U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 05:41 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,021 times

Advertisements

It would be nice if it spread up the hill to Mt Auburn and Walnut Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 06:00 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
It would be nice if it spread up the hill to Mt Auburn and Walnut Hills.
Yes and it would be nice of poor people were suddenly not poor. But neither one is likely to happen in the immediate future. Don't you read, our high paying companies are fleeing the city. So where will all of these rejuvenated neighborhoods have jobs? Just some of my sarcasm as to the too optimistic and too pessimistic extremes encountered in this city. Steady, year to year revitalization and growth is what is needed.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:43 PM

307 posts, read 440,845 times
It's more that it needs to spread past the hillside as far as mt auburn goes. It will be interesting to see what happens to the west side of sycamore. I've always liked the hills that run west along the hillside and it seems like you could have some pretty nice views along there. Unfortunately there aren't many shells around there just empty lots and really large apartment buildings.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:26 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
It's more that it needs to spread past the hillside as far as mt auburn goes. It will be interesting to see what happens to the west side of sycamore. I've always liked the hills that run west along the hillside and it seems like you could have some pretty nice views along there. Unfortunately there aren't many shells around there just empty lots and really large apartment buildings.
They did complete and sell all of the townhouses on Sycamore hill. That's the west side at about 1800 Sycamore. What are there, five or so?

Old 12-01-2011, 06:05 AM

1,879 posts, read 2,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Yea, I know that. I have some crime scene tape in my office as a reminder of a murder a year and a half ago where the tape was tied to my iron fence. But, I am down there a lot more than 8-5. Some evenings, every weekend day. My vehicle garage is across the street and I go there all times of day and night to switch out vehicles. But, your snarky reference to my interest in OTR as "being quaint" is pretty stupid since you really don't know me or why I would be moving down there.

Story #1 (The "quaint" is in another story):

Some few years ago I had an apartment in downtown Cincinnati, and I DO mean downtown. Fairly nice place when I moved in, and since it was within walking distance of the public library, I went there often to teach myself computer thingys.

The buildings, stores, etc., along the way were a mixture of downtown that "was" (some still nice places), downtown that some hope will be all over and downtown that "is" that's probably pretty much still the way it was then.

One building was a small retail outlet type place of about three floors, two big front windows (maybe two lots) that someone decided to turn into condos. After observing the uncivilized behavior of leaving old snow on the sidewalk, one day what was seen was floor plans taped to a window. It looked like the area of two very big rooms with a space in the middle for a stairway to go downstairs. A price was included in the display: approximately a quarter of a million dollars.

Now, sir, even if I had won a major lottery prize, no way in this world would I have paid a quarter of a million dollars for it. Among other things, almost next door there was a genuine, wood floor bar (saloon) that sometimes spilled out on the street (usually though, no police needed). I imagined some mis-guided yuppie, however, would buy into it.

One day what I saw coming down the street (on the sidewalk, of course) cautiously picking his way through a dozen people milling around the bus stop apparently to join somehow the grand march of pedestrian traffic tryng to get across the street at the corner, amid the roar of city buses from several routes starting up and other traffic, was an elderly man who looked like someone in an advertisement for a Florida retirement community. In his hand he had a dog lead attached to a pitifully terrified tiny white poodle that was all of maybe six inches off the ground. In that patch of ground even the blind man' guide dog was held in tight rein.

Well, apparently the man and his sick wife bought one of the condos. And, I don't think I have ever seen anyone more out of place.

Last edited by CarpathianPeasant; 12-01-2011 at 06:22 AM..

Old 12-01-2011, 06:11 AM

Five or six I think. The upper half is doing ok, it's all the massive apt buildings towards the bottom that can only really be apt or condos. I feel like I remember seeing one on the mls a few years back but I don't think it changed hands. I feel like I've been seing some construction pickup at rothenberg but I haven't really been following what supposed to be happening and whatnot.

That being said there's a shell of a building on Goethe St that I've always loved and really all of those streets are amazing. I like to take people back there because I feel likeost people don't realize how far they run along the hillside.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:49 AM

1,879 posts, read 2,121,445 times
Quote:
Five or six I think. The upper half is doing ok, it's all the massive apt buildings towards the bottom that can only really be apt or condos. I feel like I remember seeing one on the mls a few years back but I don't think it changed hands. I feel like I've been seing some construction pickup at rothenberg but I haven't really been following what supposed to be happening and whatnot.

That being said there's a shell of a building on Goethe St that I've always loved and really all of those streets are amazing. I like to take people back there because I feel likeost people don't realize how far they run along the hillside.

If what you are talking about is what I think you are talking about....

I once was given an address to go to thereabouts and started climbing that hill on foot. I finally got to a place where it was almost straight down to my left and behind me and no buildings. And, it was windy. I couldn't go farther up -- too steep for me. And, I couldn't even figure out how to turn around and go back down without rolling down the hill to the left.

A few feet away to the right there was a fire hydrant. Some how I managed to get that far and hung onto that fire hydrant trying to figure out what to do. Most conveniently at that point a cruiser ran past chasing another car, which stopped about a hundred feet further up the hill.

When the police got finished with the man in the other car and turned around to go back down the hill, I waved them down and explained, and thereby got back to civilization by bumming a ride from the police down to Liberty Street.

Cincinnati police do try to help distraught citizenry. As for the place, you can have it, with my best wishes.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:18 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
Quote:

We had a thread on Glencoe Place once too. there is some really incredible housing up on that hillside around Jacksion Park and Innwood Park.

But my candidate for the best renovated neighborhood in the US would be Pendleton. It is an island, and would be perfectly secure and self contained but for the current residents who fail to appreciate what they have. The Franciscans are to blame. Them and Model Realty (slum lord).
Pendleton has it all. Views, anchors (Pendleton Art Center, Verdin Bell, SCPA Building). Lovely mostly unmolested housing. The city should condemn the entire neighborhood, take it all by emminent domain and do a massive renewal. It would be jewel of the City and maybe of the country.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:51 AM

2,507 posts, read 3,351,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
"Subsidy to artificially distribute resources" is the only way development happens anywhere in this country.
I guess I should have been more specific. I fully support local government participation in the betterment of the community. I do not think that gentrification in itself is an ends that deserves public support, because it is really just a reshuffling of resources and demographics that rewards some and punishes others.

If a more developed downtown and OTR brings prosperity to a broad group, I am all for development. If it separates people without personal transportation from the services they depend on and pushes urban problems into areas lacking the infrastructure to deal with them, I don't think it is something the city should be investing in.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:56 AM

I agree on that. The density in pendelton is unlike other parts of OtR. Im vaguely familiar with model and saw that thy recently purchased a bunch of places in pendelton, have they been there awhile? I know they been involved with some of the 3cdc projects on vine but past that my knowledge is somewhat limited. That being said i do love the upper parts of all those streets (broadway, spring, etc) just wish it would spread out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or