U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-25-2011, 11:48 AM
 
202 posts, read 315,832 times
Reputation: 73

Advertisements

Greetings!

I'm heading to Cincy for four days in a couple of weeks. I'll be taking the Greyhound in from CLE. First of all, how is your Greyhound station? Second, what should I do? I'll be staying with a friend who lives near the Greyhound station and enjoy breweries.

Cheers!
Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-25-2011, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Covington, KY
1,879 posts, read 2,123,049 times
Reputation: 590
Pardon my stupidity, but what/where is "CLE"? Cleveland? That's not listed in your profile while Chicago is....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2011, 12:04 PM
 
202 posts, read 315,832 times
Reputation: 73
Odd. I clicked my profile and didn't see anything. My settings have me at 44114 - Cleveland. But regardless, I'm still visiting Cincy for four days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2011, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Covington, KY
1,879 posts, read 2,123,049 times
Reputation: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEJoe View Post
Odd. I clicked my profile and didn't see anything. My settings have me at 44114 - Cleveland. But regardless, I'm still visiting Cincy for four days.

Try "About Me":

Previous locations Oxford, LA, Chicago, Lots 'o Travel!

I hope you enjoy your weekend in Cincinnati. The people are good. So, is the food. As for the bus station, it's been a number of years since I've been there, but it was nice then. Expect to take a city bus or cab farther into town. I found it a hike I didn't appreciate upon first discovery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2011, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Mason, OH
9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
Reputation: 1920
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEJoe View Post
Greetings!

I'm heading to Cincy for four days in a couple of weeks. I'll be taking the Greyhound in from CLE. First of all, how is your Greyhound station? Second, what should I do? I'll be staying with a friend who lives near the Greyhound station and enjoy breweries.

Cheers!
Joe
If you are up to a little bit of hoofing it, the Rock Bottom Brewery at Fountain Square is a nice brew pub. So is the Hofbrauhaus across the river in Newport. If you want a good hike you can take the Purple People Bridge across the Ohio river to Newport.

You are a little early for the new Christian Moerlein Lager House at the Banks on the riverfront, it is not completed yet. It is anticipated to be quite a feather in the cap of owner and CEO of Christian Moerlein Brewing Co., Greg Hardman. In addition to reviving the Christian Moerlein label, he has acquired the rights to several old Cincinnati labels - Hudepohl, Burger, Schoenling (including the quirkey Little Kings Ale). The Moerlein Lager House at the banks will be a microbrewery, and the rest of the brands are currently contracted out. But Hardman hopes to revive a large scale brewery in OTR (Over-the-Rhine) to produce several of the old Cincinnati brands.

Sam Adams (Boston Beer Co.) Brewery is located in the former Hudepohl-Schoenling brewery in OTR and brews 35% of the Sam Adams beers sold in the US, but I don't know whether they have tours. The rest of the Sam Adams beers are contract brewed, the Cincinnati brewery is the only one they directly own. Oddly enough, Jim Koch one of the founders and the most visible of Boston Beer Co. was born in Cincinnati and comes from a family with a long history of brewing. Koch, a graduate of Harvard, gave up a lucrative business career to help found Boston Beer. He and his original partners may have started it in, and named it Boston Beer Co., but I for one am proud of the fact when they grew they invested in reviving the great brewing tradition of Cincinnati. With the purchase of Anheuser-Busch by foreign interests, Boston Beer is now the largest American owned brewery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2011, 08:02 PM
 
6,351 posts, read 18,889,368 times
Reputation: 9895
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
If you are up to a little bit of hoofing it, the Rock Bottom Brewery at Fountain Square is a nice brew pub. So is the Hofbrauhaus across the river in Newport. If you want a good hike you can take the Purple People Bridge across the Ohio river to Newport.

You are a little early for the new Christian Moerlein Lager House at the Banks on the riverfront, it is not completed yet. It is anticipated to be quite a feather in the cap of owner and CEO of Christian Moerlein Brewing Co., Greg Hardman. In addition to reviving the Christian Moerlein label, he has acquired the rights to several old Cincinnati labels - Hudepohl, Burger, Schoenling (including the quirkey Little Kings Ale). The Moerlein Lager House at the banks will be a microbrewery, and the rest of the brands are currently contracted out. But Hardman hopes to revive a large scale brewery in OTR (Over-the-Rhine) to produce several of the old Cincinnati brands.

Sam Adams (Boston Beer Co.) Brewery is located in the former Hudepohl-Schoenling brewery in OTR and brews 35% of the Sam Adams beers sold in the US, but I don't know whether they have tours. The rest of the Sam Adams beers are contract brewed, the Cincinnati brewery is the only one they directly own. Oddly enough, Jim Koch one of the founders and the most visible of Boston Beer Co. was born in Cincinnati and comes from a family with a long history of brewing. Koch, a graduate of Harvard, gave up a lucrative business career to help found Boston Beer. He and his original partners may have started it in, and named it Boston Beer Co., but I for one am proud of the fact when they grew they invested in reviving the great brewing tradition of Cincinnati. With the purchase of Anheuser-Busch by foreign interests, Boston Beer is now the largest American owned brewery.
Heard on WLW that the Christian Moerlein Lager House will open on February 6, 2012. My birthday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2011, 07:56 AM
 
2,492 posts, read 3,654,578 times
Reputation: 1385
If you're visiting and like breweries, take kjbrill's advice and get to Rock Bottom on Fountain Square and Hofbrauhaus in Newport. I'd also recommend the Lackman in OTR for some great beers on tap. Make sure you try some Mount Carmel beers and Christian Moerlein beers - and some Rivertowns. All three are great Cincinnati brews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2011, 09:24 PM
 
13,714 posts, read 22,843,488 times
Reputation: 18526
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEJoe View Post
I'm heading to Cincy for four days in a couple of weeks. I'll be taking the Greyhound in from CLE.
It is better than Cleveland's in that it is in a slightly better area and is a much newer building. However, you can always count on a good collection of lowlifes. it is NOT a place that you really want to hang around.

It is a short walk into the downtown area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2011, 11:02 PM
 
2,492 posts, read 3,654,578 times
Reputation: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
It is better than Cleveland's in that it is in a slightly better area and is a much newer building. However, you can always count on a good collection of lowlifes. it is NOT a place that you really want to hang around.

It is a short walk into the downtown area.
Name a city where the Greyhound station IS somewhere you'd want to hang around. There's a reason they're located where they are in virtually every city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2011, 09:51 AM
 
13,714 posts, read 22,843,488 times
Reputation: 18526
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Name a city where the Greyhound station IS somewhere you'd want to hang around. There's a reason they're located where they are in virtually every city.

Boston South Station remind you more of an airport than a station. The one in downtown Dayton was also not all that Bad.

Most of the Peter Pan stations on the east coast are well kept up and have decent food available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top