U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 01:56 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,754,530 times

Advertisements

My personal favorite is Sidewinder up on Hamilton in Northside, followed by Iris and that place on Central Parkway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 02:00 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,754,530 times
Interesting comments about White Castle and their coffee.

They have pretty much pulled out of Dayton, but I do like there coffee, and use White Castle as a pit stop for coffee (with a banana and orange) during my city walks while in Lousiville (WC is fairly common in Louisville). In Cincy I sometimes use the WC in Norwood since Im in Norwood once a month for a music event.

Tim Hortons is in Dayton and I agree compared to some of the local Donut places they are overrated for food (I do like their maple syrup danish)..but coffee is good.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:51 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,655,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
My personal favorite is Sidewinder up on Hamilton in Northside, followed by Iris and that place on Central Parkway.
That would be Coffee Emporium.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:28 PM

577 posts, read 1,005,061 times
Has anyone mentioned Collective Espresso on Woodward in OTR? Hands down the best cappuccino I have ever had.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:34 PM

13,714 posts, read 22,852,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8buckeye08 View Post
It will be interesting, as I think most of the Caribou locations in the area (except maybe West Chester) seemed to be decent locations.

I do think it makes sense to not change the local stores to Peets as it is just another West Coast, dark-and-fast roasted coffee, which I don't think plays to our midwestern palates. I used to HATE Starbucks brewed coffee, but have started buying brewed coffee again from then once they introduced the Blonde roasts.

The problem with a lot of the Caribou locations is that they were leased on the cheap in POOR locations. The local one is hidden in an small strip center in a very narrow space. There is only room for a few tables and it is claustrophobic.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:51 PM

101 posts, read 149,500 times
Thinking about it now.. that makes sense. All the locations I've been to have been "good locations", but the space is terrible.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:17 PM

14 posts, read 39,114 times
FUEL Coffee on Kellogg

Old 04-10-2013, 08:11 PM

13,714 posts, read 22,852,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8buckeye08 View Post
Thinking about it now.. that makes sense. All the locations I've been to have been "good locations", but the space is terrible.
I think that to be successful in the coffee house segment, you have to be in a location where people can sit comfortably for 30 minutes in an inviting place. The new Starbucks remodels are very comfortable.

The problem is that you also have to make it not so comfortable that people hang on too long. In Seattle, we could never find a place where there was an open seat. At some of the Panera locations near campuses, it is hard to find a seat as a paying customer as everyone is there for the free wifi.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:46 PM

89 posts, read 158,762 times
I'm quite a big fan of Aquarius Star/Om Café on Ludlow Avenue. You can usually find me there a few times a week working on something or other. They have a great selection of specialty drinks, four daily selections for bottomless coffee ($3 for all you can drink), an organic food menu, and they get their coffee beans from a partnership with Coffee Emporium, if I'm not mistaken. I also love the staff. It's a great counterbalance to Sitwell's, too, in terms of atmosphere, and it reminds me a lot of the 5 years I lived in Asheville, NC.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:32 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,142,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
We've done chili, pizza and beer, but what about coffee/coffee houses?

I checked out Caribou Coffee in Blue Ash (Reed Hartman at Cornell) today and it was very good. It looks like it's mostly an upper Midwest chain with a ton of locations in Minnesota and Wisconsin. It has a bunch of locations in Cleveland and Columbus, and a handful in the Cincinnati area including Blue Ash and Anderson Township. It's definitely better that Starbucks.

The best coffee house in Cincinnati, in my opinion, is Coffee Emporium on Central Parkway downtown. Not only is the product excellent, but the atmosphere is perfect.

Thoughts?
Starbucks is where it's at, and I'm not even a big coffee drinker.

Starbucks had the right idea when they stole Peter Gibbon's from Glidden and made him the executive VP of supply chain. The man worked wonders back when I worked for Glidden, and it's no surprise that Starbucks' stock price has more than doubled under his guidance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati