Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 05:23 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times

Advertisements

Quoting from a Yelp review of a downtown Cincinnati hotel by a female guest, who reinforces the point I've tried to make several times about panhandlers. And I know exactly where she's coming from (pun intended), because I used to sometimes be a female business traveler staying alone in big city downtowns without a car. Yes, she probably should have talked to hotel desk staff before venturing out into the twilight. But I wonder how we fix this?

"WARNING TO WOMEN: Be careful walking around outside by yourself at night. NOTHING is open and there are tons of panhandlers and random thugs who will try and talk to you on the practically empty streets. I was trying to find a place to grab dinner at 7pm to bring back to my room and I didn't feel safe AT ALL. Which is going to force me to pay for overpriced room service the rest of my stay here."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 06:06 AM

307 posts, read 543,824 times
So what does being there entail? An applebees on the corner? No one who is different than me? I'm sorry that she felt uncomfortable but if you have xenophobic tendencies it's probably best to stay home.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:16 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Statistically, downtown is quite safe. We already criminalize panhandling. I agree that it is sad that the guest is afraid to leave her room; I wish she felt safer.

What is "there?"

BTW - which hotel?

Last edited by progmac; 10-27-2011 at 06:29 AM..

Old 10-27-2011, 06:26 AM

At and around fountain square there are a decent amount of options at 7. At 10 not so much but if you can't find something at 7 my sympathy for you lessens.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:50 AM

55 posts, read 89,560 times
This is why all women need to obtain a carry permit and take a gun with them when they are out alone at night in unfamiliar areas. I certainly feel safer when I have mine with me.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:58 AM

From looking at yelp it was the Hilton netherland.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:18 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
From looking at yelp it was the Hilton netherland.
Perhaps she ventured west instead of East towards the square. If you go that way, there isn't much and it is really empty because of the monolothic block-gobbling convention center and associated parking structures. Then again, it is hard to miss the square right outside of your hotel, where you have a hundred foot TV going and bands and whatever else happening.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:27 AM

Agreed, there are definitely hitems in more tucked away areas like the new residence inn. I could understand the argument if you were staying there or the dennison but at the Hilton it's much less of an issue.

Sadly it seems that the dennison always has no vacancy so I can't fulfill my dream of getting a room and taking pictures of it.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:33 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb I See It Sorta Differently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsrn View Post
This is why all women need to obtain a carry permit and take a gun with them when they are out alone at night in unfamiliar areas. I certainly feel safer when I have mine with me.
I'm sorry, but I gotta disagree just slightly here...I'm an Army vet, and at about 275 lbs, I back off from no man or beast...but even I know, the solution to something doesn't always involve 'busting a cap' in someone or punching someone in the mouth...

I am in favor of those who exercise responsible gun ownership, as you advocate (i.e. carry permits and firearms safety classes, and also proper weapon storage)...but then there are those who are ready to go all 'John Wayne' at a moment's notice, running off at the mouth about what they'd do in this situation or that situation, how big their gun is, what type of ammo they use, etc...I really hope that you're not a John Wayne in training, and would use discretion should you decide to 'pack' in public...

And to the topic at hand, I think JoeyTraveler was spot-on in some things he said...there ARE options for dining and such after 7pm, and to that end research is in order...

When my wife and I are downtown, we are ALWAYS alert, and aware of our surroundings...I'll be danged if I'm going to let some roving bands of numbnuts keep us prisoner in a hotel room, or anyplace else in the city...armed or unarmed

Old 10-27-2011, 08:33 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
I would discourage CC for women seeking to be left alone on the streets but for a different reason. Only the most extreme attack will justify using the CC weapon. An unused weapon is no weapon. I think a 13 ounce can of Bear Spray is more practical for the traveler. The US Forest Service says it will usually deter an 800 pound bear with fur on his face, so I am pretty sure that an aggressive panhandler will be discouraged and the traveler is less likely to get prosecuted. With a 30 foot range, I think the Bear Spray is a better bet. Don't forget to purchase the personal liability umbrella policy with your homeowners' insurance to cover the suits if you happen to spray a couple of innocent bystanders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati