U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 11:51 AM

11 posts, read 13,314 times

Advertisements

I definitely already thought about getting a guard dog...but the fact that even the nice area of Walnut Hills has to worry about crime scares me a bit...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 05:44 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,929,204 times
No matter how "nice," no area is completely immune from crime. But the "sketch" factor in EWH is definitely on the high side around East McMillan. It's too close to the rotting Walnut Hills core (read about the big gang bust last week?) And the worst part of Evanston isn't far away. Have a look at DeSales Corner (Madison & Woodburn.) Fancy streetlights. Vacant storefronts. A restaurant/nightspot which has been reincarnated at least twice following failed ventures. Little pedestrian traffic except for before/after school and when something's going on at the church. What does that tell you?

When it comes to "oasis" neighborhoods - relatively safe surroundings and appealing homes on quiet streets, yet in close proximity to not-so-pleasant places - the better bets are North Avondale, Western Hills, central Roselawn, Westwood east to about Boudinot Ave, and northwestern Bond Hill. Northside also definitely has its "good" and "bad" streets. Your housing dollar will always go farther in areas like these as opposed to "Mayberry" communities such as Mt Lookout. But part of the price you pay is staying street smart at all times while installing deadbolted heavy doors + maybe a "ghetto gate" (hinged iron bars hung over the door) + perhaps an alarm system.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:47 PM

That puts things into perspective. I fell in love with the house and didn't really think hard about security issues. I'm torn now! But thank you so much for your input!

Old 11-13-2011, 12:38 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,929,204 times
BTW, as far as "nice" areas that have issues regardless, the Enquirer is reporting that no catalytic converter is safe in luxe Hyde Park lately. And one of my oasis neighborhoods has had issues over the past month. There's not been a whole rash of bad things going on, but the gaslight area of Roselawn was hit with five B & E's and several armed robberies on its streets during October. Given that every one of the incidents occurred between 10:30 PM and midnight, the same perp(s) were probably responsible. They'd made a big score on Eastlawn Dr and probably decided to see how good the pickings were nearby. By now they've likely either moved their operation elsewhere or been hauled in. Of course that's small consolation to the folks who got held up or came home to a cleaned-out house.
But, keeping things in perspective, I once was relieved of some valuables in Wyoming while a gun was held to the base of my left ribcage. And cars left unlocked at my sister's McMansion in Symmes Twp got looted overnight.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:34 PM

465 posts, read 356,019 times
Has does someone in Boston know all this about cincinnati today? Several of the neighborhoods you describe have changed for better and for worse in the last few years. How can you know about this from 1,000 miles away?

Old 11-13-2011, 03:08 PM

3,377 posts, read 3,693,454 times
^ One of several possible ways, Matthew. goyguy either keeps his personal Predator surveillance-craft aloft at all times above the Queen City or he possesses tremendously acute ESP or he has some very powerful connections with the "hidden world." So, my advice? Realize that "his ways are not our ways," steer clear of any disbelief, and glean whatever you can whenever you can when goyguy speaks to you from Boston... (No kidding!)

Last edited by motorman; 11-13-2011 at 03:37 PM..

Old 11-13-2011, 05:39 PM

Any more input about East Walnut hills today/

Old 11-13-2011, 06:19 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,404,584 times
Geez, this is the blind leading the blind. I should have looked at this thread before.

I assume this is 2527 Ingleside. This is a great example of the trouble with East Walnut Hills where I lived for 5 years and 3 break-ins. On one side of McMillan Street is the nicest of schools, churches and some very fine houses, some with City and River views. Four blocks away, subsidized housing, indigenous derelicts, and unattractive businesses. This property is in between like an island between a stormy sea and a lovely harbor.

With no view and no great charm, why would you want to live here?

On the other hand, if you have found something in the 2400 block, you will get my vote. McMillian Street is like a moat. Good on one side, not so good on the other.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:51 PM

405 posts, read 753,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mover50 View Post
Any more input about East Walnut hills today/
Well, if you want to give us a price range maybe we could suggest other areas to live. Why are you only looking at East Walnut Hills? If it is because the prices are lower, well, yes, there is a reason for that. The neighborhood isnt as good.

Why not go one mile further to Hyde Park? It has less crime than East Walnut hills by far.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:49 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,949,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hall View Post
Has does someone in Boston know all this about cincinnati today? Several of the neighborhoods you describe have changed for better and for worse in the last few years. How can you know about this from 1,000 miles away?
Cincinnati native, visits family here regularly, and by all appearances has a great interest in Cincinnati's varied neighborhoods. I don't always agree with his observations, but he's a detailed observer for sure.

And we generally don't see substantial change as rapid as a few years in this area. After living away for a long time I've been back 11 years now, and there are neighborhoods I can see small, incremental changes in, but nothing that really changes their character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati