U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2011, 09:59 AM
 
5,807 posts, read 10,352,728 times
Reputation: 4311

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getmeoutofhereplease View Post
It's the home of Touchdown Jesus and the Creation Museum. Nuff said.
Those are not even close to the city of Cincinnait.

The creation museum is in NKY more or less beyond the suburbs and out in the country. Same with the touchdown Jesus - out in Monroe or somewhere like that.

Sure the general region that Cincinnati is in (SW Ohio, N, Kentucky, SE Indiana) yes is a conservative region no doubt, but thats more of the rural, small town and outlying suburban areas.

Those places and those areas have little to do with Cincinnati proper.

Remember that Jerry Springer was elected major of the city in the 1970s (and was the home of many of other famous Jewish people (Steven Spieldberg, Sarah Jessica Parker, Vidal Sassoon), is home to some of the finest magnet schools (schools of creative and performing arts) that was a model for racial integration for schools in cities across the country, etc.

Cincinnati is not some right wing Republican city. Some of the outskirts and outlying areas. Yes. But the city - no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2011, 10:25 AM
 
465 posts, read 356,516 times
Reputation: 129
touchdown jesus is gone and the creation museum isn't in the cincinnati metro statistical area as defined by the census bureau.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Oxford, Ohio
901 posts, read 1,952,749 times
Reputation: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hall View Post
...and the creation museum isn't in the cincinnati metro statistical area as defined by the census bureau.
Yes it is. It's in Boone County, which is part of the Cincinnati MSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Oxford, Ohio
901 posts, read 1,952,749 times
Reputation: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Those are not even close to the city of Cincinnait.

The creation museum is in NKY more or less beyond the suburbs and out in the country. Same with the touchdown Jesus - out in Monroe or somewhere like that.

Sure the general region that Cincinnati is in (SW Ohio, N, Kentucky, SE Indiana) yes is a conservative region no doubt, but thats more of the rural, small town and outlying suburban areas.

Those places and those areas have little to do with Cincinnati proper.

Would you say Kings Island has anything to do with Cincinnati proper? It's farther away from the heart of town than the Creation Museum is, yet it's thought of as being part of the Cincinnati area.

I really have to take exception to all this thinking that the Creation Museum is somehow not part of the Cincinnati area. It's every bit as close to the heart of the city as West Chester and Mason...actually a bit closer. Granted, it's not surrounded by subdivisions, because that part of Boone County still isn't fully developed. But it will get there, and when it does, are you guys still going to say it's not part of the area? I think a lot of people simply want to distance themselves from the CM because they don't agree with what it stands for. It's somehow an embarrassment to them, and they don't want the Cincinnati area to be associated with something that embarrassing. But guess what? It IS...so you're going to have to deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 11:09 AM
 
5,807 posts, read 10,352,728 times
Reputation: 4311
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
Would you say Kings Island has anything to do with Cincinnati proper? It's farther away from the heart of town than the Creation Museum is, yet it's thought of as being part of the Cincinnati area.

I really have to take exception to all this thinking that the Creation Museum is somehow not part of the Cincinnati area. It's every bit as close to the heart of the city as West Chester and Mason...actually a bit closer. Granted, it's not surrounded by subdivisions, because that part of Boone County still isn't fully developed. But it will get there, and when it does, are you guys still going to say it's not part of the area? I think a lot of people simply want to distance themselves from the CM because they don't agree with what it stands for. It's somehow an embarrassment to them, and they don't want the Cincinnati area to be associated with something that embarrassing. But guess what? It IS...so you're going to have to deal with it.
Its also in Kentucky however.

Its like saying that people in metro Detroit are more or less Canadians because Canada is on the other side of the river

Are people from San Diego Mexicans? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 11:11 AM
 
2,886 posts, read 3,955,279 times
Reputation: 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
...I think a lot of people simply want to distance themselves from the CM because they don't agree with what it stands for. It's somehow an embarrassment to them, and they don't want the Cincinnati area to be associated with something that embarrassing. But guess what? It IS...so you're going to have to deal with it...
I think you'd be surprised how few people in the greater Cincinnati area have any interest in the Creation Museum one way or the other. Certainly, there are people who're proud that it's near Cincinnati, and people who're equally embarrassed. But "going to have to deal with it?" Really, I think not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati (Norwood)
3,383 posts, read 3,702,275 times
Reputation: 1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
It's somehow an embarrassment to them, and they don't want the Cincinnati area to be associated with something that embarrassing. But guess what? It IS...so you're going to have to deal with it.
It sure sounds like you're one of the only ones still struggling to deal with it! If you want to spend your money to witness how men and dinosaurs once cavorted together, go ahead--make the CM even richer while bringing ridicule upon yourself. Most of us in the Cincinnati metro-area have long ago dismissed this abominable sideshow to the dustbin of history--mainly because we were instilled with a 20th/21st century education. Its geographical location has absolutely no importance either to Cincinnati or to anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 11:55 AM
 
10,139 posts, read 22,435,726 times
Reputation: 8244
I'm probably the only person here who has actually been to the Creation Museum, and I liked it. It was interesting, non threatening, informative and thought provoking. There wer a lot of people there when we went and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. A lot more entertainment than the Nutcracker. I am not a religious person but I do think that ridiculing a group because of their religious beliefs is a pretty scummy thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Mason, OH
9,259 posts, read 13,374,610 times
Reputation: 1920
I agree the Creation Museum is what it is. People can either agree with the message it conveys or chose to ignore it, which is what I have done. But there is no reason to ridicule those who support it, nor is there any reason to feel embarrassed about its location.

I approach the CM about the same way as the Underground Railroad Freedom Center. I object to school kids being bused there in groups as an attempt to bolster its attendance. But apparently not enough people have objected to get the practice stopped. But public money should not be used to keep it operating. If it cannot succeed on private donations and/or admission fees, so be it.

Last edited by kjbrill; 11-23-2011 at 01:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati (Norwood)
3,383 posts, read 3,702,275 times
Reputation: 1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I'm probably the only person here who has actually been to the Creation Museum, and I liked it. It was interesting, non threatening, informative and thought provoking. There wer a lot of people there when we went and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. A lot more entertainment than the Nutcracker. I am not a religious person but I do think that ridiculing a group because of their religious beliefs is a pretty scummy thing to do.
So you found the CM to be "informative and thought-provoking," eh? And you live in Hyde Park and profess to have an education? Something's not right about this picture, my friend, and only you know why...

P.S. Ridiculing ignorance (in any form) is never, never "a scummy thing to do," and tolerating it anywhere is never, never "PC."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top