U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:22 AM

8,727 posts, read 7,089,254 times

Advertisements

abr7rmj... I agree state lines are not always indicative of the culture.

In fact, even though Pittsburgh is in a definitely eastern state, Pennsylvania, I do not consider it eastern. Over my travel experiences the differences between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are night-and-day. I found everything in Pittsburgh, and I spent a lot of time there over a span of years, to be very similar to Cincinnati. For a long period of time when Pittsburgh had the monikor of the Steel City (Steelers get it?), and Cincinnati a combination of Pork Capital and Machine Tool Capital, I drew direct correlations between the two, most specifically the work ethic of their inhabitants.

To me, cities like Philadelphia, Hartford Connecticut, the venerable Boston, up to Bankor Maine, NYC, Jersey City, down to Baltimore, these are Eastern cities.

If you go directly north from Cincinnati, you eventually hit Detroit. That is about as Midwestern of a city as I can describe.

Sorry to disappoint your cousins, but Cleveland is not an eastern city. They may be a 90-minute drive from Pittsburgh, but as I said it is not all that eastern either. Now if they want to cite Buffalo, it is far more of an eastern city than Pittsburgh.

To me, a more definitive definition of Midwest has to do with the Rust Belt, or the prior large steel producing and manufacturing region of the US. This is why I place Pittsburgh there, where else would the Steel City be? This is also why Cincinnati and the majority of the cities in Ohio belong there. Detroit, definitely. Minnesota - where do you think the iron ore came from? Wisconsin, where the lake steamers to move the ore were built. So to me the 12 census designated states of the Midwest are right on, and some close neighbors such as Pittsburgh belong there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 01:10 PM

5,054 posts, read 5,901,971 times
Cincinnati is abosolutely midwestern.

I see anything west of the Appalachians as where the midwest begins. The Appalachians mountains are the boundary between the eastern seabord and the midwest.

IMO, the midwest transitions to the great plains when you get a certain distance west of the Mississippi.

To me, Omaha and Kansas city are more great plains than midwest.

From a median population center of the country, Cincinnati believe it or not is not that far from it!

As most of the population is still east of the Mississipppi it does pull the geographic center.

Median center of United States population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As far as how I see Cincinnati? Its honestly one of my favorite cities in the midwest, way more cool than people realize, and seriously not as southern or conservative as people claim.

Thing is, it LIES in the middle of a very conservative part of the country where IN, KY, and Oh come together. Where you have mix of German and Appalachian cultural influences.

But since Cincinnati metro is on the smaller side, it doesn't take long to get into conservative territory. (Thats why all the talk about the creation museum, of the touchdown Jesus in Monroe or whatever). Those institutions don't reallt represent Cincys core. Those areas are on the far edge of the metro area. It would be like judging Chicago based on Joliet or Kenosha, WI.

I think a lot of the conservative influence that the city is known for has moved out into the suburbs.

The core of the city from an urban fabric is definitely more east coast than just about any other midwestern city. The architecture of inner city Cincinnati is the closest to Brooklyn, NY as you can find in the midwest. Even Chicago doesn't have very many areas of east coast rowhouse neighborhoods.

Also, despite some open racism that has tarnished Cincys reputation, I don't think of it as that segregated. I would say Chicago and Cleveland are probably more segregated. In Cincy, you have small pockets of affluence never that far from small areas of ghetto. Its not like one whole side is the nice side of town, and the other side is the bad. In Cincy its a mosaic.

Granted ethnic diversity is low. While the universities and corporations attract people from all over the world, Cincinnati does not have the ethnic diversity of neighborhoods that Chicago or Cleveland is known for. Its primarily a northern European (German, Irish, English) or Black city.

It has world class educational institutions in its core neighborhoods like SCPA (One of the best creative and peforming arts high schools in the country) as well as other outstanding racially integrated magnet schools (IE: Walnut Hills). And its a corporate giant considering its size with Proctor and Gamble, etc.

So, I would say, Cincinnati is geographically midwestern, with east coast style urban fabric, with a certain southern influence among some sectors of the areas population.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:57 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,099,663 times
^The metro is conservative. The city itself, not so much.

Besides that, I'm glad someone else noticed the striking similarities between Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. A friend of mine just moved to Pittsburgh and remarked on how close it was to the Queen City in terms of built environment, topography and people.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:28 PM

993 posts, read 1,236,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Sorry to disappoint your cousins, but Cleveland is not an eastern city. They may be a 90-minute drive from Pittsburgh, but as I said it is not all that eastern either. Now if they want to cite Buffalo, it is far more of an eastern city than Pittsburgh.
Are you speaking culturally? Have you ever been to Buffalo? Buffalo and Cleveland have more in common than Pittsburgh and Cincinnati(although PGH and Cincy do seem to share a lot of similarities).

I don't think there's anything intrinsically "good" about being Eastern, Midwestern, or otherwise.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Labels are for food jars.
Right, but without labels most CD posters would have nothing to talk about.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post
It is starting to become alot like how the Southern States are gentrifying everything, we are doing that....

Cincinnati is starting to have more of a progressive feel as we pass new ideas and plans for development and gentrification, progressive feel cannot be found in many Ohio cities now.
Gentrification is not unique to Cincinnati. Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and just about every other major American city is experiencing some form of gentrification.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:25 AM

2,507 posts, read 5,748,320 times
Midwest really isn't a geographic definition. Its much more cultural.

Ohio - not East Coast.

Its as midwestern as Michigan, and Michigan is definitely midwest.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:19 AM

8,727 posts, read 7,089,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Are you speaking culturally? Have you ever been to Buffalo? Buffalo and Cleveland have more in common than Pittsburgh and Cincinnati(although PGH and Cincy do seem to share a lot of similarities).

I don't think there's anything intrinsically "good" about being Eastern, Midwestern, or otherwise.
I am speaking of just about every experience you encounter. And yes I have been to Buffalo a whole lot of times, since my 45 year working career took me constantly to cities all over the US. The only thing I see really common between Cleveland and Buffalo is the lake effect snow in some areas, with Buffalo the clear winner. Dirving within Buffalo after a large snow storm, after the streets have been cleared, is like driving through canyons. You have to creep at any intersection because you cannot see around the corner until you are already in the intersection. Buffalo is also affected by the large number of Canadians who come across the border to shop. Buffalo may not be as eastern as Rochester, but it is close. I just never associated Buffalo with heavy industry, compared to cities like Erie PA, Cleveland OH, Pittsburgh PA, Cincinnati OH, etc.

Pittsburgh and Cincinnati share a great deal of similarities, both geographical with the river and hills, cultural with great educational institutions, museums, sports, and most important to me people. Early in my career I spent a very large amount of time in Pittsburgh due to our business with the steel corporations. True, both cities have had to reinvent themselves with the extreme downsiizing or loss of their most basic industries. But there is nowhere else I consider more like Cincinnati than Pittsburgh. Downtown Pittsburgh, at the confluence of the Monongahela and Allegeny rivers to form the Ohio is more constricted than downtown Cincinnati. The river hills around Pittsburgh are tall and steep enough to require several tunnels.

I don't believe there is necessarily anything better about Midwestern or Eastern, just different.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:23 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,145,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Midwest really isn't a geographic definition. Its much more cultural.

Ohio - not East Coast.

Its as midwestern as Michigan, and Michigan is definitely midwest.
Why is Michigan the measuring stick? Ohio's footprint extends much further east than Michigan, and Michigan extends far further west than Ohio (and I'm not even taking into account the UP).

They share a border, yes. But Ohio also shares much longer border with Pennsylvania. And Ohio is less than 47 miles from New York state (just slightly longer than the distance from Florence to Middletown, which are both in the Cincinnati metro).

I've always felt it was a stretch to lump it with the gigantic footprint of the Midwest. If anything, it is a Great Lakes state or a state without a clear definition of what region it belongs too. But when people lump everything from Oklahoma and Kansas in with Ohio and Michigan as the "Midwest," it really stretches boundaries and credibility. Fargo, N.D., and Cleveland are simply not in the same region. But if you go by the standard "Midwest" definition they are. Absurd.

Kentucky is similar. While many people consider it a Southern state, is it really? It has far more in common with Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana than it does with Louisiana, South Carolina and Alabama.

As someone from southern Georgia if they think Kentucky is "southern"?

Last edited by abr7rmj; 12-01-2011 at 11:09 AM..

Old 12-01-2011, 10:35 AM

5,265 posts, read 10,551,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenof_Cincinnati View Post
Well Cincinnati has bridges like New York City ......and I disagree then Why Cincinnati isn't on "Central Standard time zone" I can drive only 2hours west Of Cincy to Indianapolis then it's a hour behind and they are on CST time!
Indianapolis is also in Eastern Standard Time....

http://www.city-data.com/city/Indianapolis-Indiana.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati