U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-28-2011, 08:32 PM
 
37 posts, read 115,745 times
Reputation: 59

Advertisements

I just bought a condo over on Ashworth drive (yay!) but since it was a short sale, it needs a fresh coat of paint. It's about 1000sqft, and almost all of the rooms need to be painted.

I'd like to have a high quality job done, but I'm finding it hard to find non-schill reviews online.

Anyone have a good experience with a local painting company?

Also, on a side note - where should I buy carpet that can install it quickly? Home Depot takes 2-3 weeks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-28-2011, 08:42 PM
 
10,139 posts, read 22,435,726 times
Reputation: 8244
The carpet is easy. That would be JLG Flooring. Talk to Steve Stille or his father.

Welcome to JLG Flooring - The Flooring Professionals - Serving Loveland, OH with Quality Flooring Products & Installation

Now, the interior painting is a little harder. Is there much prep work to do? Drywall repair, wallpaper removal? I'd say that you should call Mark Schoeney tomorrow and ask him to stop by if there is a lot of prep work. No one is more meticulous than Mark. Call his cell phone five one three-260-2189.

I can give you another good painter, but i know his schedule and it will be months to get him in.

Last edited by Wilson513; 10-28-2011 at 08:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2011, 09:02 PM
 
37 posts, read 115,745 times
Reputation: 59
Wilson, you're amazing. I haven't posted much here but every time I do you answer my questions with spot-on advice within a couple of hours. It's actually largely because of your recommendation in a previous thread that I focused so much on the Ashworth drive area, and ultimately found the perfect unit for me - garage and all - for a steal of a price.

I'll check out both of your recs tomorrow! There isn't much prep work actually - couple of nail and screw holes to be filled, but the biggest problem is just lots of stains from previous furniture, spills, etc. The drywall itself is in surprisingly good condition. No wallpaper to be removed.

Here's a picture of the living room - you can see the large red stain across the entire left wall

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/7126/127613982.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2011, 09:37 PM
 
10,139 posts, read 22,435,726 times
Reputation: 8244
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerpro3 View Post
Wilson, you're amazing. I haven't posted much here but every time I do you answer my questions with spot-on advice within a couple of hours. It's actually largely because of your recommendation in a previous thread that I focused so much on the Ashworth drive area, and ultimately found the perfect unit for me - garage and all - for a steal of a price.

I'll check out both of your recs tomorrow! There isn't much prep work actually - couple of nail and screw holes to be filled, but the biggest problem is just lots of stains from previous furniture, spills, etc. The drywall itself is in surprisingly good condition. No wallpaper to be removed.

Here's a picture of the living room - you can see the large red stain across the entire left wall

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/7126/127613982.jpg
Very nice. Congrats! I love that place. I hope you are going to leave that living room floor with just an area rug, if that. Call Mark late morning (he's a late riser on Sat.), I'll let him know you are calling (emailed him just now). He is working an interior crew right now down at Erie and Whitney renovating those apartments on the left as you pass Bramble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2011, 11:03 PM
 
37 posts, read 115,745 times
Reputation: 59
Thanks! I love the hardwood and don't plan on touching it. The carpet is for the bedroom (current carpet is stained beyond repair).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2011, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Mason, OH
9,259 posts, read 13,374,610 times
Reputation: 1920
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerpro3 View Post
Thanks! I love the hardwood and don't plan on touching it. The carpet is for the bedroom (current carpet is stained beyond repair).
That stain on the living room wall appears to be a straight line. Must have been from the back of a sectional sofa which bled into the wall. Preparation should include washing the walls. Most people want to skip this step, but if the wall surface is in decent shape washing will remove most spots, stains and spills, etc. so you get a nice uniform finish with the new paint.

My father used wallpaper cleaner to prepare the walls first and remove the majority of the dirt as it is a dry cleaner and prevents the soil from soaking into the existing paint. Since the majority of current interior paint is latex based, it is porous and soil when softened with water can penetrate into it. Once that happens it is very difficult to remove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2011, 09:15 AM
 
10,139 posts, read 22,435,726 times
Reputation: 8244
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
That stain on the living room wall appears to be a straight line. Must have been from the back of a sectional sofa which bled into the wall. Preparation should include washing the walls. Most people want to skip this step, but if the wall surface is in decent shape washing will remove most spots, stains and spills, etc. so you get a nice uniform finish with the new paint.

My father used wallpaper cleaner to prepare the walls first and remove the majority of the dirt as it is a dry cleaner and prevents the soil from soaking into the existing paint. Since the majority of current interior paint is latex based, it is porous and soil when softened with water can penetrate into it. Once that happens it is very difficult to remove.
These days they all seem to use a coat of drywall sealer, then a color coat or two if its a thin color like yellow or a dark color. Or, they tint the drywall sealer with the color. But, you sure are right. A good looking job comes from good prep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top