U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 01:43 PM

2,473 posts, read 1,970,032 times
Default Best coffee in Cincinnati?

We've done chili, pizza and beer, but what about coffee/coffee houses?

I checked out Caribou Coffee in Blue Ash (Reed Hartman at Cornell) today and it was very good. It looks like it's mostly an upper Midwest chain with a ton of locations in Minnesota and Wisconsin. It has a bunch of locations in Cleveland and Columbus, and a handful in the Cincinnati area including Blue Ash and Anderson Township. It's definitely better that Starbucks.

The best coffee house in Cincinnati, in my opinion, is Coffee Emporium on Central Parkway downtown. Not only is the product excellent, but the atmosphere is perfect.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 02:12 PM

8,381 posts, read 11,561,708 times
Well, I have to agree with abr on this one. The Central Pky location is superb. Great place to spend the day. Eclectic roomy and hip. One of OTR's treasures (its on the north side of the street).

Old 10-28-2011, 02:44 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,458,397 times
WHen I was there, I stopped at College Hill coffee after hiking in Mt. Airy Forest. I thought it was a really nice, cozy place.

The other time I went I went to the Central Pkway one.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:56 PM

406 posts, read 448,193 times
The Coffee Emporium also has a very pleasant shop on Erie in (east?) Hyde Park.
The Mariemont Starbucks is pretty nice place too.
Those two have the best overall experience that I've found. In terms of great coffee, I don't think Cincinnati has much great coffee. There used to be a nice coffee shop on Mt Adams that served very good coffee but it closed.

By far the best coffee I've had in the last 5 years was Caffe Trieste in North Beach, San Francisco. That is the real thing, if you ever get a chance to drop by:

Caffe Trieste - Great Coffee Online

Old 10-29-2011, 01:40 PM

1,183 posts, read 810,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolden View Post
The Coffee Emporium also has a very pleasant shop on Erie in (east?) Hyde Park.
The Mariemont Starbucks is pretty nice place too.
Those two have the best overall experience that I've found. In terms of great coffee, I don't think Cincinnati has much great coffee. There used to be a nice coffee shop on Mt Adams that served very good coffee but it closed.

By far the best coffee I've had in the last 5 years was Caffe Trieste in North Beach, San Francisco. That is the real thing, if you ever get a chance to drop by:

Caffe Trieste - Great Coffee Online

A lot of people believe in Folgers.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:44 PM

8,638 posts, read 6,303,045 times
What's the best coffee in Cincinnati - at my house of course! I use only 100% Columbian from Kroger. Why is it the best? - because I fix it the strength I like - What else? And NO you are not invited over to sample.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:34 PM

8,381 posts, read 11,561,708 times
I would recommend for those who brew coffee at home to try it with distilled demineralized water just once. Not just the Ice Mountain bottled water, but the stuff that says "distilled." It costs about the same. Buy a gallon. I think people would be in for a big surprise.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:31 AM

2,100 posts, read 1,425,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
A lot of people believe in Folgers.

Agreed--many coffee lovers probably still swear by Folgers because (like myself) they grew up with it during "the percolator era" of coffee brewing. Remember that TV commercial, eons ago, with the coffee pot that bubbled and popped in melodic fashion as it brewed? Anyway, times have changed, people have adopted specialty coffees and exotic brewing methods, and...alas...Procter & Gamble has spun off Folgers. It's a cruel, new world indeed, but CarpathianPeasant, I want you to know that as I'm typing this entree this morning, I'm doing so while enjoying a cup of Folgers, even though it's a merely a "singles bag" plopped in boiling water.

Last edited by motorman; 10-30-2011 at 04:58 AM..

Old 11-01-2011, 10:42 PM

10,304 posts, read 5,621,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
The best coffee house in Cincinnati, in my opinion, is Coffee Emporium on Central Parkway downtown. Not only is the product excellent, but the atmosphere is perfect.

Thoughts?
I'd rather pay the $1.75 and ride the 15 minute ride on the 17/18 to Sitwell's Cafe on Ludlow before I walked 3 blocks to Coffee Emporium.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:10 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,317,294 times
I'm not much of a morning coffee drinker, and I generally only drink it at all after a nice meal, spiked with something.

However, when I absolutely need some caffeine to wake up, my favorite morning coffee is at the Norwood White Castle on Montgomery Road. There is a coffee emporium 200 yards from my office, but I still prefer the White Castle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati