Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 08:23 PM

307 posts, read 543,688 times

Advertisements

20% is average from my understanding for the CBD. It sounds bad until you realize Nky has 31%, the westside 37% and blue ash, which is likely seen as very sucessful in this game is at 16%.

This is all first quarter 2012, the most current I could find online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 08:32 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
20% is average from my understanding for the CBD. It sounds bad until you realize Nky has 31%, the westside 37% and blue ash, which is likely seen as very sucessful in this game is at 16%.

The CBD has also seen a ton come online recently (e.g. Great American Tower), and more is in the works (notably dunnhumby). The reality of the matter is the lower-end (i.e. older) office space is not all that desirable, and it's cheaper to convert to residential than to upgrade to high-end office. Which is not really a bad thing, because it means the insatiable demand for residential units downtown can be fed regularly and in large doses.

Not that it wouldn't be great to have an insatiable desire for office space to match the desire for residential, but there's nothing doom-and-gloomy about it at all. Unless your motive is to hype up Mason or somewhere that doesn't (yet) have old office buildings falling out of favor in the business community. Even if there were an insatiable desire for new office space, that would still manifest itself in older office buildings converting to residential and newer office buildings sprouting up on surface lots (and filling that office spot at the Banks). This is supported by the way current demand for office space, while maybe not at break-neck speed, does manifest as new construction.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:15 AM

865 posts, read 1,472,346 times
Well, we've broken the $7 billion milestone!

The 580 building residential conversion and the Nippert Stadium expansion puts us at $7,002,180,032 in new development completed after 2010, currently under construction, and planned. That includes 449 condos and 5,275 apartments. These numbers don't include the proposed tower at Fountain Place, Ingalls building renovation, or Terrace Plaza renovation.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:40 AM

133 posts, read 205,019 times
There is a high chance I'll move into that 580 building when it's completed.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:27 AM

4,481 posts, read 6,235,098 times
Good for CPS!

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...nclick_check=1

Old 02-06-2013, 07:47 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Sounds great until I read such as the following:

The school-based health centers eventually become self-sustaining because they have enough patients that federal Medicaid reimbursements fund staff salaries.

As long as this is the objective, they are federal government funded projects. See the fact we have to continually raise the national debt ceiling. This is the reason.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:56 AM

4,481 posts, read 6,235,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Sounds great until I read such as the following:

The school-based health centers eventually become self-sustaining because they have enough patients that federal Medicaid reimbursements fund staff salaries.

As long as this is the objective, they are federal government funded projects. See the fact we have to continually raise the national debt ceiling. This is the reason.
Brill - no matter what you say to minimize something effective, positive, and worthy of emulation on a nationwide scale, CPS has taken measurable strides in helping the needy who have no choice but to depend on Medicaid by turning schools into community centers and providing needed services to those without. And somehow this is a bad thing? CPS is having a positive effect nationwide and Oyler is noted in the article as being ground zero.

And that has nothing to do with the debt ceiling, so save the political topics where they can be discussed and appreciated:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

Old 02-06-2013, 08:05 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Quote:

Is the figure of 31% for the office vacancy rate in NKY for Class A space only or all forms of office and industrial space? That is a very high figure no matter how you slice the pie.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:21 AM

307 posts, read 543,688 times
Not looking at the report currently but I believe it's all classes of office space, but not industrial. I'd imagine the loss of omnicare and Nielsen from Covington are a big part of this.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:25 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Quote:
Not looking at the report currently but I believe it's all classes of office space, but not industrial. I'd imagine the loss of omnicare and Nielsen from Covington are a big part of this.
That means the vacancies may be isolated to just a few large buildings that would contribute to the high rate and not a plethora of vacant smaller buildings with empty store fronts. The last couple of times I was in Covington I noted the downtown area was in better shape than a decade ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati