U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 02:41 PM

405 posts, read 754,275 times

Advertisements

"Owners of Hamilton County's high-end homes get more back in a property tax rebate than they pay in the half-cent sales tax that funded" the stadiums.

"That means the "average" county homeowners are footing the bill for the stadiums."

Although I personally would benefit from this scheme, I don't think its fair. What is up with this trend? Do the commissioners literally TRY to screw the average homeowner to benefit the more wealthy? Or are they just too innumerate to understand their own proposals?

Stadium tax rebate favors wealthy | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 04:05 PM

526 posts, read 1,260,551 times
Honestly I don't see the unfairness. People with more costly houses by-and-large pay more taxes so they should receive more of a rebate. How is THAT unfair?

On the other hand, if YOU would like to pay more taxes, you can certainly voluntarily do so.

I wish people would stop worrying about what everyone else makes or pays.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:57 PM

405 posts, read 754,275 times
Well, I guess the original problem (long before I moved here) was that the county got taken in by the stadium deal. Their projections for how to pay for it were way off. Now it is underfunded. So who pays for it?

The problem is that the county is taking from one hand and giving with the other. Because my house is worth more, they give me a bigger rebate that wipes out any contribution I make to pay the stadium fiasco.

Your point, maybe well taken, is the rebate has nothing to do with the stadium (even though the two were explicitly linked in the original deal).

The problem is, when its all one pot of money, how you label it is artificial. They dont have enough to pay for the stadium deal, (right now its a 14 million dollar deficit), and the way this rebate is structured, only people with houses worth ~250,000 or less are paying for the stadium.

I guess I can't work up too much outrage if the county wants to hand me a bunch of money. I am just surprised. The median house price in the county is something like 130,000 ?). So why aren't the people with houses priced under 250,000 upset at getting stuck with footing the stadium bill?

Old 11-28-2011, 09:44 AM

526 posts, read 1,260,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolden View Post
I guess I can't work up too much outrage if the county wants to hand me a bunch of money. I am just surprised. The median house price in the county is something like 130,000 ?). So why aren't the people with houses priced under 250,000 upset at getting stuck with footing the stadium bill?
I agree with you ... and my house is worth a lot less than 250K; I guess they are too busy dressing up in Bengals garb and acting a fool on game day.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:39 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,956,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I agree with you ... and my house is worth a lot less than 250K; I guess they are too busy dressing up in Bengals garb and acting a fool on game day.
Not to mention the price of the tickets for the people who attend the games. I wish I had enough disposable income to regularly blow $250 or so on an afternoon's entertainment.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:23 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,377,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Not to mention the price of the tickets for the people who attend the games. I wish I had enough disposable income to regularly blow $250 or so on an afternoon's entertainment.
But Sarah, you are ignoring the constantly reiterated positive economic impact these teams have on Cincinnati. So the general public is underwriting the cost, which they should be thrilled about since it is a positive for Cincinnati, ignoring the fact many, perhaps most of them cannot afford to attend the games. Don't you understand economics?

Old 11-28-2011, 11:32 AM

5,318 posts, read 6,622,488 times
The original plan was to raise the county sales tax by 0.5% to pay for the stadiums. I don't see a connection between property taxes and the sales tax.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The original plan was to raise the county sales tax by 0.5% to pay for the stadiums. I don't see a connection between property taxes and the sales tax.
Well read the whole original agreement. The raising of the sales tax by 0.5% was to be offset by a property tax rebate for county residents. In other words it was expected the cost would be borne by sales tax paid by non-Hamilton county residents. Of course this has not actually happened. The amount of sales tax collected from non-Hamilton county residents has fallen far short of the projections. Therefore the Stadium Fund has a distinct shortfall. Once Hamilton Co cannot meet its obligations on the the stadium debt, what will happen?

It does favor the wealthier property owners, as the amount of property tax rebate far exceeds the normal amount of sales tax they would be expected to pay for purchases within the county. Whoever drew up those numbers had some creative accounting abilities, and guess who it favored.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:41 PM

5,318 posts, read 6,622,488 times
I see. Somebody assumed non-Hamilton county residents would do most of their shopping in Hamilton county.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I see. Somebody assumed non-Hamilton county residents would do most of their shopping in Hamilton county.
At least enough the 0.5% sales tax would pay for the stadiums. Of course, like most political projections it was based on increasing revenue. The opposite is true, the revenues have been decreasing. So the county is holding the bag.

Let's say you spent $10,000 in sales taxable purchases in Hamilton Co, within a year. This is quite a hefty sum. At the tax rate of 6.5% the total sales tax would be $650. The stadium tax, at 0.5% would be $50. Do you think that is going to pay for the stadiums? And look at the numbers, $10,000 in sales taxable purchases. Somebody really dropped the ball here and the ordinary taxpayers are stuck with the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati