U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 06:10 PM

14 posts, read 15,130 times

Advertisements

We are looking into relocating to the greater Cincinnati area and I have a few questions about traffic/commute times.

My husband's job would be in North Bend, but we are looking into the Mason area. I know that this is around 40 miles, up to 50 minutes, but I am wondering how the traffic is for this drive? Do we need to factor in more time for traffic?

As so many others have stated, I am interested in Mason because of the schools, however I acknowledge I don't know what I don't know! There may be many other areas that are closer to North Bend that have excellent schools, however I am still in the internet research stage and we have not been out there yet to check it out.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 07:11 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,736,066 times
i'd plan on a commute of over an hour. getting to 275 from mason is going to take a while during peak times. once you're on it, you should be pretty good, especially heading west in the morning. that route (mostly 275) isn't as susceptible to heavy traffic as north/south 71 or 75, but in general cincinnati has fairly heavy traffic.

if you're interested in getting feedback on areas to live, check out the sticky thread and perhaps start a relocation thread based on the questions therein.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:26 PM

Just to clarify, would this route be going against typical rush hour traffic?

Thanks!

Old 11-27-2011, 08:37 PM

31,225 posts, read 57,405,335 times
There's no 'typical' rush hour any longer. Everyone goes every which way to get from home to work.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the reply, that is very different from where we live, where there are major hubs of workplaces, surrounded by bedroom communities, basically.

I appreciate the help!

Old 11-28-2011, 12:28 AM

329 posts, read 565,038 times
Don't take this offensively...

Are you crazy! Commuting from MASON to NORTH BEND!!

Unless you already are moved in, you definitely should take a look at Miami Township as a consideration, it is quickly growing and safe and a lot of new development is going in...

Mason? (lol)

Old 11-28-2011, 01:57 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,383,973 times
I live in Mason and certainly would not want a commute to North Bend. We won't even make the drive there to play golf at Ashton Oaks, and we will drive about anywhere to play golf.

Just the stress and frustration of I-275 on a daily basis is enough to ruin anyone's disposition, and it doesn't even go directly to North Bend, you have to get off at like Kilby Rd south to US 50 and backtrack to North Bend. I would concur on the about an hour from Mason to North Bend. I would rather travel I-71 or I-75 any day rather than I-275. I can get to CVG airport in KY in under an hour, probably less time than to North Bend.

I have read your separate post using the newcomer questionnaire. The responses are what we created the questionnaire for. I hope people will respond there. You have presented a challenge, 5 kids, some with special needs, desiring great schools, family friendly suburban environment, college educated neighbors, etc. You have described Mason to a tee, but the commute for hubby is a nightmare.

I concur with the recommendation to look at Miami Township, Hamilton Co. for housing, as a lot is developing there and the commute should be a piece of cake. I am not familiar with the schools there so cannot comment. Post a question within your separate thread to ask people who reside in that area to comment on schools.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
There's no 'typical' rush hour any longer. Everyone goes every which way to get from home to work.
I kind of agree with this. People do seem to be traveling in every direction to get to work. The spreading out of the work sites, with so many companies having located in suburban industrial parks, has caused the anticipated into the City in the morning and out from the City at night to be distorted. There seems to be just about as much traffic in the opposite direction to/from job sites in the suburbs.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:24 AM

I appreciate the replies so far. To answer a few of the questions and to clarify:
1. We have 5 children and one of them has special needs, not some of them. I am very sensitive about this and it's extremely emotional for me, so I apologize for being somewhat defensive.
2. I don't think we're crazy, but I should add that my husband currently commutes 90 minutes (each way) to work. Why? Because of our son---we would do anything for him, so we moved closer to services, better options for therapy, etc. and out of a rural area where there was nothing in the way of supports for special needs.
3. I think an hour commute would be hard, but we are willing to do that if that's what is best for schools, house affordability, etc. My husband has a great income that we live comfortably on, but like I mentioned in my other thread, we spend $1500-$2000 a month on private therapy for our son, so we don't want a huge mortgage on top of that.

I am not going to move across the country just to be 45 minutes away from amazing schools and feel stuck in a sub par school system, it just means too much to us.

My husband is on a 4-day work week, which helps a little.
If you have other areas of suggestions, I would love to hear more. Thanks!

Last edited by sfmom5; 11-28-2011 at 02:34 AM..

Old 11-28-2011, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmom5 View Post
I appreciate the replies so far. To answer a few of the questions and to clarify:
1. We have 5 children and one of them has special needs, not some of them. I am very sensitive about this and it's extremely emotional for me, so I apologize for being somewhat defensive.
2. I don't think we're crazy, but I should add that my husband currently commutes 90 minutes (each way) to work. Why? Because of our son---we would do anything for him, so we moved closer to services, better options for therapy, etc. and out of a rural area where there was nothing in the way of supports for special needs.
3. I think an hour commute would be hard, but we are willing to do that if that's what is best for schools, house affordability, etc. My husband has a great income that we live comfortably on, but like I mentioned in my other thread, we spent $1500-$2000 a month on private therapy for our son, so we don't want a huge mortgage on top of that.

I am not going to move across the country just to be 45 minutes away from amazing schools and feel stuck in a sub par school system, it just means too much to us.

My husband is on a 4-day work week, which helps a little.
If you have other areas of suggestions, I would love to hear more. Thanks!
You have been very explicit in your needs/wants and hopefully we can respond in turn.

It is obvious everything revolves around your children, and that is great. WE must appreciate your out of pocket costs for your one son. If the hubby is currently doing a 90 minute commute, then maybe we should reconsider our position.

I am reasonably sure you can find a house in the Mason area meeting your criteria, size, cost, etc. In some locations a fenced yard may be a problem due to HOA restrictions, just avoid them.

I know Mason has top rated schools, among the top in the state. What I don't know is the degree to which they accommodate any special needs students. Someone having kids with such needs currently in the system needs to respond here.

This much I do know, overall this area has access to the best medical, educational, theraputical, etc. facilities in the Metro area.

If others have knowledge of better school districts for a special needs student, gifted student, etc. then please speak up and state your reasons why - access, cost, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati