U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 02:59 PM

17 posts, read 26,457 times

Advertisements

Do you know why there is no option to check "Hispanic/Latino" on traffic tickets? You can choose what to identify as....only options are white, black, asian, other....and the police officer chooses for you.

I had a discussion with a Cincinnati Police officer about this on the freeway the other day....he said, "Hispanic/Latino = White...that is what we are told". (Cinci cop was a good sport about it. Had same discussion with a police officer from Lockland, this guy was very unprofessional and ignorant about it.)

If Ohioan law enforcement is classifying "Hispanic/Latinos" as "white", why aren't they getting the same treatment as "whites"? Why are they being racially profiled if they are considered "white" under traffic violations?

Are statistics being manipulated by putting "Hispanic/Latinos" in the "white" category and used to prove that Ohio law enforcement is not discriminating, racial profiling, etc.?

Just something I have been thinking about and starting to dig into it. I will be asking the Cincinnati Police Chief and Lockland Police Chief. I will post their response when I get them.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:20 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
I have a different question. Why is race even on a traffic citation at all? It may have some meaning in other types of offenses for compiling data, but traffic citations?

But to answer the OP, Hispanic/Latino is not a race, but a characteristic of origin. If significant to identify something like profiling, then white, black, asian should be broken down much further, which is ridiculous. It would make as much sense to put Appalachian as a category.

Seems to me just an attempt to indicate prejudicial treatment in the issuance of traffic violations. What I do believe should be included, but do not know as I have not been cited for years, is US Citizen - Yes/No.

If you have issues with more than one jurisdiction over the same subject, we may be able to deduce who has the problem.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:09 PM

5,807 posts, read 10,347,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I have a different question. Why is race even on a traffic citation at all? It may have some meaning in other types of offenses for compiling data, but traffic citations?

But to answer the OP, Hispanic/Latino is not a race, but a characteristic of origin. If significant to identify something like profiling, then white, black, asian should be broken down much further, which is ridiculous. It would make as much sense to put Appalachian as a category.

Seems to me just an attempt to indicate prejudicial treatment in the issuance of traffic violations. What I do believe should be included, but do not know as I have not been cited for years, is US Citizen - Yes/No.

If you have issues with more than one jurisdiction over the same subject, we may be able to deduce who has the problem.
Exactly. Many hispanics are entirely Spanish in origin. They don't really immigrate however because they were born into money and opportunity more often than not, and don't need to find work in the US.

Hispanics have a lot of racial diversity.

Good point about Appalachians. Considering some people of Appalachian heritage have a little bit of native american in them (Cherokee especially) and some of them have a bit darker features, you could actually make that argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati