveland. Cleveland is much more lively and vibrant with far, far better residential districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 04:27 PM

465 posts, read 356,559 times
it is good to get other points of view. As a middle age man of average health, I walk around downtown all the time without thinking twice. Its the safest neighborhood in cincinnati statistically. similarly I can think of 25 restaurants downtown to go to for dinner. Maybe the downtown council needs to do a better job advertising them and they need to sign their locations more prominently

Old 11-05-2011, 11:08 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,656,995 times
I wonder what the Yelp review would be for this incident, which happened tonight:

Woman kidnapped, robbed in Symmes Twp. | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

As I said earlier, it happens everywhere - yes, even Fields Ertel. And, quite frankly, I'll take panhandlers asking me for money any day than being involved in a terrifying situation such as this. I hope this poor woman is OK.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:10 PM

2,554 posts, read 5,841,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hall View Post
it is good to get other points of view. As a middle age man of average health, I walk around downtown all the time without thinking twice. Its the safest neighborhood in cincinnati statistically. similarly I can think of 25 restaurants downtown to go to for dinner. Maybe the downtown council needs to do a better job advertising them and they need to sign their locations more prominently
This is exactly what Cincinnati needs to do, promote downtown a lot better. You can't go off what negative suburbanites say about the city that haven't been there in years. I was always suprised by what people in West Chester would say about downtown, and I would get there and I would find it a hell of a lot more active than anything in West Chester. I guess it is just America's image of city centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati