U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 04:03 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,660,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Go on call me a City basher, as that is what you want to believe. Say I am always against living in the City, as that is another thing you want to believe. Ignore the fact I recently advised someone inquiring about relocation for a downtown job I would not advise a commute from Mason unless they had kids and just wanted good schools with a less than desirable commute. Just because I site some data that downtown revival is not all of the rosy aurora some would like to make it out to be does not mean I am against it. True, at my age and condition I have very little reason to go downtown. That does not mean I have to abdicate my interest as part of the Geater Cincinnati Community. What I object to is those painting a picture for downtown which is not yet true. Improving - Yes, already arrived - No. The savior of Cincinnati - hardly. An opportunity for high-end developers - definitely.
I am unaware of your age and condition, and if you can't travel I completely understand. No one wants you to do something you can't do, though I would be interested in your perspective being someone who has been away from the city center so long. If you truly haven't been downtown or OTR in years, you'd offer a lot of valuable insight following a visit. But please don't make blanket judgments on downtown based solely on local television news or Internet ramblings.

Both have their agendas and neither paints a full picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 07:08 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,392,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
I am unaware of your age and condition, and if you can't travel I completely understand. No one wants you to do something you can't do, though I would be interested in your perspective being someone who has been away from the city center so long. If you truly haven't been downtown or OTR in years, you'd offer a lot of valuable insight following a visit. But please don't make blanket judgments on downtown based solely on local television news or Internet ramblings.

Both have their agendas and neither paints a full picture.
I pay very little attention to what is said on TV or in the press as they both are just looking for stories. I rely on my son for much of my information concerning the City. He is a Civil Engineer graduate of UC and worked for the City Engineering Dept. for a number of years. He lives in the City albeit at the edge in Mt Airy. He is a great promoter of the City, has season tickets to the Bengals and UC basketball, and participates in neighborhood councils. Several years ago he was directly requested by the City Manager to prepare a report concerning the status of the street rehabilition department. He called me and asked Dad what should I do, my investigations indicate they have been faking the actual amount of rehab being done. If I put that in a report to the City Manager the ****-is-going-to-hit-the-fan and my boss will likely be fired. I told him it is your integrity, say it like it is and resign after you submit the report. He now works for the Hamilton County Park District but maintains contact with others who work for the City.

Not wanting to just accept the position of those with an agenda is why I went to UrbanCincy for data, as they are obviously an advocate for the City. The original data I posted certainly indicate a substantial gain of about 40% in downtown residential over 6 years. But due to the horrible low level it had sunk to I hardly consider it an astounding gain compared to the City as a whole. Commendable yes, and in the right direction, but at a projected 3.5% of the City population hardly at the point of reversing the fortunes of the City.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:20 AM

307 posts, read 441,799 times
I'm out of town at the moment and check in my library but what are the historic values for residency in the CBD? When you see numbers referenced there often OtR or basin but not CBD specific. I'm talking from 1850's thru 1940's. I can check some books when I'm home but I'm not sure they broke it down this way. Its always been presented that a majority of the workforce lived in OtR and worked in the CBD. Mainly just wondering want some historic values for the CBD might be as I honestly have no idea. Any help?

Old 11-09-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
I'm out of town at the moment and check in my library but what are the historic values for residency in the CBD? When you see numbers referenced there often OtR or basin but not CBD specific. I'm talking from 1850's thru 1940's. I can check some books when I'm home but I'm not sure they broke it down this way. Its always been presented that a majority of the workforce lived in OtR and worked in the CBD. Mainly just wondering want some historic values for the CBD might be as I honestly have no idea. Any help?
I am having difficulty locating any good historical population figures for the downtown area. I did find one source indicating the population of OTR in 1850 was 43,000 or 29% of the entire City. It was obviously high density, particularly since there was also 16 breweries located there.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:10 PM

465 posts, read 356,916 times
It can be hard to find good rental housing in and near downtown because the demand is so high. I had two appartments rented out before I could take and look and fill out an application. That is why 3cdc is moving ahead so quickly with a couple hundred more and the Banks project is already full.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hall View Post
It can be hard to find good rental housing in and near downtown because the demand is so high. I had two appartments rented out before I could take and look and fill out an application. That is why 3cdc is moving ahead so quickly with a couple hundred more and the Banks project is already full.
These are all positive signs. But frankly several hundred more rental units in a City of about 300,000 is a drop in the bucket. I hope everything keeps moving forward, but it so far is not anywhere near a critical mass for the future of the City. Once we begin talking about 10,000 or 20,000 new residential units downtown it may make a difference.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 492 times
Think about it like this folks. For every new resident downtown, they are likely going to bring 10k-20k in annual spending to their immediate area, be it parking meters, markets, restaraunts, utilities, etc. For every 1000 additional people, that is like adding ten to twenty million dollars per year to the local economy. A few thousand residents is HUGE for downtown.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:10 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,960,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jklare View Post
Think about it like this folks. For every new resident downtown, they are likely going to bring 10k-20k in annual spending to their immediate area, be it parking meters, markets, restaraunts, utilities, etc. For every 1000 additional people, that is like adding ten to twenty million dollars per year to the local economy. A few thousand residents is HUGE for downtown.
Exactly. And I have plenty of work-related experience about this topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati