U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 07:24 AM

3 posts, read 8,531 times

Advertisements

I know there is a lot of discussion in various threads, but nothing seems to elaborate too specifically on the Findlay Market area. I currently live at The Banks, but am planning to move out in a couple of weeks to save some $. I am looking solely in OTR, as that's my favorite neighborhood in the city, particularly the revived Gateway and Main St areas. However, one apartment I've checked out andam strongly considering is at Findlay Market, overlooking the market. I'm wondering if anyone lives in that immediate vicinity and can comment on their comfort level walking in the immediate area and parking your car, both at night. I have no concerns during the day, as I shop there frequently with no concern. Would love to hear some thoughts.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 08:52 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,952,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2180 View Post
I know there is a lot of discussion in various threads, but nothing seems to elaborate too specifically on the Findlay Market area. I currently live at The Banks, but am planning to move out in a couple of weeks to save some $. I am looking solely in OTR, as that's my favorite neighborhood in the city, particularly the revived Gateway and Main St areas. However, one apartment I've checked out andam strongly considering is at Findlay Market, overlooking the market. I'm wondering if anyone lives in that immediate vicinity and can comment on their comfort level walking in the immediate area and parking your car, both at night. I have no concerns during the day, as I shop there frequently with no concern. Would love to hear some thoughts.
You could check the cincinnati.com crime data statistics at Cincinnati.Com Data Center: CinciNavigator

This tool has been discussed a number of times on the forum. It's a LOT of data, although I know when I look at my own neighborhood I feel like it doesn't go into enough detail for me to assess whether a call for service would seem like something I should be interested in or not.

On a kind of unrelated note, I did learn that whenever somebody's home alarm system goes off, it results in a "residential burglary" notation, which rattled me quite a bit until I found out what the deal was.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:08 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,729,032 times
there really isn't very much decent residential in the findlay market area. i also am curious where the parking would be. i would be okay living around findlay market if i was able to park right next to my house so that i could easily come and go late at night. it has been said that safe parking makes or breaks the early stages of neighborhood turnaround.

during the day it would be fantastic, of course. and you could do all your shopping downstairs.

another area with fairly low rents and more residential is the Pendleton area.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the info. Agreed, parking is huge. In this case, I'd be parking in the Findlay Market lot, within 20-30 feet of the entrance to the building. I'm kind of less concerned with that walk than I am with leaving my car overnight.

I've also been looking at Pendleton, but there just aren't as many decent residential units, and parking seems to be an even bigger issue since it's almost all street parking.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:51 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,419,547 times
I'm shocked. I have to say, the apartment looks cool. I assume that is 110 Elder $450 for 850 Ft. But, Jeez, Findlay Market? Are people really moving in there? Now that is a rough neighborhood.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:17 PM

682 posts, read 1,388,220 times
Findlay is in transition, but its getting there. I know of three people who have bought buildings in the immediate area and are restoring those mixed-use buildings with plans on living there. There is a lot of section 8 and slumlord buildings left around there but much is vacant. Either due to investors who are sitting on property or people who have bought and are in the restoration process.

Many of the service and church type agencies seem to be leaving since their 'clientel' has been pushed out by rents that are starting to rise. The big church on the corner of Findlay and Elm is leaving and they ownwed the entire block from Elder to Findlay on West side of Elm. Those are ripe for redevelopment. There are a couple of nice in-progress condo/loft developments being done in the immediate area right now.

The police are pretty much "camped out" in the area at night, to prevent any damage to the market area itself. Having said all the good things , its going to be noisy at night with lot of "street traffic" with prositution on both Race and Elm. Expect to hear some loud stereos at night. It, IS NOT the Findlay you see during the day. If you have never lived in a real urban environment (Banks is not a "Real' Urban environment) you may not be happy there.

My suggestion is drive the area at night about 7-8 PM to see if you are comfortable with the area. Many of the negatives will be disapearing over the next two years but at least at night you are still "Urban pioneering'. Personally I wouldn't have problem with living there but I've been "pioneering" in far worse areas over the years and little scares me. But its totaly dead after 6 PM in terms of retail and you will need to drive to buy anything. However the neighbors tend to stick together and have a pretty close community.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:49 PM

361 posts, read 546,555 times
Moving from The Bank to the Findlay Market area will be a drastic change. A friend of mine lives on Findlay street. He likes the area okay, but his main complaint is the lack of amenities within walking distance. My main complaint would be the isolated feel of the immediate area. People live in the area, but there is certainly a noticable presence of vacant properties.

Parking may be a problem, and not because there are too many cars in the area. It's just the opposite actually. Depending on where you park, your car could be only one of a few cars parked on a particular street, dramatically increasing your chances of a break-in. Your car will probably be okay parked in the area during the day for only a few hours, but if you were to sign a one year lease, having your car parked there day and night, your chances of having your car broken into with that year will be fairly high IMO.

As RC said, the Findlay area is a different animal at night. You will certainly see vagrants/prostitutes/pandhandlers roaming the streets at night. I consider myself to have a lot more "street smarts" than the average person, so the area doesn't intimidate me, but I can also understand why someone would be intimidated by the area.

During the summer, it seems to get fairly loud around there at night. I've been down there a few times at my friends place, and it's not uncommon to hear someone arguing outside, clunkers with no muffler puttering down the street, or even the occassional gun shot.

I'm not trying to influence your decision one way or another, I'm just giving you the reality you will most likely face living there. On a positive note, it may look daunting around there, but I have found most of the residents to be really cool, and many of them enjoy and are very accepting of the changes they see in the area.

It's hard for me to imagine a person living in The Banks being attracted to living in the Findlay Market area. The two would appear to attract two completely different types of residents. The Banks seems to appeal to the yuppie or suburban type person that wants the pseudo urban/ semi-suburban experience, while the Findlay Area is definitely for the "urban pioneer." With that being said, if you're not the type to be easily spoked, and you have fairly "thick skin," I'd say go for it.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:52 PM

Y'all have given me some fantastic input...I'm still on the fence but that helps out a ton. Yes, I'm a Banks guy, but I've lived elsewhere downtown before and have worked and socialized downtown for 10 years. Just got excited by the Banks hype and moved in but don't like the isolation from the rest of downtown/OTR and it's really not that walk-able.

I love the thought of "urban pioneering", but my biggest hang-up is really the lack of walk-ability. No reason to live in an urban setting IMHO, and beyond Findlay, I'd likely be in the car to go almost anywhere else.

Thanks for the input...leaning towards "southern OTR". Would still love to hear if anyone else has personal experience.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:58 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,365,633 times
Quote:
Y'all have given me some fantastic input...I'm still on the fence but that helps out a ton. Yes, I'm a Banks guy, but I've lived elsewhere downtown before and have worked and socialized downtown for 10 years. Just got excited by the Banks hype and moved in but don't like the isolation from the rest of downtown/OTR and it's really not that walk-able.

I love the thought of "urban pioneering", but my biggest hang-up is really the lack of walk-ability. No reason to live in an urban setting IMHO, and beyond Findlay, I'd likely be in the car to go almost anywhere else.

Thanks for the input...leaning towards "southern OTR". Would still love to hear if anyone else has personal experience.
Hey, help this person out. States they have worked and socialized downtown for 10 years. Also states have lived elsewhere downtown but not for how long. Seems to be someone desiring the downtown living experience, but not satisfied with the Banks. All of you advocating the urban scene should be capable of coming up with suggestions. Is Findlay Market the area or not?

His last request was for people having experience with the southern OTR to help, to which there are no responses. What is the problem? Do you feel he is not sincere or just too naive to bother with?

Old 01-06-2012, 04:57 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,780 times
Quote:
No matter where you live in OTR, it's some form of urban pioneering. The further north you get, generally, the more pioneering it is, unless you are taling about Pendleton/Prospect Hill where it gets better again.

My wife works on Main Street, in the heart of what used to be the Main Street Entertainment District, and they put up with a fair amount of poor behavior. Usually, it's someone taking a leak on the door, or a dump on the sidewalk in front of the gate. From time to time, coworkers have had catalytic converters stolen from cars, and once in a great while someone is accosted. They've had shootings within steps of the office, but the good news is that they are assassination attempts against a rival gang or drug dealer, not random acts. But, you sort of get used to it.

Further west, a very good friend of mine lives on Jackson, just north of Central and half a block off the "good" part of Vine near the Senate, Lackmann's, a Tivola and all the other positive activity going on in the Gateway District. He was half asleep Monday night, when about 1:00 AM a gun battle erupted right outside his building. He said there were so many shots, he couldn't exactly count them, but he could also hear the bullets whizzing and careening off the buildings. Now, he's heard gun shots before, but never right outside his building...it's all nicely renovated lofts and offices around there. He's not ready to throw in the towel, however. But, it did remind him that you have to know your surroundings, even if you are a few blocks away from the sketchier areas.

I don't relate either one of these stories to discourage you or anyone from living downtown...quite the contrary. I think the only way to win downtown back from the thugs is to do it economically and eliminate the base of operations. But the reality is that downtown and OTR are in a transition, and it takes some determined, thick-skinned people to get in ahead of the crowd and pave the way for more the more easily intimidated. If you think you have the metal to live there, do it. Many do and love it...more and more each day, in fact, which lessens the likelihood that any of the above would happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati