U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,658 times

Advertisements

Are Cincinnati and areas north of the city (where we would probably live) more southern or midwestern culturally? I have an option to move to Cincinnati from central Texas. Most people's social activity here revolves around church functions (and football of course) and people are very openly religious. Is it like that in Cincinnati?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 04:15 AM

3,377 posts, read 3,693,454 times
Happily to say, no particular religious denomination dominates metropolitan Cincinnati--it's simply too big and diverse a region for that. Obviously, Christianity can claim the most congregations, but what "Christianity" one chooses will be entirely up to the participant; virtually every major branch of this faith is found here, within both the city itself and its many suburbs.

Throughout the city's history, other religions have become a part of the urban culture, but none like Judaism. The growth of of this venerable faith spans several centuries in Cincinnati, and its powerful influence has enriched the city immensely. Most recently, though, other faiths (including Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism) are establishing themselves here. And while no one will claim Cincinnati to be a cosmopolitan city in the way the large coastal cities are, it's much more than some provincial backwater town in its acceptance of religious diversity. No matter what you may believe (and that includes atheism, agnosticism, or Wiccan, etc.), metropolitan Cincinnati will accommodate you.

Last edited by motorman; 11-21-2011 at 04:23 AM..

Old 11-21-2011, 05:06 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,949,834 times
The Cincinnati area is midwestern with a touch of southern flavor. It's probably not as heavily Roman Catholic as it once was. But you may wish to think of it this way: where you live now, if you meet a practicing Christian, they're probably likely to be some flavor of Baptist or Evangelical. In Cincinnati, you're more likely to find they're RC. This is, of course, a generalization. It's intended that way, it's my perception after living here a long time, and I don't plan to respond to postings arguing with me about it.

As Motorman says, the area is large enough to offer a religious community of just about any type you can think of, although you might have a bit of a drive from your home to, say, a Quaker meeting house. Certainly if you wish to establish a life that centers around church activities, it's possible to do that. But I don't think that's something that really defines this area.

Plenty of football here, too :=)

Old 11-21-2011, 06:04 AM

31,164 posts, read 57,288,199 times
I'd say Cincinnati is as religious as each individual resident wants it to be.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:16 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,021 times
Generally speaking, I wouldn't say that Cincinnati is openly religious, in the way southerners tend to be. That's not say there aren't religious people here, but most people don't wear their religion on their sleeve. While the Catholic character of Cincinnati has faded since the 1960s, there is a large element of Cincinnatians who have had a Catholic upbringing, and while they may be "fallen away", culturally still relate to that religion. I have southern relatives, former Baptists now Presbyterians, who upon their first visit to Cincinnati were utterly shocked at the Catholic culture here. Never in their lives had they seen so much drinking and gambling associated with a church, but they were here during the festival season, after all.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:35 AM

13 posts, read 19,332 times
Super religious.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:01 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,725,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getmeoutofhereplease View Post
Super religious.
Which part of the metro are you in?

Old 11-21-2011, 09:37 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,880,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
The Cincinnati area is midwestern with a touch of southern flavor. It's probably not as heavily Roman Catholic as it once was. But you may wish to think of it this way: where you live now, if you meet a practicing Christian, they're probably likely to be some flavor of Baptist or Evangelical. In Cincinnati, you're more likely to find they're RC. This is, of course, a generalization. It's intended that way, it's my perception after living here a long time, and I don't plan to respond to postings arguing with me about it.

As Motorman says, the area is large enough to offer a religious community of just about any type you can think of, although you might have a bit of a drive from your home to, say, a Quaker meeting house. Certainly if you wish to establish a life that centers around church activities, it's possible to do that. But I don't think that's something that really defines this area.

Plenty of football here, too :=)
Yes, football is indeed a religion around here; you'll find services held frequently in Paul Brown Stadium. Especially in the Fall.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:39 AM

901 posts, read 1,950,209 times
Culturally speaking, the northern part of the Cincinnati region is, for the most part, much more heavily midwestern than southern. But at the same time, if you're coming from central Texas, and you're wanting to find as similar a Christian area as possible in the Cincinnati region, then you'll likewise find that more in the northern suburbs, especially (but not necessarily exclusively) within West Chester or Liberty Township in Butler County, or Mason within Warren County...because that's where you'll find the heaviest concentration of conservative evangelicals. (John Boehner lives in Wetherington, which is in West Chester...Butler county, east of SR 747.) That's all I'm going to add to this thread - and, like Sarah Perry, I have no interest in responding to posts which would argue against what I said.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:37 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
I agree with Motorman that no one religious denomination dominates the area, and that is good. Roman Catholic may appear to be a larger percentage than they actually are but that is due mainly to the number of parochial schools they still support and their effect on local sports leagues, etc. They are just more visible. But every other Christian denomination is represented also.

I also agree the Judaism influence on the area is historically and currently strong. In recent years the influence of non judeo-christian religions has become much more visible, especially up near where I live.

I also agree most people here do not wear their religion on their sleeves. I don't believe that makes them not religious, just very tolerant of other's views. If you come from an area where all social interactions revolve around church activities you may not find that the case here.

I am personally very proud so many different faiths appear to be capable of practicing here without a noticeable degree of great animosity or discord.

As far as football, I know it is huge in rural Texas, mainly because there is little else to do. But Cincinnati does not have to take a back seat to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati