U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 06:50 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,734,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hall View Post
Has does someone in Boston know all this about cincinnati today? Several of the neighborhoods you describe have changed for better and for worse in the last few years. How can you know about this from 1,000 miles away?
believe it or not, goygoy has boots on the ground in most of these neighborhoods more than those of us living in the city. i have family and friends who have been to westwood maybe once in the past three years, and they live here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Geez, this is the blind leading the blind. I should have looked at this thread before.
I may be blind, but I lived in "west" walnut hills on McMillan. Both my wife and I commuted by bus to different parts of town, me to the University and she to Evanston. I always caught the bus at the corner of Park and Taft. When we needed groceries between trips to the more reasonable Aldi on Reading, we did the rest of our grocery shopping by walking to the Kroger on McMillan. We both enjoyed the Walnut Hills library branch and would stroll there sometimes in the evening to participate in programming on if we had the time.

On Sundays, we would eat lunch at Skyline or Frisch's (now parkside) and either walk to Eden Park (to OP - this is one of the best urban parks in the country) or through pleasant and quiet East Walnut Hills, occasionally stopping by an open house to dream about someday being able to afford a 200,000 bungalow in what we thought of as the best neighborhood in the City.

So perhaps I've revealed my bias. I like Walnut Hills, I think it is a better neighborhood than Hyde Park. It has so much to offer, exactly how it is.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:16 AM

29 posts, read 63,612 times
I've been in and around Walnut Hills quite often this past year. I can safely say that East Walnut Hills is MUCH better than the other parts of Walnut Hills. I would be comfortable walking around late with another person. Would I buy a house there? Hmmm..I wouldn't be most comfortable raising kids there, but then again, every neighborhood can be sketchy. You just need to come down from NY and take a drive around before signing your life away!

Old 11-14-2011, 02:03 PM

11 posts, read 13,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Geez, this is the blind leading the blind. I should have looked at this thread before.

I assume this is 2527 Ingleside. This is a great example of the trouble with East Walnut Hills where I lived for 5 years and 3 break-ins. On one side of McMillan Street is the nicest of schools, churches and some very fine houses, some with City and River views. Four blocks away, subsidized housing, indigenous derelicts, and unattractive businesses. This property is in between like an island between a stormy sea and a lovely harbor.

With no view and no great charm, why would you want to live here?

On the other hand, if you have found something in the 2400 block, you will get my vote. McMillian Street is like a moat. Good on one side, not so good on the other.
Which street did you live on if you mind me asking?

Old 11-14-2011, 04:01 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,446,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mover50 View Post
Which street did you live on if you mind me asking?
I lived at the corner of Cleinview and Pomona. 2701 Cleinview if I recall correctly.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:53 PM

Ohhh. I'll be sure to stay away from that are then!

Old 11-15-2011, 02:14 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,446,164 times
Quote:
Ohhh. I'll be sure to stay away from that are then!
Trouble is, it is a nicer location than the 2500 block of Ingleside. Look at it on Google Street View. you'll see. All big houses around, just a block to close to the bad area. I dreamed that East Walnut Hills would be the community it coould be. I even tried to buy property there. It was an up and coming area in 1970. It may be a little better today, but it just doesn't seem to get any traction. I'd try Oakley.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:35 PM

Did you have a security system? A large dog?

Thanks!!

Old 11-18-2011, 05:13 PM

405 posts, read 754,410 times
Quote:
Did you have a security system? A large dog?
Mover,
You obviously follow this post closely, but you have never explained why you are so focused on east Walnut Hills?

Why are you opposed to considering other neighborhoods?

East Walnut Hills is an area where you are highly likely to lose home equity. That should be very high on your list of considerations when buying a house in Cincinnati.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolden View Post
East Walnut Hills is an area where you are highly likely to lose home equity.
I haven't seen any data to back up this up. Have you? In the long run, I've gotta say an established neighborhood two miles from downtown has pretty darn good prospects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati