U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 06:49 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times

Advertisements

I have given my latest suggestion on a sticky for newcomers to provide answers to when posting an inquiry on the forum. It is already lengthy enough, and I am concerned about it becoming too unwieldy and therefore ignored.

I understand there is the other camp desiring a sticky I have labeled Cincinnati Newcomers - frequently asked questions (FAQ) and answers. While I can see some merit in this, these are my concerns:
. It may rapidly become very large with a huge diverse set of topics.
. Whoever creates it must be ready for a barrage of criticism as to the answers given - You ignored this, you left out that, you are biased, etc.
. If you include all of the ifs, ands, and buts it will become ginormous and ignored. People relocating want answers to their situation. This is why the CD website TOS is not paid that much attention to. Let's face it, people are impatient. They want answers without providing enough information to determine what the question even is.
If someone is willing to tackle the topic, best of luck.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:53 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,725,886 times
i'm happy with just prodding people to provide some decent info, and that is what this sticky would do. i think a general characterization of neighborhoods and suburbs could be a separate sticky, down the road - but like KJBrill says, it would be problematic. I may characterize East Price Hill as up-and-coming and a diamond in the rough, whereas other people may call it an unsafe, inner-city junk pile.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
i'm happy with just prodding people to provide some decent info, and that is what this sticky would do. i think a general characterization of neighborhoods and suburbs could be a separate sticky, down the road - but like KJBrill says, it would be problematic. I may characterize East Price Hill as up-and-coming and a diamond in the rough, whereas other people may call it an unsafe, inner-city junk pile.
Exactly my concern. When you start giving specific recommendations you will run into a whole diverse set of opinions. This is the problem I see with the FAQ format. I do believe it is valid to ask whether the OP has searched the forum and what specifically they have not found a response to. The forum has so much content there is little left untouched. But as I stated, people are impatient, they want answers to their question. If we can prod them into providing enough background for a decent response it will be worthwhile.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:37 PM

901 posts, read 1,950,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Frankly, I think there is room for two stickys. The one I have created could be titled Cincinnati Newcomers - before posting an inquiry answer the questions herein. The second one could be titled Cincinnati Newcomers - frequently asked questions (FAQ) and answers.

Both could start off with Have you searched the forum to see if your question has already been answered?

Yes, the typically posted questions are all too repetitive and too vague. I have attempted to create the one format before posting an inquiry answer the questions herein. Do you volunteer to create the second? My concern was the FAQ and answer format would rapidly grow too large and always have too many kibitzers complaining about the specifics.

I understand what you are saying, but how many people actually read or pay attention to the CD website TOS?

On the other hand, should we just be rude and respond this question has already been answered several times - get off your lazy *ss and search for the answer(s). Not necessarily the way we want to greet newcomers to our fair city.
No, of course we shouldn't say that. (Sadly enough, though, I have seen that in some message boards. ) I prefer your idea of prefacing the sticky with "Have you searched the forum to see if your question has already been answered?" I think that's a wonderful idea.

As for me volunteering to create the other sticky...unfortunately, no. I don't think I'm qualified since I live in Oxford and I'm not entirely familiar with all the neighborhoods in Cincinnati or what they offer. That's why I indicated it would be good to find someone who was unbiased and well-informed.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
As for me volunteering to create the other sticky...unfortunately, no. I don't think I'm qualified since I live in Oxford and I'm not entirely familiar with all the neighborhoods in Cincinnati or what they offer. That's why I indicated it would be good to find someone who was unbiased and well-informed.
Actually I have found out there is a 2 sticky limit per forum of which I was not aware. So for even the one I proposed, something has to go. I view the pictures sticky as being very informative and unique to the Cincinnati area. Its content is hard to recreate. Somehow, the sports sticky somehow became unstuck, I don't know why. But I would say it rapidly can become clogged with out of date information, and a new thread can be posted at any time on a sports subject which is hot.

I offered my latest and greatest as post #10 in this thread. I certainly have no axe to grind here. Will the regulars please respond and indicate what type of sticky they consider most valuable to the forum. Please feel free to criticize the wording, connotation, etc. of what I proposed. I certainly am not a professional copy writer. Just trying to provide what several have indicated lacking, new threads posted with way too little background information and reasons.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:44 PM

Everytime I try to edit a response on this forum and give it some bullet items, indent, a little class, after I post it comes back looking like some rank amateur did it. What am I doing wrong?

Old 11-19-2011, 10:06 AM

901 posts, read 1,950,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Everytime I try to edit a response on this forum and give it some bullet items, indent, a little class, after I post it comes back looking like some rank amateur did it. What am I doing wrong?
You'd probably have to post a screenshot of what you're talking about. I know there have been times when I've typed something in WordPad, then copied and pasted it as a post...only to see a bunch of HTML formatting. When you edit your post, are you clicking on the button that says "Go Advanced"?

Old 11-21-2011, 04:52 PM

6 posts, read 5,552 times
Default Potential Newcomer ...and first time sticky user

OK... here it goes. We are potential relocators...raised in midwest and have been here in NC for almost two years. Have been to Cinci area once and looked around but it's alot to take in. I HAVE taken the time to read posts about areas that look like it might be a good fit for a family of two adults with four kids ranging from 10-3 yrs of age. I confess..I am not tech-savvy... so I did the copy/paste thing. I am aware it is probably not how to correctly use the "sticky"... but my entire family is errand running and I have to use the time I have. I truly appreciate any and all feedback. We hope to make this area our long-term home.

Where is you current location and environment? Research Triangle Park area, North Carolina - neighborhood with small lots but many children
. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change?
We like the number of families.. but wouldn't object to a bigger yard
. Where will your work location be? Evendale to Dayton area
. Maximum commute time desired? 30 minutes

. What is you budget for housing? Would love to stay at/ below 375,000
. Rent or buy? Buy
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family) Single family
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths) Could do 3 bedroooms but 4 would be better
. Other specifics? Would really like to have some walkability

. Neighborhood environment? friendly is a must for us...I like a mix but other kids around are important
. Urban, young professional, nightlife Not a big for us anymore
. Suburban, family friendly, lots of activities for kids Bingo!!!
. Older, distinctive architecture, individual character That's what I prefer but we are open minded
. Modern, 15 yrs old or less, move-in ready, low maintenance Not my first choice, but if all other criteria were met...keep the mind open!
. Yard - none, small, large (1/2 acre or more) At least small...maybe bigger
. Very safe, low crime area? Yes please
. Can tolerate some degree of crime potential? How Much? Hard to answer that one... crime potential everywhere right?

. Schools? Very important with four kids in elementary/middle
. Not applicable
. High Ranked Public schools yes... but overall feel and ability to get to know people is important too
. Small or large district? definitely not so big that we would feel like just a number... open to consideration
. Consider Private schools? Probably not in the budget
. Special considerations? Our oldest daughter takes gifted classes... but my others don't...I would like her to be challenged but it is not the only factor and we are NOT hung up on that

. Community amenities? The kids are used to local swim teams... that would be fun...
. Walk to shopping, restaurants, entertainment? I would love to use the minivan less...
. Town/city community center for adults & kids would be great but not necessary
. Swimming, fitness center, running track, adult activities If they have child care... yes
. Private neighborhood association, swimming & fitness Well, we have one now... an HOA ... and it's a bit of a snob fest. But I don't think I will rule it out entirely and it does serve a purpose.
. Nearby fitness centers & clubs
. Lots of parks & youth athletic leagues Volleyball, soccer, at the rec level
. Jogging & biking trails Love that idea
. Other?

. Specific wants/desires? My older three swim year round and I would love to find some additional information on middle school teams (if they exist) or year round clubs. I don't know if they will continue it or not but it is a great way to meet people
. Please identify any specific wants/desires not mentioned above. So... I have to mention that the taxes seem higher than what I am used to. I am OK with paying more for more services... I just have to consider it in the budget. Which areas would you say are "worth it?"

Old 11-21-2011, 06:35 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,725,886 times
okay -- procedural question. i had envisioned potential newcomers copying/pasting the questions into a new thread of their own. or will we just create one large sticky with EVERYTHING?

i'll provide a more thorough answer tomorrow. immediately blue ash comes to mind - although walkability will be a bit of an issue. if creative and open to figuring out CPS (there are many great magnet schools, including the new one exclusively for gifted children), Hyde Park could work - many points for walkability / neighborhood but not suburban in feel.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:54 AM

progmac... That was my intent. The main conveyance is the information requested. Posting in the sticky itself will rapidly become clumsy, unwieldy, and difficult to distinquish between inquiries and responses. If copy/paste is the most expeditious method that is fine and maybe desirable, at least we get the idea the poster has read and is trying to provide the information requested. But I agree, make it a separate thead inquiry. I have requested cleaning up the sticky, making the title more reflective of the intent, and locking it to prevent actual posting within it. I am waiting a response to this.

Last edited by kjbrill; 11-22-2011 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: grammer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or