U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 07:49 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,655,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
It is just a charter amendment, and like any other charter amendment can be voted out anytime in the future. If it actually passes it just might mean the residents of Cincinnati feel other considerations are more important.
How many times do you want to go to the polls on this issue kjbrill? How about annually? Because that's where we're headed. We already said yes to streetcars once, but here we are again. If streetcars are approved again, we'll be back at it again in a year or two.

It's the dialogue that never ends. I'm sick of hearing about it. We already said yes to this ... I don't feel like going through this divisive narrative in 2013, I really don't. So no, it can't be voted out. Because Chris Smitherman and COAST and other ignorant haters will always be there to block it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 10:41 AM

3,707 posts, read 6,572,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Shall the Charter of the City of Cincinnati be amended to prohibit the City, the City Manager, the Mayor, the Council and the City's various boards, commissions, agencies and departments from spending or appropriating any monies or incurring any indebtedness or contractual obligations for the purpose of financing, designing, engineering, constructing, building or operating a streetcar system which means a system of passenger vehicles operated on rails constructed primarily in existing public right of ways through the year 2020, by enacting new Article XVI
How is this to be interpreted.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:57 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,431,459 times
Well, a good day brings out the nuts and losers to the polls. Too bad. I wish it had been 28 degrees and freezing rain out. But let's just see what happens.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:15 PM

901 posts, read 1,952,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Extra time on your hands, anyone?
We had a drawn-out discussion about this earlier in the year, and it caused a lot of contention. Hate to see it being rehashed, when really all I'm reading is the same old thing from everyone. Just sayin'.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:58 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,954,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
We had a drawn-out discussion about this earlier in the year, and it caused a lot of contention. Hate to see it being rehashed, when really all I'm reading is the same old thing from everyone. Just sayin'.
Me, too, unless it gives me another chance to rant about

CODE ENFORCEMENT.

haha.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:01 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,371,704 times
Quote:
You pretty well have drawn the right conclusion. Those who have their lines drawn in the sand and are not likely to do anything other then expose their conclusion do not really care what you post in return. It is one of the fragments of our American culture, we have become intolerant of each other. The lacking of accepting honest discord with our beliefs and the willingness to discuss them will likely be our downfall in this economic cycle.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Well here's something new to chew on:

$4.50 gas prices predicted next summer

And we're going to ban rail in our city for the next decade. If it wasn't so pathetic, it would be downright hysterical.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:36 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,431,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Well here's something new to chew on:

$4.50 gas prices predicted next summer

And we're going to ban rail in our city for the next decade. If it wasn't so pathetic, it would be downright hysterical.
It would cost far more to move people by train in our locale, by a multiple, not just incrementally. What we don't need is an 800,000 pound train roaring up and down the tracks all day looking for stooges to take from a to b with a full compliment of union workers manning it. In Portland, where it does seem to work well, it takes twice as long to compute than by car and the subsidy is around $20 per passenger per trip or about half a tank of gas in your Honda. And, in Portland, they have more cars per person than in nearby Olympia that has no commuter trains. So explain how rail is a good thing again?

Old 11-08-2011, 02:40 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,371,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
It's the dialogue that never ends. I'm sick of hearing about it. We already said yes to this ... I don't feel like going through this divisive narrative in 2013, I really don't. So no, it can't be voted out. Because Chris Smitherman and COAST and other ignorant haters will always be there to block it.
When you have to label those who disagree with you as ignorant, guess what that labels you. As long as there is a provision for getting signatures on petitions to put an issue on the ballot, this is the way it will be. It is called the American Way. When not enough people are interesting in objecting, the issue will be put to rest. It does not appear that has yet happened in Cincinnati.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
When you have to label those who disagree with you as ignorant, guess what that labels you. As long as there is a provision for getting signatures on petitions to put an issue on the ballot, this is the way it will be. It is called the American Way. When not enough people are interesting in objecting, the issue will be put to rest. It does not appear that has yet happened in Cincinnati.
Call me whatever you like kjbrill, I've heard it from you before. But yes, Chris Smitherman, COAST and his/their cronies are absolutely ignorant (that's the most polite term I can use on this board to describe them). And I believe should Smitherman unfortunately be elected to City Council we'll all see it up close soon enough. I was around for Smitherman's last term on Council and it was extremely divisive, combative and tense. There's nothing to suggest that this time it won't be a lot worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati