U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 05:03 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,952,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
You should note that while the Reds have been no more successful than the Bengals in the last 20 years, and they have been the beneficiaries of a similar deal as the Bengals, they have managed to largely avoid the vitriol that has been aimed at the Bengals. Sure, fans get upset that the team hasn't won, but the Reds organization does a far superior job of ingratiating itself with the community...from the front office right down to the players on the field. The Reds have shown a greater commitment to community involvement, and more flexibility at the negotiating table. They have demonstrated a commitment to wanting to put the best product on the field possible, and are one of the best in baseball at creating a fun, family-oriented experience...everything from promotional events at games, to Redsfest, the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum, the Reds Caravan, player involvement in the community, and on and on. So, compare this post to my earlier one about the Bengals, and you'll see that it's nothing so shallow as wins and losses that has the city down on the Bengals. The organizations are perceived much differently because one is run like a pro organization that understands what its obligations are to the fans and the community, the other is run like a business that leaves the fans and the community feeling like they got screwed.
Isn't there a pretty big difference in the price of tickets, too? As in, aren't Reds games still reasonably affordable to medium-income people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 05:35 AM

5,318 posts, read 6,616,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen35 View Post
What's wrong with GE? Sorry, I work there and curious why people don't like them. They provide tons of jobs (also provide union jobs). Don't get why people don't like it when people are being employed in masses by a company and they are constantly hiring and bringing new work locally.

They are a hire/fire company. They spend a few years hiring, then spend the next few years laying off the people they just hired.

Constantly hiring? You must not have lived in Cincinnati very long.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:46 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,424,007 times
Am I missing something in this discussion? Of course, Mike Brown is a loathsome and conniving predator destroying his father's memory, but he is really just one villian.

Chiquita is the one company in Cincinnati with a bad public image. Worse than all of the rest combined. Employing a dozen Mike Brown types. Without wasting my valuable time researching their corporate misdeeds, wasn't it Chiquita that was the poster child for the Sarbanes Oxley bill due to their corporate crimes and bribes all over Central and South America? And wasn't it shown that they employed virtual slaves working on their corporate plantations somewhere?

300 jobs are important, but I was in that building with those vermin for a number of years and they were all Larry the Lizard types. Sleazy guys and slutty gals, transferred into Cincinnati against their will by Uncle Carl who they all hated, and participating in nothing unless he forced it. I say good riddance.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:11 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,024,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Isn't there a pretty big difference in the price of tickets, too? As in, aren't Reds games still reasonably affordable to medium-income people?
Indeed there is, but baseball offers a pricing advantage over the NFL largely because the Reds play 73 more home games per year than the Bengals. Football has to charge more for its "scarce" product. It's no surprise that more families aren't attending Bengals games based on cost, but the Bengals are not necessarily charging admission fees that any other NFL franchise isn't. It's the nature of the beast.

Of course, there were those who question(ed) why we needed to build a half billion dollar stadium for an enterprise who would only use the facility 8 times per year (during the regular season), but that's another conversation altogether.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:05 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
Wilson513... I agree with your assessment of Chiquita. Uncle Carl forced them to move here when he acquired at least controlling interest. None of them wanted to come here and hated the whole environment. I think they became too great an embarrassment to Carl, in addition to a deteriorating business, and he divested his interests, opening the door for their leaving Cincinnati. As you said, they never wanted to be here in the first place. Rather than just returning to NYC, they fished around for the best monetary offering. My opinion is they will not be in Charlotte long. And I also will not mourn their leaving.

The announcement of Omnicare moving to Cincinnati with 500 jobs appears good. But once again it is the tax breaks involved - corporate piracy. And it is rather like stealing from yourself. Since they are only moving about 1 mile, just across state lines, I see nothing as to how this benefits the Cincinnati area as a whole. The governor and mayor can ballyhoo the deal all they want, but the true result is wasting Ohio money to move jobs around within the region, no net gain in jobs or anything else.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:02 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,889,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
They are a hire/fire company. They spend a few years hiring, then spend the next few years laying off the people they just hired.

Constantly hiring? You must not have lived in Cincinnati very long.
Ram2, if I may; aviation-related companies usually have shorter boom/bust cycles than many other industries. Especially since they do a fair amount of defense and other government contracting. Even the civilian side of aviation isn't immune from this. Was in aircraft maintenance in the USAF and considered staying with it after I retired. The more I looked into it, the more glad I am that I'm driving a truck these days...

Old 12-01-2011, 12:16 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Ram2, if I may; aviation-related companies usually have shorter boom/bust cycles than many other industries. Especially since they do a fair amount of defense and other government contracting. Even the civilian side of aviation isn't immune from this. Was in aircraft maintenance in the USAF and considered staying with it after I retired. The more I looked into it, the more glad I am that I'm driving a truck these days...
Look at the major airlines and the problems they are going through, currently American is at the top of the list. The airline industry has shrunk in revenue since 9/11, as fuel costs are eating them alive. Just look at the consolidations and mergers and what that has meant. CVG is a prime example of the shifting and changes in the industry. I think GE Aviation has done a remarkable job in keeping their business relatively stable. There is no way I can label them as having a poor public image. If you worked for them and got laid off I can understand, but for the rest of us they are a valued company.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:18 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,654,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Am I missing something in this discussion? Of course, Mike Brown is a loathsome and conniving predator destroying his father's memory, but he is really just one villian.

Chiquita is the one company in Cincinnati with a bad public image. Worse than all of the rest combined. Employing a dozen Mike Brown types. Without wasting my valuable time researching their corporate misdeeds, wasn't it Chiquita that was the poster child for the Sarbanes Oxley bill due to their corporate crimes and bribes all over Central and South America? And wasn't it shown that they employed virtual slaves working on their corporate plantations somewhere?

300 jobs are important, but I was in that building with those vermin for a number of years and they were all Larry the Lizard types. Sleazy guys and slutty gals, transferred into Cincinnati against their will by Uncle Carl who they all hated, and participating in nothing unless he forced it. I say good riddance.

Bravo!

Old 12-05-2011, 08:11 PM

526 posts, read 1,260,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
You should note that while the Reds have been no more successful than the Bengals in the last 20 years, and they have been the beneficiaries of a similar deal as the Bengals, they have managed to largely avoid the vitriol that has been aimed at the Bengals. Sure, fans get upset that the team hasn't won, but the Reds organization does a far superior job of ingratiating itself with the community...from the front office right down to the players on the field. The Reds have shown a greater commitment to community involvement, and more flexibility at the negotiating table. They have demonstrated a commitment to wanting to put the best product on the field possible, and are one of the best in baseball at creating a fun, family-oriented experience...everything from promotional events at games, to Redsfest, the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum, the Reds Caravan, player involvement in the community, and on and on. So, compare this post to my earlier one about the Bengals, and you'll see that it's nothing so shallow as wins and losses that has the city down on the Bengals. The organizations are perceived much differently because one is run like a pro organization that understands what its obligations are to the fans and the community, the other is run like a business that leaves the fans and the community feeling like they got screwed.
Well put - the only other thing I would add is that the paradigms used by professional baseball & football is different.

The NFL with its comprehensive profit sharing program, awarding draft picks to losing teams, giving easier schedules to weaker teams philosophically wants teams to share in on-the-field success.

Mike Brown with his arrogant greed has managed defeated this system.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:14 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,889,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Look at the major airlines and the problems they are going through, currently American is at the top of the list. The airline industry has shrunk in revenue since 9/11, as fuel costs are eating them alive. Just look at the consolidations and mergers and what that has meant. CVG is a prime example of the shifting and changes in the industry. I think GE Aviation has done a remarkable job in keeping their business relatively stable. There is no way I can label them as having a poor public image. If you worked for them and got laid off I can understand, but for the rest of us they are a valued company.
In my mind, GE is a darn good company, Jack Welch notwithstanding...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati