Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 08:09 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
You are correct in your assessment. By law, ED is only supposed to be used for public works projects such as schools, bridges, street widening, new highways etc. and NOT for private use development.
Thank heaven. Not that a little old thing like an Ohio Supreme Court ruling would stop some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 08:16 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Thank heaven. Not that a little old thing like an Ohio Supreme Court ruling would stop some people.
I remember hearing about the Norwood case several years ago. It was overshadowed by the following which was a much larger, high profile case. Half million dollar homes, some of them historic, were targeted by a large pharmaceutical company that wanted to expand its operations in the area.

Kelo v. City of New London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is very confusing how anyone in his right mind could interpret this law to see fit to allow private use development for Eminent Domain. Talk about twisted logic.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:34 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
The Norwood case was nothing short of a crime on the city's part, financially backed by Jeff Anderson. No conflict of interest there, eh?

The city declared the entire neighborhood "blighted" because the neighborhood exhibited a "diversity of ownership" (whatever that is), because the houses had only one bathroom, because some sidewalks were cracked, because the neighborhood was "locked in" by I-71, etc. -- when in reality it was a lovely little pocket of older, working-class homes, most of which were well taken care of.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:18 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Corporate bullies 1, nonprofit 0.

Wonder what they'll try to buy next? The Taft museum and the Academy of Medicine are old and in the way; let's knock 'em down!

What do you bet John Barrett gets a fat bonus at the end of the year?

What's most important is that this benefits the women that live at the Anna Louise Inn, but nobody cares about that. Out of sight, out of mind.
I wish I could be bullied into receiving $4 million.

Seriously, this deal seems like the cliche "win-win" for all parties involved - ALI and its residents, W&S, downtown and the city. ALI gets a new facility and rids itself of the headache of trying to maintain a historic property in severe need of repair, and W&S can commence its plans to redevelop that quiet and lightly used corner of downtown. That area has potential to bring in a lot more revenue for the city than what it currently does.

Hopefully this also revives talks of the long-rumored new W&S tower in that part of downtown. That hideous spinning clock garage would be a nice site for something tall.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:02 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post

Seriously, this deal seems like the cliche "win-win" for all parties involved - ALI and its residents, W&S, downtown and the city. ALI gets a new facility and rids itself of the headache of trying to maintain a historic property in severe need of repair, and W&S can commence its plans to redevelop that quiet and lightly used corner of downtown. That area has potential to bring in a lot more revenue for the city than what it currently does.

Hopefully this also revives talks of the long-rumored new W&S tower in that part of downtown. That hideous spinning clock garage would be a nice site for something tall.
You've taken the words right out of my mouth, abr7rmj. Now the long-contested "game ball" is in W&S's court, and I think that we can expect them to develop that prime southeastern corner of Cincy's CBD into something much more than it once was. (And I don't believe that your expectation of that long-awaited W&S tower is misplaced.)

Old 05-14-2013, 01:37 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
You've taken the words right out of my mouth, abr7rmj. Now the long-contested "game ball" is in W&S's court, and I think that we can expect them to develop that prime southeastern corner of Cincy's CBD into something much more than it once was. (And I don't believe that your expectation of that long-awaited W&S tower is misplaced.)
i'm not sure if this was good or bad for union bethel (probably good), but lets not kid ourselves and think that a lame "luxury" business hotel is anything other than a lame business hotel.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:17 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,053 times
Here's an update on the Bartlett Building:

More details revealed for Bartlett Building hotel conversion - Business Courier

Holtman's is opening a doughnut shop on Vine in OTR. If you haven't had one, they are pretty darn good.

New doughnut shop coming to Over-the-Rhine - Business Courier

Old 05-15-2013, 12:58 PM

865 posts, read 1,471,842 times
The view from dunnhumby's bottom floor
Quote:
DunnhumbyUSA has hit bottom.
Construction of the market research company’s new building at Fifth and Race, dunnhumby Centre, has mainly consisted of scooping out tons of dirt since the January groundbreaking. It’s been hauled to other project sites or sold as it’s removed.
But workers have now reached their destination, 40 feet below street level. They could start pouring concrete in two to three weeks, dunnhumbyUSA CEO Stuart Aitken said Tuesday at a lunch of the Cincinnati chapter of Commercial Real Estate Women.
Source: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...s-bottom-floor

John Barrett toughed out Anna Louise fight
Quote:
For nearly three years, it’s been hard to hear the name Western & Southern Financial Group without thinking about its efforts to acquire the Anna Louise Inn.
W&S is now dusting off plans to transform southeast Downtown after riding out what it knew would be a PR challenge. The Anna Louise Inn currently offers living space for about 75 low-income women; W&S earned $280.6 million in 2011 on $2.9 billion of revenue and was viewed by critics as something of a bully.
Preliminary plans include up to seven new restaurants, a new garage with housing on top and a new headquarters building. Barrett said turning the Anna Louise Inn into an upscale hotel, along with a revitalized Lytle Park, is critical to maximizing those other assets.
Source: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...ht-from-memory

Old 05-15-2013, 01:25 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
John Barrett toughed out Anna Louise fight

Barf

He didn't "tough out" a fight. He CAUSED a fight.

I don't know why we treat these guys like heroes. Ridiculous.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:30 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
The view from dunnhumby's bottom floor

Source: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...s-bottom-floor

[/url]
Yet, amazingly enough, we still haven't seen any renderings of what this building will look like. What in the world is the hold up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati