U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 08:54 AM

1,879 posts, read 2,121,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Agreed--many coffee lovers probably still swear by Folgers because (like myself) they grew up with it during "the percolator era" of coffee brewing. Remember that TV commercial, eons ago, with the coffee pot that bubbled and popped in melodic fashion as it brewed? Anyway, times have changed, people have adopted specialty coffees and exotic brewing methods, and...alas...Procter & Gamble has spun off Folgers. It's a cruel, new world indeed, but CarpathianPeasant, I want you to know that as I'm typing this entree this morning, I'm doing so while enjoying a cup of Folgers, even though it's a merely a "singles bag" plopped in boiling water.

'Way, 'way back (before Folgers got a good hold) Maxwell House was it at our house. Now it doesn't even look good to me.

I use instant Folgers with distilled water (as described above by Wilson513), which I think makes all of them taste "clearer" and which may be why some of the cafe coffees taste better.

Yes, I heard P&G had sold it off. However it's still Ohio, upstate, Smucker's.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 12:48 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
I agree with Chemistry_Guy that White Castle has some good coffee. So does Dunkin Donuts. Boils down to what you desire, a good coffee fix or some sort of perceived treat. As the economy continues to decline I am skeptical about the future of the coffee palaces. When coffee becomes more expensive than beer there is no contest.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:19 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,950,603 times
Eh. I don't spend money on soda (at all) or most coffee that I don't brew at home. Unless it's an occasional social get-together with a friend at someplace like Starbucks, in which case I figure I'm paying more for the surroundings than the beverage. It may be trashy, but this time of year, though, when I have to work in the evening I can't resist the siren call of the uber-corn-syrupy pumpkin spice goup at Speedway. I dilute it half and half with dark roast, and add a little plain half and half. Wish I had a cup right now.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:56 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,694,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I agree with Chemistry_Guy that White Castle has some good coffee. So does Dunkin Donuts. Boils down to what you desire, a good coffee fix or some sort of perceived treat. As the economy continues to decline I am skeptical about the future of the coffee palaces. When coffee becomes more expensive than beer there is no contest.
Glad to know that Chemistry_Guy and you still stand by these two established java hotspots; like you said, if the economy tanks, we'll all survive if we know there's either one of these nearby. Back in my youthful working days (early 70s) in mornings I lived at White Castle--and now, in my retirement, I live only a half-mile from that Norwood White Castle. How good can retirement get?

Old 11-02-2011, 04:21 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,652,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I had Dunkin Donuts coffee once - in New York City about four years ago. It horrified me so much that I haven't had another cup since.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
I had Dunkin Donuts coffee once - in New York City about four years ago. It horrified me so much that I haven't had another cup since.
As for myself, I haven't had a cup from Dunkin Donuts in eons. Nowadays, my wife and I (being the two little coffee connoisseurs who we've evolved into) utilize only the French Press brewing method in the morning (using whole bean "Peets" French Roast coffee from Krogers and a very expensive bean grinder), but we stoop to making coffee "the Melita way" in the afternoon (mainly because nobody wants to clean the French press...) And we mix our own Half & Half, rather than use store brands. Our other little "tweaks" to extract the utmost from our efforts are too numerous to describe here, so let's just let it be said that we've become a pair of self-satisfied, coffee-imbibing snobs--in fact, we're so far gone that if someone served us Maxwell House Master-Blend coupled with dairy creamer and Sweet N' Low, we'd shoot ourselves in the head. (...no turning back once you've tasted truly good coffee)

Old 11-02-2011, 09:22 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
Quote:
As for myself, I haven't had a cup from Dunkin Donuts in eons. Nowadays, my wife and I (being the two little coffee connoisseurs who we've evolved into) utilize only the French Press brewing method in the morning (using whole bean "Peets" French Roast coffee from Krogers and a very expensive bean grinder), but we stoop to making coffee "the Melita way" in the afternoon (mainly because nobody wants to clean the French press...) And we mix our own Half & Half, rather than use store brands. Our other little "tweaks" to extract the utmost from our efforts are too numerous to describe here, so let's just let it be said that we've become a pair of self-satisfied, coffee-imbibing snobs--in fact, we're so far gone that if someone served us Maxwell House Master-Blend coupled with dairy creamer and Sweet N' Low, we'd shoot ourselves in the head. (...no turning back once you've tasted truly good coffee)

In regards to the French Press method, do you think that those last couple of degrees say between 200 F and boiling temperature are critical? I have a boiling water dispenser on the sink and have it set at 200F (which it tests at) but I just don't think I get a perfect cup from the French Press that way. I would say that one could probably rinse the French Press with 200 F water for quite a while without accumulating any off flavors.

But what about those last few degrees? Do you find that the kettle has to be whistling when you pour?

Old 11-02-2011, 11:31 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,121,445 times
Quote:

You can buy real honest-to-goodness coffee cream. (Cream, not "creamer" or half and half.)

Old 11-03-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
You can buy real honest-to-goodness coffee cream. (Cream, not "creamer" or half and half.)

You're absolutely correct! No true coffee purist would ever resort to Half & Half when pure cream is available--but my wife and I drink a ton of java, so we cut corners on expenses here. (We outta both be shot like dogs--or at least banned from any association with authentic coffee lovers!)

Old 11-05-2011, 06:56 AM

Before this thread fades away, I'd just like to thank several bona fide coffee lovers for their helpful observations:

(1) abr7rmj: your recommendation to try Caribou Coffee out in Blue Ash has forced my hand. Normally I shun thinking about traveling away from the center of town to such far-flung suburbs as this (please forgive me, kybrill, for saying this ), but this particular coffee shop, I'm afraid, presents an irresistible siren call... (BTW, Kroger does carry several blends of Caribou Coffee. Expensive)

(2) wolden: your mention of San Francisco's Caffe Trieste didn't go unnoticed. This coffee lover's paradise has an alluring website where an unwary coffee lover's addiction could easily max out his credit card. (if this happens to me, I'm gonna blame you )

(3) Wilson 513: yes, in use of the French Press, I'm certain water temperature is critical. If it's too high it brings out bitterness and if it's too low it blocks full flavor. Although I employ the Chef's Choice electric French Press, I also try to maintain 195-200 degrees when adding grounds to the water (probably in reverse of your method, where you're pouring water over the grounds?) Although a good one's expensive (for example, a Thermapen), an "instant-read" thermometer makes this task easy.

(4) Mircea: your recommendation of Sitwell's on Ludlow will certainly be at the top of my "java agenda." By accessing their website, I've learned a great deal about their entire menu and just know it's my kind of place! Although my wife and I have just returned to the city after a painfully long absence, we know and love Clifton & Ludlow--having lived on Hosea Ave. during the days of the Busy Bee, Virginia Bakery, and Unos--and also when the now-defunct Metro #53 wound its way up to Clifton via Mt. Auburn and Corryville. (I'm happy to have learned that the #39 Uptown now serves much the same route)

In closing, please allow me to ask a general question from an "outsider-returned-home"--any opinions on the "Tazza Mia Cafe" coffee shops downtown (especially the one in the Carew Tower arcade)? Months ago I had read about them in the Enquirer, but just last week I was delighted to enjoy an espresso there. How do they and their supposedly new brewing methods rate with the rest? Oh, BTW, my wife and I once again visited The Fresh Market on Oakley--wow, what a nice selection of coffees they have!

Last edited by motorman; 11-05-2011 at 07:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati