U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 12:47 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,006,733 times

Advertisements

No worse than any other city from my experience (and probably better than most places). So long as you're not looking for trouble, you won't encounter any.

I've wandered around Downtown, the Gateway Corridor of OTR and parts of Mt. Auburn late at night and never once felt unsafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 06:09 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,962,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDave14 View Post
I keep reading on the city to compare and contrast the pros and cons. I've been using crimereports.com and neighborhood scout to gather information. Neighborhood scout rated Cincinnati a 4 out of 100 for safeness. The site also said the city has one of the highest murder rates in the country. I was just wondering how most of these murders occur? Is it being in the wrong place at the wrong time? Gang related? I even went to the city website to see which areas the most crime happens in. Like I said in a previous post, I visited here and didn't feel as if I was going to be murdered or mugged. I was only there for 3 days, though. I just wouldn't want to move somewhere where you would be at risk for no reason. Not putting the city down at all, I'm just not very familiar with it.
I don't have hard statistics, but the vast majority of murders involve people known to each other. Mostly related to the drug trade, to a lesser extent gang-related and family/domestic violence situations. It's extremely easy to live safely in the Cincinnati area.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:21 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,398,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I don't have hard statistics, but the vast majority of murders involve people known to each other. Mostly related to the drug trade, to a lesser extent gang-related and family/domestic violence situations. It's extremely easy to live safely in the Cincinnati area.
I second Sarah's statement. You learn where the drug dealing areas are and avoid them. Many of the murders are related to drug deals gone sour or arguments over turf. There are some gang-related murders, but Cincinnati is not a big gang problem city. Some people will state differently, as if they wish it to be.

I commend your continuing research on statistics concerning safety, etc. But also consider the advice of responders such as Sarah and myself. You can live very safely in Cincinnati with minimal effort.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:35 AM

8 posts, read 13,300 times
I would take personal experience over stats any day. The statistics don't take into account why the crimes are occurring, they just report occurrence. Any other useful information about living here would be great. I'm going to be enrolling into a program for dental hygiene. Are there many community colleges in the Cincinnati area? What do people generally do for fun? We are looking to move into an apartment at first. Does anyone have any suggestions on reputable apartments/complexes to live in?

Old 11-17-2011, 06:51 AM

I believe the Raymond Walters Extension College of UC in Blue Ash has an established dental hygenist program. At least I know they have in the past, as I was the patient for my current dentist's wife when she studied and took her state boards there. Besides being located in a very nice suburban industrial park environment, there are a variety of apartment complexes closeby in Sharonville, Blue Ash, Deer Park, Symmes Township and other suburbs. It is not a downtown urban environment, but if you want safe this is it.

Last edited by kjbrill; 11-17-2011 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: clarify

Old 11-17-2011, 07:18 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,741,678 times
Cincinnati State is the more urban community college. Not sure if they have a dental hygeniest program. I would stick to a state or non-profit community college and stay away from the "for profit" schools that are found everywhere today.

I can't think of any murders or serious assaults in the past few years that have been directed towards random people minding their own business. Also, homicides are dramatically concentrated in a few pockets around town. Not even neighborhoods, but pockets within those neighborhoods.

Most people I know have had their car broken into, and in each case something of value was left in plain view. This usually happens when people first move to the area.

There is a saying, that for evil to prevail, all good people have to do is sit back and do nothing. Something I like about Cincinnati is that people are pretty proactive. There are a lot of community groups, community policing programs, and so forth that have really helped certain problem area.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:19 AM

These areas probably sound like the way to go for us. I'm on apartmentguide.com checking out the different complexes. I also like how Cincinnati is close to many other giant mid western cities. We're going to take a trip down there around Christmas time. Any specifics I should check out while visiting?

Old 11-17-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Cincinnati State is the more urban community college. Not sure if they have a dental hygeniest program. I would stick to a state or non-profit community college and stay away from the "for profit" schools that are found everywhere today.

I can't think of any murders or serious assaults in the past few years that have been directed towards random people minding their own business. Also, homicides are dramatically concentrated in a few pockets around town. Not even neighborhoods, but pockets within those neighborhoods.

Most people I know have had their car broken into, and in each case something of value was left in plain view. This usually happens when people first move to the area.

There is a saying, that for evil to prevail, all good people have to do is sit back and do nothing. Something I like about Cincinnati is that people are pretty proactive. There are a lot of community groups, community policing programs, and so forth that have really helped certain problem area.

It sounds good to be a part of a community where people care about each other. It would also be cool to get Bengals season tickets. I live close to Providence and Boston. In Providence someone threw a cinder block through my windshield for an auxiliary wire with no ipod even connected. I'm used to that behavior by now.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:36 AM

I checked and Raymond Walters does have the dental hygenist major. I keep mentioning it due primarily to the environment. It has a nice campus located in a large industrial/office park on the north side of Cincinnati. The surrounding areas are very safe and there are a variety of apartment complexes geared to various cost levels. The school is named after Raymond Walters who was a past president of UC.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:29 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,661,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDave14 View Post
These areas probably sound like the way to go for us. I'm on apartmentguide.com checking out the different complexes. I also like how Cincinnati is close to many other giant mid western cities. We're going to take a trip down there around Christmas time. Any specifics I should check out while visiting?
It's not limited in the proximity department to just Midwestern cities either. Pittsburgh is four hours, Atlanta is six and Washington D.C./Baltimore is seven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati