Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:55 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
That is not correct. Whatever you think of WV and the South, WV has far far less in common with "Mid-Atlantic" than the South.

Eastern WV is mid-Atlantic. Residents from eastern WV commute daily to Washington, DC. Likewise, residents of northern WV commute to Pittsburgh daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 12:24 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,792,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Eastern WV is mid-Atlantic. Residents from eastern WV commute daily to Washington, DC. Likewise, residents of northern WV commute to Pittsburgh daily.
So eastern WV residents commute daily to DC. Now that is one commute I would want to part of. And the WV residents who commute to Pittsburgh, where do they live Wheeling or Morgantown. I guess I will have to modify my considerations for those who inquire about a commute between Cincinnati and Dayton. It is cakewalk compared to what you are suggesting.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
So eastern WV residents commute daily to DC. Now that is one commute I would want to part of. And the WV residents who commute to Pittsburgh, where do they live Wheeling or Morgantown. I guess I will have to modify my considerations for those who inquire about a commute between Cincinnati and Dayton. It is cakewalk compared to what you are suggesting.

There is Maryland rail service from eastern WV to DC.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
There is Maryland rail service from eastern WV to DC.
When you say eastern you got that right. What is Martinsburg, maybe 20 miles from the WV border and maybe 18,000 population. Hardly indicative of a WV population commuting to DC.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:31 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenof_Cincinnati View Post
That's actually not true....city-data has to correct that.
Um....it actually is true. Almost all of Indiana is in Eastern Standard time with the exception of the very NW portion near Chicago and the very SW area around Evansville.

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/c...s/timezone.htm

Old 12-01-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Um....it actually is true. Almost all of Indiana is in Eastern Standard time with the exception of the very NW portion near Chicago and the very SW area around Evansville.
Did Indiana vote to join the rest of the Eastern Time zone for Daylight Savings Time or not. I remember for years when we were on the same time half of the year and an hour different the other half. Or did the government mandate it.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post

current dates and times in u.s. states map

The areas around Lafayette are on central time. That's not really the NW part of Indiana.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:33 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
I've got an idea ... Let's go over to the Indiana forum and argue about what time it is.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:44 AM

7 posts, read 44,050 times
Right!!! Lol

Old 12-04-2011, 10:15 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I am speaking of just about every experience you encounter. And yes I have been to Buffalo a whole lot of times, since my 45 year working career took me constantly to cities all over the US. The only thing I see really common between Cleveland and Buffalo is the lake effect snow in some areas, with Buffalo the clear winner. Dirving within Buffalo after a large snow storm, after the streets have been cleared, is like driving through canyons. You have to creep at any intersection because you cannot see around the corner until you are already in the intersection. Buffalo is also affected by the large number of Canadians who come across the border to shop. Buffalo may not be as eastern as Rochester, but it is close. I just never associated Buffalo with heavy industry, compared to cities like Erie PA, Cleveland OH, Pittsburgh PA, Cincinnati OH, etc.

Pittsburgh and Cincinnati share a great deal of similarities, both geographical with the river and hills, cultural with great educational institutions, museums, sports, and most important to me people. Early in my career I spent a very large amount of time in Pittsburgh due to our business with the steel corporations. True, both cities have had to reinvent themselves with the extreme downsiizing or loss of their most basic industries. But there is nowhere else I consider more like Cincinnati than Pittsburgh. Downtown Pittsburgh, at the confluence of the Monongahela and Allegeny rivers to form the Ohio is more constricted than downtown Cincinnati. The river hills around Pittsburgh are tall and steep enough to require several tunnels.

I don't believe there is necessarily anything better about Midwestern or Eastern, just different.
I think Buffalo had a lot more industry than Erie ever did. Cleveland is more like Buffalo than you think. If Buffalo was healthier, it could be like Cleveland's twin. Cleveland feels more eastern than Pittsburgh does as well.

I agree with Pittsburgh and Cincinnati though. But I have always viewed Cincinnati more white collar and Pittsburgh more blue collar until recently. Cincinnati never fell nearly as hard as Pittsburgh did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati