U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 03:14 PM

682 posts, read 1,389,021 times

Advertisements

Mc Clatchy recently did an article on OTR and how is is number one nationally in "Income Disparity", the difference between the haves and have nots and points to the fact that one of the poorest neighborhood in the country is gentryfying. Something I noticed 3 years ago.

Highest income-inequality tract in America is gentrifying | McClatchy

At the same time 3CDC announced they are planning on more restorations of high income single family homes in OTR in the 200-750K range because there is demand.

Home makeover in Over-the-Rhine | CommunityPress.com | cincinnati.com

These development 'may' signal that OTR has really turned a corner, even in a bad economy. Will we now see a shift, as has happened in many cities, of the poor largely concentrated in the older areas of the townships creating a ring of affluence in the urban and far suburban neighborhoods witha ring of poverty in between. If so how do we plan for the inevitable in terms of services and trransportation as a city moving forward and is this shift a good thing or bad thing for the city overall?

It does seem like many churches and social service organizations are 'abandoning" OTR as property values rise and there is decreasing 'clientel' to service. Will all this shift to the townships?

I have observed this happen in other cities I have lived in and I wonder how you think all this will play out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 03:27 PM

361 posts, read 547,169 times
I didn't read your whole post, but this could possibly be a good thing. I'm not sure how long this income inequality has existed, but it could signify that some of the more wealthy people are actually moving into OTR, if this has happened rather recently. This could really help the neighborhood and accelerate the renaissance that is occuring in OTR, thus creating a positive feedback loop.

Last edited by 13th Alphabet; 11-29-2011 at 04:45 PM..

Old 11-29-2011, 03:35 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,440,335 times
I enjoy 14th and Sycamore more each day. We got a new guy, a 70 year old couple who relocated from Wyoming (I speak the truth Jen) with a friendly dog and a good attitude. He and Lucy (the dog) were fascinated by the recent man hunt for the escapees from the Justice Center. The cops set up perimeters and signaled each other with beeps from their sirens to the delight of Lucy. Eventually the perps were apprehended and everything returned to a quiet evening. Makes me see it as more and more likely that I will renovate the 11 rooms (2700 square feet) in the two 1860's row houses' space above my office and downsize to OTR.

Last edited by Wilson513; 11-29-2011 at 04:06 PM..

Old 11-29-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I enjoy 14th and Sycamore more each day. We got a new guy, a 70 year old couple who relocated from Wyoming (I speak the truth Jen) with a friendly dog and a good attitude. He and Lucy (the dog) were fascinated by the recent man hunt for the escapees from the Justice Center. The cops set up perimeters and signaled each other with beeps from their sirens to the delight of Lucy. Eventually the perps were apprehended and everything returned to a quiet evening. Makes me see it as more and more likely that I will renovate the 11 rooms (2700 square feet) above my office and downsize to OTR.
Typical cynical attitude that pervades this city.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:03 PM

Did you think I was joking?

Old 11-29-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Did you think I was joking?
Yes, I thought you were joking, my apologies. I misinterpreted the post as sarcasm. Did the guy move from the state of Wyoming, or Wyoming, OH?

Old 11-29-2011, 04:31 PM

Apology accepted. It would have been good sarcasm; humor is often found in a take on the truth. It actually is very interesting down here seeing the clash of culture.

The new guy is from Wyoming Ohio. Very cool guy who was a cabinet maker in NYC and retired to his wife's home town (Cincinnati) and now is on this new adventure.

If I renovate the upper floors, he my have a great part time job. He doesn't know it yet. But I am sure he would enjoy it.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:33 PM

^Very good to hear. Hope the trend continues with more people like them.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:52 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,124,992 times
Quote:
Apology accepted. It would have been good sarcasm; humor is often found in a take on the truth. It actually is very interesting down here seeing the clash of culture.

The new guy is from Wyoming Ohio. Very cool guy who was a cabinet maker in NYC and retired to his wife's home town (Cincinnati) and now is on this new adventure.

If I renovate the upper floors, he my have a great part time job. He doesn't know it yet. But I am sure he would enjoy it.

And, probably both he and you can pull out at the drop of a hat once the quaintness wears off.

Nice looking digs -- not my style, but nice looking nonethess. Just remember, spending nights there is not the same as wandering in from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday or some such thing.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
And, probably both he and you can pull out at the drop of a hat once the quaintness wears off.

Nice looking digs -- not my style, but nice looking nonethess. Just remember, spending nights there is not the same as wandering in from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday or some such thing.
Yea, I know that. I have some crime scene tape in my office as a reminder of a murder a year and a half ago where the tape was tied to my iron fence. But, I am down there a lot more than 8-5. Some evenings, every weekend day. My vehicle garage is across the street and I go there all times of day and night to switch out vehicles. But, your snarky reference to my interest in OTR as "being quaint" is pretty stupid since you really don't know me or why I would be moving down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or