Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:42 PM

33 posts, read 124,538 times

Advertisements

My husband is looking into a possible job offer in Cincinnati and we are looking for information on safe, nice areas to rent outside of the immediate city. We are somewhat clueless as we would be relocating from the northeast. We are a professional couple, no children, but with 2 dogs. Budget is not an issue, just want to find something that will fit our needs. Interested in renting until we become more familiar with the area at which point our plan is to buy a home. Any help or ideas on neighborhoods or areas would be appreciated. Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 06:18 AM

74 posts, read 188,981 times
Hi, I recently moved here from the Northeast also. Please start by telling us what part of the city your jobs are located, and what is your ideal commute time. Do you want to rent in an apt complex (many take dogs) or a rental home. Also when you do buy, will there be kids in the future; for school district purposes? Do you want a suburban feel or a city vibe? Check out these neighborhoods: http://www.cincy.com/home/neighborhoods.html#

Last edited by kelent; 10-31-2011 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 10-31-2011, 06:24 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,940,075 times
why outside of the city? there are several nice, safe, and upscale neighborhoods in the city for DINKs with dogs. i would think hyde park, mount lookout, columbia tusculum, or parts of oakley (all city neighborhoods) would be what you're looking for. a nice blend of young singles, couples, and families - a great park system for the dogs; a city vibe but very very safe. next would be maybe mariemont and then if you want a more suburban, quiet cul-de-sac feel: madeira, blue ash, montgomery, mason, loveland. a nice rental in these places is likely in the 1200-1500 range.

good luck. more parameters would help. rent, the kind of vibe you want, commuting times and distances, etc.

forum note: someone should type up a list of the usual questions we need answered to start suggesting places to live. this list could be a sticky at the top and these types of posts could use it as a template.

Last edited by progmac; 10-31-2011 at 06:38 AM..

Old 10-31-2011, 06:37 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,297,237 times
My wife and I are a professional couple with no kids and a dog as well. While our house now has a nice big yard for the dog to run in, I know that some people get along just fine using dog parks and more long walks. If you want a big yard, you generally will have to give up some walkability in the neighborhood.

Depending on how far outside the city you want to be, a good option on the east side of Cincinnati is Mariemont. There are a lot of rental options, and it is one of the few non-city neighborhoods that makes an attempt to maintain a walkable central business district. Before my best friend bought his house in Hyde park, he and his wife lived in Mariemont with their dogs and loved it. Their commute to downtown was usually less than 15 minutes at 7:30.

There are probably a lot of options on the west and Kentucky side of Cincinnati as well.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:47 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,346 times
May I be one of the first posters to welcome the both of you to Cincinnati, a truly beautiful and cultured city you'll hopefully soon call home. Believe me, I heard you when you specifically stated that you were interested in renting outside of the immediate city, so I won't try to sell you on moving where you don't want. However, since you also mentioned that you're from the NE and unfamiliar with the city, may I encourage you to examine several of Cincinnati's premier and plush inner-ring suburbs before making any final decisions. These established, old-line communities (several miles or more to the east/northeast of downtown) are Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, Oakley, Mariemont, Madeira, and Kenwood. They're loaded with terrific shopping and eating amenities that professional people expect, along with the security that they demand. Please don't categorically rule these much-admired and sought-after neighborhoods out before seeing them.

However, it would be helpful if you could share where your husband's job will be (either the suburb or the street, etc.) and how far he's willing to commute. Cincinnati's outer-ring suburbs and exburbs are too numerous to all be mentioned here (many of them are in northern Kentucky), but they also offer great amenities, also along with obviously much newer homes in general. Immediately, several come to mind: Mason, Blue Ash, West Chester, all to the north/northeast. But in no way does this short list exhaust what's around the city in all directions. This forum has many knowledgeable posters who will be more than willing to help you, the more they know about your specific needs. Welcome to the "Queen City."

Old 10-31-2011, 09:04 AM

Also interested in average utility costs for the area (Mariemont, Hyde Park etc.). Heat, electricity, cable etc. for a 1000 square foot home or apartment for example, just to give us some overall ideas. Thanks again!

Old 10-31-2011, 09:22 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,940,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwebs002 View Post
Also interested in average utility costs for the area (Mariemont, Hyde Park etc.). Heat, electricity, cable etc. for a 1000 square foot home or apartment for example, just to give us some overall ideas. Thanks again!
We have a 1500 sf place and not much in terms of energy efficiency and our electric / gas bill (this is gas heat/ac + electric) works out to about $140 a month on average. Cable plus internet is like a hundred bucks.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:19 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,791,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
We have a 1500 sf place and not much in terms of energy efficiency and our electric / gas bill (this is gas heat/ac + electric) works out to about $140 a month on average. Cable plus internet is like a hundred bucks.
Yes, kind of indicative in our society we will pay $140 a month to be warm in the winter or cool in the summer, but the internet access plus TV are worth 3/4 of that. Does say something about where our priorities are. Do you think the utilities have realized that?

Old 10-31-2011, 11:33 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,297,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Yes, kind of indicative in our society we will pay $140 a month to be warm in the winter or cool in the summer, but the internet access plus TV are worth 3/4 of that. Does say something about where our priorities are. Do you think the utilities have realized that?
It is the information age. It costs very little to push electrons around in conductors, but heating and cooling requires a lot of work(in the thermodynamic sense as well).

Old 10-31-2011, 12:40 PM

A yard for our dogs would be great too as they are used to it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: