U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 03:52 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,363,536 times

Advertisements

Below is my candidate for a potential sticky telling people relocating to the area what information they should provide so we can best assist them in their search. I purposely attempted to draw more information out than they typically provide first off. I intentionally did not make it a specific topic and recommendation format as I feel (1) That will become far too lengthy, and (2) It is too presumptuous, and (3) We will constantly have disagreements over the specifics involved. Please offer comments and suggestions on the format and content. We are in no rush to accomplish this.

Please read and answer these questions so we can assist you on your move to the Cincinnati Area.

. Where is you current location and environment?
. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change?

. Where will your work location be?
. Maximum commute time desired?

. What is you budget for housing?

. Rent or buy?
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family)
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths)
. Other specifics?

. Neighborhood environment?
. Urban, young professional, nightlife
. Suburban, family friendly, lots of activities for kids
. Older, distinctive architecture, individual character
. Modern, 15 yrs old or less, move-in ready, low maintenance
. Yard - none, small, large (1/2 acre or more)
. Very safe, low crime area?
. Can tolerate some degree of crime potential? How Much?

. Schools?
. Not applicable
. High Ranked Public schools
. Small or large district?
. Consider Private schools?
. Special considerations?

. Community amenities?
. Walk to shopping, restaurants, entertainment?
. Town/city community center for adults & kids
. Swimming, fitness center, running track, adult activities
. Private neighborhood association, swimming & fitness
. Nearby fitness centers & clubs
. Lots of parks & youth athletic leagues
. Jogging & biking trails
. Other?

. Specific wants/desires?
. Please identify any specific wants/desires not mentioned above.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:20 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,951,520 times
I vote for going with this. Thanks, kjbrill. Over time some things might surface to add, but I think it's overall an excellent list.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:03 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,727,944 times
thanks so much for putting this together kjbrill. it has been a long time coming.

i wouldn't mind seeing something like, "diversity of income, race, housing types" in the neighborhood environment section. that was an important criterion when we chose our place. also, i would move "family friendly, lots of activities for kids" to its own bullet point because more city / streetcar type neighborhoods or even some more urban areas can be family friendly. along with this, the suburban bullet point should be expanded perhaps like "suburban, lower-maintenance homes, quiet streets"

also, perhaps "private neighborhood association" could be moved to neighborhood amenities if it is referring to having an HOA

with schools, that is hard, but perhaps "diverse student body" would be a good one.

finally, for community amenities, i suggest adding "proximity to public transportation" as well as including something like "daily needs within walking distance" in place of the first category, as to include things like convenience stores, parks, libraries, etc.

just my two cents. even if we change nothing it will be a HUGE help to avoid these one-liner posts like, "hey guys, moving to town, where should i go?"

Old 11-15-2011, 07:54 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,883,763 times
Thanks, Kjbrill, Sarah Perry, & Progmac! Call it "Sticky-ed"!

Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 AM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
^^Now that's an fast-acting moderator!

Old 11-15-2011, 10:46 AM

I have attempted to incorporate some of the good suggestions by progmac. What do you think?

Please read and answer these questions so we can assist you on your move to the Cincinnati Area.

. Rent or buy?
. Other specifics?

. Mid-urban, close in neighborhood or suburb, stable investment
. Suburban, low maintenance, quiet streets, soccer mom atmosphere
. Family oriented
. Lots of same age kids, activities
. Great schools
. Modern, 15 yrs old or less, move-in ready
. Diversity of income, race, housing?
. Private neighborhood association, swimming & fitness facilities

. Schools?
. Not applicable
. Diverse student body?

. Community amenities?
. Daily needs within walking distance, shopping, restaurants, parks, etc.
. Close promity to public transportation?
. Other?

Old 11-15-2011, 12:07 PM

901 posts, read 1,951,040 times
kjbrill, I applaud you for starting this thread, and I understand (and likewise agree) that a newcomer should ideally provide all the information you indicated in the OP, IF they are indeed going to start a new thread seeking answers to their own questions. But I think when I put forth the idea for a sticky, it was to avoid that particular situation in which we would constantly get new threads from people asking the same questions that have already been asked countless times in this forum.

In the CD website TOS, it specifically states: "Please use the Search this Forum tool to find info you need, as much has already been written about schools, jobs, weather, crime, prices, rentals, walkability and other aspects of a location. If you don't find it, please sign in and ask your questions. New users should use the Search this Forum tool before posting a question that may have already been answered. Let us know that you have searched the forums, so we don't assume otherwise." [blue emphasis mine]

So that's why I suggested a sticky which would give general answers to the most-asked questions in this forum. That way it would preclude having multiple threads started in which the same questions are always being asked, and would also cut down on the contentious words that sometimes arise from having multiple members giving diverging opinions, which basically only confuses people. And thus, my concern with your idea is that it's really not going to change anything. Your suggestion, while being a really good idea, is pretty much summed up in the TOS anyway, which state "When asking questions about a location, give as much detail as you can, so we can zero in on the info you need."

Hopefully I'm not misunderstanding what this sticky is for...?

Old 11-15-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
kjbrill, I applaud you for starting this thread, and I understand (and likewise agree) that a newcomer should ideally provide all the information you indicated in the OP, IF they are indeed going to start a new thread seeking answers to their own questions. But I think when I put forth the idea for a sticky, it was to avoid that particular situation in which we would constantly get new threads from people asking the same questions that have already been asked countless times in this forum.

In the CD website TOS, it specifically states: "Please use the Search this Forum tool to find info you need, as much has already been written about schools, jobs, weather, crime, prices, rentals, walkability and other aspects of a location. If you don't find it, please sign in and ask your questions. New users should use the Search this Forum tool before posting a question that may have already been answered. Let us know that you have searched the forums, so we don't assume otherwise." [blue emphasis mine]

So that's why I suggested a sticky which would give general answers to the most-asked questions in this forum. That way it would preclude having multiple threads started in which the same questions are always being asked, and would also cut down on the contentious words that sometimes arise from having multiple members giving diverging opinions, which basically only confuses people. And thus, my concern with your idea is that it's really not going to change anything. Your suggestion, while being a really good idea, is pretty much summed up in the TOS anyway, which state "When asking questions about a location, give as much detail as you can, so we can zero in on the info you need."

Hopefully I'm not misunderstanding what this sticky is for...?
Frankly, I think there is room for two stickys. The one I have created could be titled Cincinnati Newcomers - before posting an inquiry answer the questions herein. The second one could be titled Cincinnati Newcomers - frequently asked questions (FAQ) and answers.

Both could start off with Have you searched the forum to see if your question has already been answered?

Yes, the typically posted questions are all too repetitive and too vague. I have attempted to create the one format before posting an inquiry answer the questions herein. Do you volunteer to create the second? My concern was the FAQ and answer format would rapidly grow too large and always have too many kibitzers complaining about the specifics.

I understand what you are saying, but how many people actually read or pay attention to the CD website TOS?

On the other hand, should we just be rude and respond this question has already been answered several times - get off your lazy *ss and search for the answer(s). Not necessarily the way we want to greet newcomers to our fair city.

Last edited by kjbrill; 11-15-2011 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 11-15-2011, 03:50 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,727,944 times
I'm really happy with the list we've got going now. Is there a way, after a couple more days for the regulars to review what we've got, to make KJBrill's list the first post in its own, locked sticky?

Old 11-16-2011, 06:35 AM

I have added a lead-in comment as to whether they have searched the forum before posting a new inquiry. Again, my suggested title for the sticky is Cincinnati Newcomers - before posting an inquiry answer the questions herein

Please read and answer these questions in your inquiry so we can assist you on your move to the Cincinnati Area.

. Have you searched this forum for answers to your questions before posting a new inquiry?
. What specific topic have you not found answers to?

. Rent or buy?
. Other specifics?

. Mid-urban, close in neighborhood or suburb, stable investment
. Suburban, low maintenance, quiet streets, soccer mom atmosphere
. Family oriented
. Lots of same age kids, activities
. Great schools
. Modern, 15 yrs old or less, move-in ready
. Diversity of income, race, housing?
. Private neighborhood association, swimming & fitness facilities

. Schools?
. Not applicable
. Diverse student body?
. Strong athletics?

. Community amenities?
. Daily needs within walking distance, shopping, restaurants, parks, etc.
. Close promity to public transportation?
. Other?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or