U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:28 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,952,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
...The United Methodist is setting up a live Christmas tree sale to benefit their Boy Scout Troop. The Presbyterian recently erected very attractive masonary signs on two sides of their property to proclaim who they are. They also have several soccer fields they permit the local youth leagues to utilize. Same with Christ's Church of Mason. The Hope Evangelical is large, and from the number of buildings in addition to the main church, must have a lot of church sponsored activities. The Catholic is the largest, mainly due to the adjacent elementary school and their athletic facilities.
I mention all of this just to point out many different religious affiliations coexist in close proximity, and appear to be thriving. If the people were not reasonably religious they would not be contributing to the upkeep and expansion of these facilities.
The kind of work I do makes me somewhat familiar with this topic.

Beware of extrapolating general trends based on your specific neighborhood. All that expansion where you live is coming at least partly at the expense of mainline Protestant (and to some degree also Roman Catholic) congregations in older parts of the Cincinnati area. When I say older, I mean older in terms of residential development AND older in terms of age of congregants.

Yes, it's good times all around for churches in areas where there's lots of recent development (and accompanying population growth) of large, upscale neighborhoods that attract reasonably affluent young families and even affluent retirees such as yourself. Churches in places like Wyoming, Glendale and Hyde Park are not really growing, unless they have something exceptional to offer. Trade on down to less affluent communities like College Hill, Westwood, Delhi, Anderson, etc. and you'll find plenty of churches on life support.

This board isn't the place to attempt a comprehensive summary of church attendance trends, and the mainline churches are also affected by the growth of megachurches like Crossroads, which obviously is located in an older neighborhood but which also draws attendees from all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 08:38 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Wowza. I don't know what the raw data is for this information, but there's something right here on city-data

http://www.city-data.com/county/reli...County-OH.html

Also, The Association of Religion Data Archives | Maps & Reports
Sarah... I see a whole lot of statistics quoted, but I see virtually nothing as to origin or validation of data. Like you I am impressed, but I would like to see some accreditation as to the sources. The Internet just has too many uncredited sources expousing their own philosophies. If City-Data cannot require or provide verification of data in what they project as regional statistics they belong in the doubtful range.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:01 AM

13 posts, read 19,346 times
It's the home of Touchdown Jesus and the Creation Museum. Nuff said.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:22 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,729,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getmeoutofhereplease View Post
the creation museum is in Petersburg, KY and touchdown Jesus is in Monroe, OH. Either is about 40 minutes from Cincinnati. As with anywhere in the United States, the rural hinterlands have higher rates of religion.

The fact, based on stats, is that Cincinnati is very "middle of the pack" regarding church attendance. Taking the whole metro, about half (51%) of people do not attend any church. About one out of four people you meet attends catholic church, and fewer than one out of four people you meet is protestant.

I think if you are seeking a place with religious community, you can find that in Cincinnati. Conversely, if you are seeking a place where you can be an unpressured atheist/agnostic, you can also easily find that in Cincinnati. Not a bad deal, really.

Of course, if you come from a family that applies a lot of "religious pressure," you can feel suffocated, whether you live in Cincinnati or San Francisco.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:48 AM

1,879 posts, read 2,123,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getmeoutofhereplease View Post
Each have their value, if nothing else, as a balance to the sex, drugs, etc., cultural notions. Now I must get back to my latest facebook game of interest, Journey of Moses. (Hey, it's cute. Bonuses include figs, water and balls of yarn.)

Old 11-22-2011, 10:14 AM

3,383 posts, read 3,698,198 times
Quote:

This board isn't the place to attempt a comprehensive summary of church attendance trends, and the mainline churches are also affected by the growth of megachurches like Crossroads, which obviously is located in an older neighborhood but which also draws attendees from all over.
Although this forum may not be the place to attempt a comprehensive summary of church attendance trends in the Cincinnati metro-area, aren't our combined comments nevertheless helpful to the Texas OP in response to that family's original question? (especially your own provocative last post?)

Without treading on our own tender toes (at least where religion is being discussed) and ending up in our usual uproar, I think we've all added something valuable for the OP to take away about Cincinnati--and that is that the city is open to what they wish to make of it, spiritually. I think it delightfully ironic that Crossroads (absolutely the largest single congregation in Cincinnati and one of the biggest megachurches in the nation) sits virtually in the center of the city proper--and not out on the periphery of one of the northern suburbs. The irony here is that Crossroads is broadly considered "a seeker-friendly church that strives to meet the needs of the unchurched..." That is, it can be whatever you want it to be! Such a place it is, folks, and such a place is Cincinnati...

Old 11-22-2011, 10:27 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Although this forum may not be the place to attempt a comprehensive summary of church attendance trends in the Cincinnati metro-area, aren't our combined comments nevertheless helpful to the Texas OP in response to that family's original question? (especially your own provocative last post?)

Without treading on our own tender toes (at least where religion is being discussed) and ending up in our usual uproar, I think we've all added something valuable for the OP to take away about Cincinnati--and that is that the city is open to what they wish to make of it, spiritually. I think it delightfully ironic that Crossroads (absolutely the largest single congregation in Cincinnati and one of the biggest megachurches in the nation) sits virtually in the center of the city proper--and not out on the periphery of one of the northern suburbs. The irony here is that Crossroads is broadly considered "a seeker-friendly church that strives to meet the needs of the unchurched..." That is, it can be whatever you want it to be! Such a place it is, folks, and such a place is Cincinnati...
Much of what I said about Cincinnati. It will be whatever you want it to be.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:32 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,952,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post

At the risk of veering off topic, where do you get the statistics about megachurch size in general and Crossroads in particular?

Old 11-22-2011, 03:56 PM

3,383 posts, read 3,698,198 times
Quote:
At the risk of veering off topic, where do you get the statistics about megachurch size in general and Crossroads in particular?
Quite honestly, Sarah, I remember seeing these stats a few years ago, but at this moment I can't remember where...

Old 11-22-2011, 11:03 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,938,347 times
Down South, especially in smaller towns and rural areas, to this day a newly met person is often asked what church they go to right after introductions are made. (If the person's family name is recognized, the answer to that question is already known.) 'tain't so in Cincinnati. For one thing, it's not assumed that you are part of a "faith community," let alone that you attend a church. So on that basis I wouldn't term the Cincy area as being all that "religious" by way of comparison with much of Texas.

During the years of my youth there were large parts of the city which had sectarian associations made with them. The string of neighborhoods that have Reading Rd cutting through them were the Jewish strongholds. The entire west side of town was painted with a broad brush as being the "Catholic area," heavily German in origin but also Irish and Italian. On the east side it was a "WASP nest," up through the middle it was more of a mixed bag. It amuses me today to be Web surfing real-estate listings and getting house lust for a listed property within a community where my Presbyterian-raised agnostic self would no longer feel out of place.

I've found it to be true in the Boston area (where I live now), as well as in Greater Cincinnati, that people who go to aerobics classes and Christian Right rallies in the guise of religious services let you know in a sly subtle way. Early on in an initial conversation with them they'll deliberately let it slip: "I had to Tivo 'Dancing With the Stars' last night because I was at services," "We'll have to get together later on Sunday because of church." Only if you take the bait will they try to proselytize. Persons in Catholic and mainline Protestant congregations make you aware of that in a more up-front way, but not judgmentally if you aren't in their flock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati