U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2011, 06:04 PM
 
59 posts, read 82,895 times
Reputation: 39

Advertisements

In addition to pixelation and slow response problems, I have problems with the sound. The sound cuts out for a word or two and this happens especially when using the look back feature. The look back feature is available and then some times it is not available. (One morning I was watching some episodes on a channel, then it was not available, but later it was available again, same channel.) Start over does not always work even though the button displays on the channel upon switching.

My mother has CB's fioptics (?) but we our channel line-ups has some different channels from each other (just a few). It is not available for me yet. When they were installing hers the installer told me CB will expand to more areas, but he did not have a timetable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2011, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
1 posts, read 1,300 times
Reputation: 10
Where in Mason is FiOptics offered? We live in Greensboro, NC and enjoy AT&T's U-Verse service, but are relocating to Mason sometime next year and would love to have something besides TWC and satellite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2011, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
31,164 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Reputation: 52030
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Our local telephone co. is actually operated by Sprint which acquired United Telephone of Ohio years ago. You want to talk about getting raped for home phone service, they are the pros.
Oh, boy, do I remember those United Telephone days from when I lived in Lebanon. And not fondly, either. What a bunch of bozos they were, and with lousy service at that.

Shortly after moving to Lebanon from Cleveland, I called all my friends in Cleveland and Dayton, and told them I never wanted to hear them complain about Ohio Bell again, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2011, 04:59 AM
 
Location: Mason, OH
9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
Reputation: 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstewart66 View Post
Where in Mason is FiOptics offered? We live in Greensboro, NC and enjoy AT&T's U-Verse service, but are relocating to Mason sometime next year and would love to have something besides TWC and satellite.
The areas I am familiar with are the older neighborhoods with above ground wiring, CB ran their fiber right next to TW's cable on the same poles. My brother lives within 1/2 mile of me but in a newer subdivision with underground utilies. Apparently CB is picking off the easier installations first to build a business base. I have to think they will expand into the newer areas with underground utilities but I believe the installation cost is higher since they have to dig while being careful not to cut the existing utilities.

And just running the fiber into individual houses is more of a problem. The burying is easy, but avoiding such as irrigation systems, electric dog fences, and existing utilities is a problem since they are typically poorly identified.

Last edited by kjbrill; 11-12-2011 at 05:10 AM.. Reason: ad content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2011, 05:39 AM
 
2,886 posts, read 3,949,834 times
Reputation: 1499
My husband is now reporting a new problem: he schedules a recording based on the time and channel information in the online guide, comes back later to view it and finds that the identifying information that appears in that rectangular box at the bottom of the screen is consistent with what he intended to record, but it's an entirely different program. Freakin' unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2011, 06:48 AM
 
Location: Mason, OH
9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
Reputation: 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
My husband is now reporting a new problem: he schedules a recording based on the time and channel information in the online guide, comes back later to view it and finds that the identifying information that appears in that rectangular box at the bottom of the screen is consistent with what he intended to record, but it's an entirely different program. Freakin' unbelievable.
Sarah, you are getting too uptight over this. Maybe you need to switch to one of the satellite providers. DISH says they will give you everything you need cheap. Of course I know that is a sucker play.

At our age, the wife and I don't need DVR and all of that fancy stuff. We are rarely away when the program airs in the first place. In fact, we watch almost none of the so called network TV, as we detest the reality shows, etc. The wife now has the TV in our bedroom tuned to the METV channel 24/7. Since we retire so early, I usually wake up when 12-Oclock high is airing. Then it is Combat, followed by Rawhide with Clint Eastwood. By this time I am ready to get up and make coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2011, 07:08 AM
 
2,886 posts, read 3,949,834 times
Reputation: 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Sarah, you are getting too uptight over this. Maybe you need to switch to one of the satellite providers. DISH says they will give you everything you need cheap. Of course I know that is a sucker play.

At our age, the wife and I don't need DVR and all of that fancy stuff. We are rarely away when the program airs in the first place. In fact, we watch almost none of the so called network TV, as we detest the reality shows, etc. The wife now has the TV in our bedroom tuned to the METV channel 24/7. Since we retire so early, I usually wake up when 12-Oclock high is airing. Then it is Combat, followed by Rawhide with Clint Eastwood. By this time I am ready to get up and make coffee.
Well, I clearly said at the outset that the thread was to give people a place to vent about TWC. I guess you wouldn't grasp this, but it really annoys me to be paying a ginormous bill every month for something that I'm supplied with only a sporadic service for. Have to admit, this kind of meek acceptance does seem to be something a lot of people around here got ample early training in, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2011, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Mason, OH
9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
Reputation: 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Well, I clearly said at the outset that the thread was to give people a place to vent about TWC. I guess you wouldn't grasp this, but it really annoys me to be paying a ginormous bill every month for something that I'm supplied with only a sporadic service for. Have to admit, this kind of meek acceptance does seem to be something a lot of people around here got ample early training in, though.
I did not mean you should just accept inferior performance. For years we felt TW was charging us a fortune here in Mason. I was extremely pleased to see CB come in with their FIOPTICS service. The competition has dropped everyone's cost. I have heard horror stories about CB service also, but I don't think they can be any worse than TW. I honestly meant maybe Direct TV or Dish Network might provide the TV service you desire. I would have considered one of them except for the fact high speed Internet has become more important to us. The wife and I are on it quite a few hours a day. Have you contacted CB to see if they have FIOPTICS in your neighborhood? I am not saying it surpasses TW, I am just saying the competition is good for everyone and maybe TW will shape up.

Last edited by kjbrill; 11-12-2011 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2011, 11:45 AM
 
2,886 posts, read 3,949,834 times
Reputation: 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I did not mean you should just accept inferior performance. For years we felt TW was charging us a fortune here in Mason. I was extremely pleased to see CB come in with their FIOPTICS service. The competition has dropped everyone's cost. I have heard horror stories about CB service also, but I don't think they can be any worse than TW. I honestly meant maybe Direct TV or Dish Network might provide the TV service you desire. I would have considered one of them except for the fact high speed Internet has become more important to us. The wife and I are on it quite a few hours a day. Have you contacted CB to see if they have FIOPTICS in your neighborhood? I am not saying it surpasses TW, I am just saying the competition is good for everyone and maybe TW will shape up.
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't think Fioptics was available where I live, but I'd never checked until just now. It is not. These TWC problems are the worst they've ever been. For that reason, maybe at this point Direct TV is becoming a viable option. Dish definitely is not. I hear from too many people who lose reception in every rainstorm. No reason to trade one set of problems for another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2011, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Oxford, Ohio
901 posts, read 1,950,209 times
Reputation: 691
I had satellite about 6 years ago, and I only lost reception once during a storm. There were other storms that came through, and I didn't lose a signal at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top