U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 10:44 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,652,150 times

Advertisements

Turns out this city wasn't crazy after all.

Good job Cincinnati!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 06:19 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,404,584 times

I weep for the future.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:01 AM

3,377 posts, read 3,693,454 times
^ Ah, come on, Wilson513, you're still among friends and we'll still love 'ya in the morning...

Old 11-09-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post

I weep for the future.
I'm weeping tears of joy. Or maybe that's the rare Wednesday morning mini-hangover I'm nursing after celebrating late last night!

Old 11-09-2011, 08:36 AM

901 posts, read 1,950,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Well here's something new to chew on:

$4.50 gas prices predicted next summer

And we're going to ban rail in our city for the next decade. If it wasn't so pathetic, it would be downright hysterical.
We've been reading these same reports for a long time now. And earlier this year you were trying to use the same argument, that gas prices were going to hit $5 a gallon before they'd ever drop back toward the $2.50 range. Remember? Here, I'll remind you of what you posted: http://www.city-data.com/forum/18909132-post679.html

So could we please not get back into a back-and-forth volley involving the use of hyperbole, because it really doesn't help the discussion. The price didn't go above $4.00, like someone else had alluded to, did it? In fact, a few weeks ago gas was going for $3.01 here in Oxford...yes, it had come DOWN after being up much higher. I even got an additional .20 knocked of per gallon by using my Kroger Plus card. Gas prices are going to fluctuate, but I don't see the government allowing it to get so high that it totally wrecks our economy. The Middle East wouldn't benefit from jacking it up, either. They want to keep it as low as they can to still ensure there are world customers who will buy it. (Not that I think the US should remain dependent upon Middle East oil.)

Quote:
Call me whatever you like kjbrill, I've heard it from you before. But yes, Chris Smitherman, COAST and his/their cronies are absolutely ignorant (that's the most polite term I can use on this board to describe them). And I believe should Smitherman unfortunately be elected to City Council we'll all see it up close soon enough. I was around for Smitherman's last term on Council and it was extremely divisive, combative and tense. There's nothing to suggest that this time it won't be a lot worse.
Should you be rejoicing or crying right now? The streetcars will go forth, but Smitherman was elected to city council? How do you feel about that?

Quote:
Turns out this city wasn't crazy after all.

Good job Cincinnati!
Yes, congratulations to those who supported it. Let's hope the right decision was made for the city. Only time will tell.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post

Should you be rejoicing or crying right now? The streetcars will go forth, but Smitherman was elected to city council? How do you feel about that?
I certainly didn't vote for Smitherman, but he was elected so that's what we have. The good news is that the new Council is overwhelmingly pro-streetcar, by a 7-2 margin, so unless Smitherman decides to work with the mayor and his colleagues in constructive ways, he'll find himself on the definitive short end of a lot of 7-2 votes.

Listening to him on WLW last night, however, he sounded as if he acknowledged that this was the second time the voters have spoken on the issue and that's that. If he uses his considerable financial planning background and expertise in positive ways to foster job creation, he'll be an asset. If not, he'll be powerless. We'll see.

Hopefully he learned his lesson from his last Council term, when he was promptly voted out for his contentious ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati