U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 11:39 AM

405 posts, read 753,922 times

Advertisements

No one likes to read or hear this or even talk about it, in my experience. But the problem is, it is getting worse and worse. Only 6 years ago the figure was 35%.
We are right behind Detroit. If nothing is done things could just get worse and worse...eventually this sort of thing can drag down a city. On the other hand I don't know what could really be done to reverse this.

City's childhood poverty third worst in nation | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

Old 11-03-2011, 02:18 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
Sad, sad, sad, these kind of reports are depressing. These kinds of statistics must be affected by the number of people fleeing the City.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:01 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,729,880 times
i don't want to underplay the fact that this is a HUGE problem. the general lack of compassion for the poor in this country and this city really breaks my heart.

BUT - Cincinnati has a huge proportion of multi-family (think 4 units or more) properties compared with most cities. less than half of our housing stock is detached single family. i think this fact alone probably puts us way up on lists like this.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:08 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,424,007 times
I like the way when a sympathetic article about the poor is written, the poor family is always a white lady with a nice face, attractive urchins by her side an a disabled husband living at home. In fact, the vast majority of the poor everywhere are the drug and alcohol addicted persons, criminals, and those persons who have made the choice to have a flock of babies around (the safety and education of which they mostly ignore) despite the absence of a job, a father supporting them, or any plan to get either.

Of course we all support the chronically ill and the disabled. And the elderly. Of course we do. They are not the problem.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:09 AM

31,193 posts, read 57,331,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
BUT - Cincinnati has a huge proportion of multi-family (think 4 units or more) properties compared with most cities. less than half of our housing stock is detached single family. i think this fact alone probably puts us way up on lists like this.
Add the city's low home ownership rate to that (last I heard it was around 36 percent).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
In fact, the vast majority of the poor everywhere are the drug and alcohol addicted persons, criminals, and those persons who have made the choice to have a flock of babies around
You know, Wilson, I just don't think that's true. Most of the people who came for help to the various social service agencies I have worked for in Cincinnati were the working poor -- the people who were trying to choose between fixing their car or getting themselves to the doctor, and buying food or paying the rent. They either had jobs that didn't pay much and/or had no benefits, or had become unemployed. They had undiagnosed mental illnesses, or another chronic illness, but couldn't qualify for Medicaid to get help, and therefore became unemployed again ... and the circle continues.

Quote:
Of course we all support the chronically ill and the disabled. And the elderly. Of course we do. They are not the problem.
Do we? Think about it.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:14 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,729,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Add the city's low home ownership rate to that (last I heard it was around 36 percent).
actually, i think one predicts the other. if only 40% of our housing stock is single family, then it stands to reason the home ownership rate is going to be something less than 40%. so the only effective way to increase home ownership would be to increase the proportion of single family homes -- this could be accomplished by decreasing the inventory of multifamilies, building more single families, or both.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:18 AM

405 posts, read 753,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
the poor family is always a white lady with a nice face...In fact, the vast majority of the poor everywhere are the drug and alcohol addicted persons, criminals, and those persons who have made the choice to have a flock of babies around (the safety and education of which they mostly ignore) despite the absence of a job, a father supporting them, or any plan to get either.
I think you are thinking of what they call the "extreme" poor (see article below). Cincinnati actually has less "extreme" poor than just plain poor. A single person would be "extreme" if their annual income was less than $5,500 or thereabouts.

A lot of the non-extreme poor, like Ohiogirl said, actually have jobs. They just don't get paid enough.

Even though Cincinnati's "extreme" poor increased, the good news is it isn't as bad as it could be-- we ere ranked #23 in the country not #3!

Report finds city's poor in concentrated areas | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

Old 11-05-2011, 02:04 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,889,368 times
Have no fear, Wilson513, before you know, ALL of the unions will be busted up, America's long haul trucking fleet will based in Mexico where the drivers will be paid starvation wages and be able to smuggle more cheap labor into the country. And even more jobs will be outsourced overseas or employees turned into "independent contractors" who will only be independent of decent wages and benefits. Then America's fat cats will truly have it made...

Old 11-05-2011, 02:20 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,424,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Have no fear, Wilson513, before you know, ALL of the unions will be busted up, America's long haul trucking fleet will based in Mexico where the drivers will be paid starvation wages and be able to smuggle more cheap labor into the country. And even more jobs will be outsourced overseas or employees turned into "independent contractors" who will only be independent of decent wages and benefits. Then America's fat cats will truly have it made...

Oh, please. Don't predict such doom and gloom. I support unions, just not public employee unions. Think about it. School board members and City Councilpersons get elected largely as a result of PACs, pressure groups, unions, etc. These groups have a monopoly. There is only one public school system, one police force, one garbage collection department. If they go on strike, no school, no police, no garbage pick up. Then these same officials negotiate with the groups who elected them in the first place but are spending taxpayers money. It is a failed system. Public sector workers have a monopoly and should not be permitted to collectively bargain. Period. It is just ridiculous. The federal government doesn't allow it, why should the schools, police or fire?

Old 11-05-2011, 02:49 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,123,049 times
Okay, let's be scientific here.

Item #1: The poor you always have with you. (Bible says so.) That's because there is always someone who has less than you just like there is always someone who has more than you. (The latter are "the rich.")

Item #2: The place where you live is not an indication of whether you are rich or poor. There are plenty of deadbeat homeowners (and landlords) and plenty of responsible renters, suburban as well as inner city.

People should be viewed as first class citizens until proven otherwise. Now, there's a source of the problem; some people are always busy trying to imply they are better than others.

Item #3: Old cities were not designed for automobiles. That's another problem that needs resolving. That's why suburbs look good and cities don't. A view from a car is different from a view on foot.

And, that's enough for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or