U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:01 AM

8,717 posts, read 7,021,111 times

Advertisements

I just don't find California Pizza Kitchen's (CPK) frozen offerings to look all that attractive. I have never been in one of their stores so I don't know anything about the store offerings. I know the CPK name was licensed to Kraft to market the frozen variety as a premium variety. Since Kraft already had Digiorno I suspect is why CPK is priced higher. When Kraft sold all of its pizza lines to Swiss-based Nestle in 2010 I assume the CPK rights went along with them.

As far as the plants which actually produce the pizzas, they are likely the same operating under contract to Nestle. Have you notice the Toll House Cookie dough packaged with some of the Digiorno pizzas? That is also Nestle so now you get the connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 01:28 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,411,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
In Cincinnati, the Freschetta and Red Baron brand pizzas come out of the same Schwan Food Co. factory in NKY. You can see it along I-75. Tony's is also another of their brands. This is a very large food services company.
Yeah, we've seen that factory and I was already aware of the Schwan's - Freschetta - Red Baron connection. But there are definitely product tiers. The cheeses on a Freschetta pizza taste qualitatively better to me than do the ingredients on other mass brand pizzas.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:49 PM

None of the frozen pizzas have enough cheese to suit me. When I bake a pizza, I want to see a golden crust of melted cheese over the entire thing, since I am a cheese nut. Now I recognize this is not something they are going to go for the average market, and the reason I augment every frozen pizza I purchase. But it is also why I honestly prefer home-made frozen pizza after my augmentation process over the pickup or delivery chains, not enough cheese. The crust has to be decent, but is not the defining factor. My biggest criteria is it does not get in the way of the rest of the pizza. If I want to eat just bread, garlic flavored cheese bread does just fine.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:54 AM

25,584 posts, read 32,355,085 times
Quote:
I want to see a golden crust of melted cheese over the entire thing
Yuck!!!!

Old 12-08-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yuck!!!!
To each their own. That is what makes our differences so pronounced and gives vibrancy to our lives.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yuck!!!!
Just today, for lunch I prepared a Totino's pizza. Now my wife bought these, I have no idea why, as they must rank among the worst pizzas ever. But after my augmentation, smothered it in shredded Pepper Jack and White Cheddar, and baked until I had a golden crust, it was tolerable or maybe a degree above. Not due at all to the original preparation, just to the added cheese.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:19 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,411,540 times
Quote:
Just today, for lunch I prepared a Totino's pizza. Now my wife bought these, I have no idea why, as they must rank among the worst pizzas ever. But after my augmentation, smothered it in shredded Pepper Jack and White Cheddar, and baked until I had a golden crust, it was tolerable or maybe a degree above. Not due at all to the original preparation, just to the added cheese.
When I was growing up my mom also augmented cheap frozen pizzas with shredded cheeses from packages. It was OK but unappetizing: the texture of most shredded cheeses is just wrong when it melts, and it looks a bit like ice cream covering the pizza. (blarg)

At its heart, a cheap frozen pizza has a lousy dried out cracker crust and mediocre sauce - it is a flawed foundation.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:36 AM

2,330 posts, read 2,139,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
When I was growing up my mom also augmented cheap frozen pizzas with shredded cheeses from packages. It was OK but unappetizing: the texture of most shredded cheeses is just wrong when it melts, and it looks a bit like ice cream covering the pizza. (blarg)

At its heart, a cheap frozen pizza has a lousy dried out cracker crust and mediocre sauce - it is a flawed foundation.
I'm not really a fan of frozen pizza, but you don't necessarily have to settle for the crackery crusts anymore. You might want to just try one of the rising crust varieties, especially if you can find a Freschetta on sale. It won't knock your socks off, but it might be an emergency alternative for the next 6 inch snowfall.

And as a general rule, if you're going to add cheese to anything baked, ones with the higher fat contents will melt bettter.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:53 AM
Status: "I'll be with you forever, my dear little Kiwi." (set 6 days ago)

Location: Going back to the forest to be with nature's goodness.
14,570 posts, read 6,425,994 times
Quote:

I buy them all the time....great deal!

Old 12-15-2011, 12:28 PM

279 posts, read 377,768 times
All of the frozen pizzas taste like crap to me...50% bread with hardly any toppings...I'll pass. If I want pizza, I buy from a fresh made place...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati