U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 08:04 PM

361 posts, read 546,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
All of Michigan is NOT in the Eastern time zone. The western portion of the Upper Peninsula is in the central time zone. The boundary passes thru the middle of Lake Gogebic.
Well that's weird. Thanks for correcting me though. When we visited Houghton, and were still located in the Eastern time zone, I assumed all of Michigan was located in it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 08:48 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,002,143 times
Easiest answer: Cincinnati is a mix of damn-near everything (southern, midwestern, eastern)

Old 11-29-2011, 09:14 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,999,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
^Have you been to Cincinnati? From a transplants' point of view, I find Cleveland and Cincinnati are more similar to one another than the residents of both cities would like to admit.
Yes, everything is relative.

I think the main point to make is that we as a country treat state borders as some sort of definitive dividing line, which they are not.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:22 PM

465 posts, read 356,375 times
Cincinnati is much older than any cities west of the appalachians except new orleans. that is what makes it different.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:10 PM

329 posts, read 564,509 times
After touring Atlanta last month, I can tell you all Cincinnati DEFINITELY has more of a Southern feel than a Midwestern or East Coast feel.

Why?

It is starting to become alot like how the Southern States are gentrifying everything, we are doing that.

The climate is not too cold or too hot, so you cannot really argue for an appeal related to weather.

Half the people I know in Cincinnati (On the Westside at least) have either redneck accents or have deep southern accents which is crazy when you think about how urban of a feel this city has.

I swear parts of Colerain look exactly like the dangerous parts of Atlanta (Lol not trying to say something, just throwing that out there).

Cincinnati is starting to have more of a progressive feel as we pass new ideas and plans for development and gentrification, progressive feel cannot be found in many Ohio cities now.

Fortune 500 companies everywhere, most Southern Cities have many.

BUT

Architecture here is very East Coast, but is slowly having a more modernized revamped feel frankly.

-

In conclusion, I think Cincinnati definitely feels more like the South than it does the East or Midwest.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:33 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,655,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
So what exactly is the definition of Midwest? It is only approximately the middle of the country and only west of the east coast. We probably could have used another term Mideast, but it is too late to create it now. If you look at the 12 states considered to be part of the Midwest, Ohio is definitely one of them. South of the Ohio river is Southern.

As Cincinnati is located on the Ohio river it is going to naturally share traits between the Midwest and the South. But it is still Midwest.

Pittsburg shares a lot of traits with Cincinnati. But it is in an Eastern state and therefore an Eastern city.

You may try to redraw geography, but it is what it is.
It is what it is ... except when it isn't.

You've traveled extensively KJ, of that I'm sure. And I'm equally sure that you've encountered differing opinions as to what, exactly, Ohio is. It's everything from Eastern to Midwestern to even somewhat Southern. And ask someone in Philly and they'll tell you flat-out that Ohio is "out west."

The fact remains: You can't pigeonhole Ohio. It's not entirely anything, but shares something with two distinct regions (East and Midwest) and has touches of another (the South). So, since it can't be pegged, call it what you will. Everyone has their opinion. I have cousins in Cleveland that will crack a bottle over your head if you call their city Midwestern. They're a 90-minute drive from Pittsburgh - they're Eastern.

In my opinion, Ohio is far more Eastern than it is Midwestern (I cringe when people say it has traits of the South, which it may but it's not that prevalent). And no one can convince me otherwise. Plus, we now have Yuengling beer, which is entirely East Coast/Southeast. Try to order a Yuengling in Iowa or Missouri and they'll look at you like you're from another planet.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:48 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,730,809 times
culture of the midwest peppered with the south, architecture and history of the northeast
it's easier to just say, Cincinnati is like Cincinnati.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:57 AM

361 posts, read 546,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post
After touring Atlanta last month, I can tell you all Cincinnati DEFINITELY has more of a Southern feel than a Midwestern or East Coast feel.

Why?

It is starting to become alot like how the Southern States are gentrifying everything, we are doing that.

The climate is not too cold or too hot, so you cannot really argue for an appeal related to weather.

Half the people I know in Cincinnati (On the Westside at least) have either redneck accents or have deep southern accents which is crazy when you think about how urban of a feel this city has.

I swear parts of Colerain look exactly like the dangerous parts of Atlanta (Lol not trying to say something, just throwing that out there).

Cincinnati is starting to have more of a progressive feel as we pass new ideas and plans for development and gentrification, progressive feel cannot be found in many Ohio cities now.

Fortune 500 companies everywhere, most Southern Cities have many.

BUT

Architecture here is very East Coast, but is slowly having a more modernized revamped feel frankly.

-

In conclusion, I think Cincinnati definitely feels more like the South than it does the East or Midwest.
It's kind of weird how much certain parts of the Westside show a strong resemblence to southern cities. The first time I drove on Colerain Ave., I was surprised how much it reminded me of Greenville, SC. You could probably plot Mt.Airy somewhere in the Atlanta metro and it would hardly standout.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:01 AM

5,318 posts, read 6,617,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
Well that's weird. Thanks for correcting me though. When we visited Houghton, and were still located in the Eastern time zone, I assumed all of Michigan was located in it.

Were you visiting Michigan Tech?

Old 11-30-2011, 08:19 AM

31,210 posts, read 57,343,818 times
Labels are for food jars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or