Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 08:29 PM

405 posts, read 891,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Just curious, is anyone else having a lot of malfuctions of TWC's DVR system ever since they did that software "upgrade" a month or two ago? On top of about half my shows not recording (some error message about something called the set top), we also have frequent pixellation--which they're supposed to be sending someone to fix.
We got rid of cable many years back. Now we just stream shows we want to watch. When we lived in Clifton/Hyde Park, we used TW, it was horrible. You would have to constantly reboot the connection.

Since we moved, we switched to Cincinnati Bell FIOS. All our streaming works well now. The only problem we had, was their router was horrible and broke almost immediately; so did the second one. I swtiched to a standard Linksys router and everything has been fine.

Only very occasionally can we not get a show we want to watch. Cable was a wasteland full of thousands of things we didn't want to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 08:21 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Update: The TWC repair guy was here Sunday. He changed out some switch at the box outside the house, and checked the signal coming into the house, which he said is okay. He discussed some ongoing software problems that they're aware of relating to the programs that are set to record and then do not. Of course, actually doing anything to correct the problems is another topic altogether, but at least somebody acknowledged a problem on their end. TWC probably boosted their weak*ss signals for the Bengal's game on Sunday anyway, but we've had next to no problem with the picture breaking up for the last two days. So as with a critically ill patient, we're now "guardedly optimistic."

Old 11-18-2011, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,657 times
Angry Time Warner DVR - Guide Issues

I switched from Time Warner 2 years ago after having 3 Scientific Atlanta DVR boxes in 4 months. I had DirecTv for 2 years, but switched back to Time Warner to save money...........well, I have a Samsung DVR, but the software is unreliable. I conifirm a show or series is going to record, but it does not record. Some shows start recording late and end early. Some shows I never record, end up recording..... A tech said that the time change may be to blame, but if this is a system-wide problem, I would think 1000s would be complaining. Has anyone else had this problem recently and was it resolved? They have already checked the forward and reverse signal strengths.[url]http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif[/url]

Old 11-18-2011, 02:33 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincymike View Post
I switched from Time Warner 2 years ago after having 3 Scientific Atlanta DVR boxes in 4 months. I had DirecTv for 2 years, but switched back to Time Warner to save money...........well, I have a Samsung DVR, but the software is unreliable. I conifirm a show or series is going to record, but it does not record. Some shows start recording late and end early. Some shows I never record, end up recording..... A tech said that the time change may be to blame, but if this is a system-wide problem, I would think 1000s would be complaining. Has anyone else had this problem recently and was it resolved? They have already checked the forward and reverse signal strengths.http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif
The tech who made the service call on Sunday didn't actually come into our house--in too big a hurry to get back to the shop and watch the game, apparently--but he told my husband that they've had all kinds of problems with the software not recording when it's supposed to. It skipped a bunch of stuff I had scheduled to record last week, but this week's been better.

BTW, picture is starting to break up some again, but nothing like it did before.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:12 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,543,045 times
We've decided that once our latest 2 year deal with TWC is up that we're going to drop TV altogether. We only have the basic 70-channel line-up, although I use that term loosely as TWC keeps cutting the channels (latest casualty, the Travel Channel) and at the same time keeps raising my bill. There are simply too many times we find ourselves flipping through "70 channels" and saying "why are we paying for this???" There's virtually nothing worth watching! I must be an idiot to be paying for a channel lineup where at least 4 or 5 of them are showing Everybody Loves Raymond reruns! These days, the only cable channels we watch regularly are Turner Classic Movies and maybe AMC. The other things we watch, I would characterize as "desperation" viewing...nothing else is on, so I might as well watch this.

The one thing that I will miss is Fox Sports...I love to watch the Reds and that is that one thing that keeps me held hostage by pay TV. There's something wrong with the fact that there is no other outlet than a full subscription to cable or satellite to get Reds home game coverage. If I could get Reds home games through the MLB package on the internet, I would drop TWC without hesitation!!!

Rant over.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:50 PM

73 posts, read 89,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
We've decided that once our latest 2 year deal with TWC is up that we're going to drop TV altogether. We only have the basic 70-channel line-up, although I use that term loosely as TWC keeps cutting the channels (latest casualty, the Travel Channel) and at the same time keeps raising my bill. There are simply too many times we find ourselves flipping through "70 channels" and saying "why are we paying for this???" There's virtually nothing worth watching! I must be an idiot to be paying for a channel lineup where at least 4 or 5 of them are showing Everybody Loves Raymond reruns! These days, the only cable channels we watch regularly are Turner Classic Movies and maybe AMC. The other things we watch, I would characterize as "desperation" viewing...nothing else is on, so I might as well watch this.

The one thing that I will miss is Fox Sports...I love to watch the Reds and that is that one thing that keeps me held hostage by pay TV. There's something wrong with the fact that there is no other outlet than a full subscription to cable or satellite to get Reds home game coverage. If I could get Reds home games through the MLB package on the internet, I would drop TWC without hesitation!!!

Rant over.
Check into MLB.com, not expensive.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:28 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,543,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDXUFan View Post
Check into MLB.com, not expensive.
I did, but it's only out of market games. Doesn't help with the home schedule.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:59 AM

526 posts, read 1,482,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
And they continue to abuse their customers with no consequence to them. Just like the Bengals. Just like the soon to be streetcar.
Don't forget Delta airlines ... slightly different circumstances, same result

Old 11-28-2011, 04:53 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You guys are making me hate Comcast just a little bit less ...

My mom has Time Warner, too, and she has nothing but problems with pixellation, freezing, and slow response. I'll have to tell her she's not the only one ...
We had the same problems...As well as switching stations and just getting a black screen!

Called TW and was told to unplug cable box, wait 30 seconds and plug it in again. The system reboots and problems went away. (Also told to do this every month or so.)

Old 11-28-2011, 09:23 PM

364 posts, read 715,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post

Rant over.
I share this exact same sentiment, especially after receiving my latest bill showing a balance of $102.50. I certainly feel like I'm being raped by paying over 100 dollars a month for basic cable and internet when there are literally only like 4 channels I watch on a regular basis.

I remember vividly when I first moved here about four years ago and got cable, my cell phone and cable bills would usually be within five dollars of eachother. Now my cable bill exceeds my phone by about thrity dollars a month.

I'm seriously thinking once the January arrives, I'm giving up cable "cold-turkey" and just keeping the internet since I need that for school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati