Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 11:45 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Downtown - maybe. But the City as a whole - NO. It is still in decline. Those 1,112 apartments - what is the average occupany - less than 2? 2,000 people in the City is peanuts compared to what has been lost.
As if on cue, along comes Debby Downer to throw a wet blanket over things. Unreal.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/19280

Last edited by abr7rmj; 06-11-2013 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 12:59 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
As if on cue, along comes Debby Downer to throw a wet blanket over things. Unreal.

Watch Saturday Night Live: Debbie Downer: Birthday Party online | Free | Hulu
\\

And just one cue here you come with your pie-in-thre-sky outlook. So why should we accept one view over the other? I have not seen much to convince me one way or the other.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:13 PM

4,481 posts, read 6,235,098 times
Quote:
I have not seen much to convince me one way or the other.
What do you actually see from Mason?

Old 06-11-2013, 01:16 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
Downtown - maybe. But the City as a whole - NO. It is still in decline. Those 1,112 apartments - what is the average occupany - less than 2? 2,000 people in the City is peanuts compared to what has been lost.
So what do you propose? Not even bothering? This post makes no sense at all. You have to start somewhere in a recovery, and I think 2000 extra people in an urban area is great news.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:17 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
So cite me any statistics which indicate the west side neighborhoods are not losing population. Far as I know they are still part of the City of Cincinnati. Same goes for the central neighborhoods. I have seen anything to indicate the overall population of Cincinnati is not still decreasing, regardless of the positive things happening downtown. If I really felt a need to I believe I could reinforce my position. But since it was been a constant decline for the last 50 years, I don't feel compelled to defend my position - just same ole same ole.

We can tangle all we want, that is superfluous. But so is the position Cincy has everything together which they do not.
Which neighborhoods do you want to know about? I could pull the numbers if you're really interested in knowing instead of making a grandstanding point.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I could pull the numbers if you're really interested in knowing instead of making a grandstanding point.
He's not interested at all. No matter what, he will move the goal posts again, and make another grandstanding point. I've provided numerous articles, quotes, links, and I doubt he has actually read any of them. Either way he just comes from another unsubstantiated angle.

Anyway, I'm moving on because we are in the process of destroying the development thread.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:07 PM

4EG opening a new bar concept at U Square - Business Courier

Old 06-11-2013, 03:24 PM

https://www.facebook.com/ThePortOTR?...age_fan_invite

Old 06-11-2013, 09:45 PM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
This article is dated, but relevant. There are more than enough people to justify a grocery store already living downtown (including OTR/Pendleton). Personally, I do most of my shopping at Findlay Market, but would love a decent, full service grocery store downtown.

Thousands of new residents now calling downtown Cincinnati home — UrbanCincy
A supermarket opened in downtown Hartford a couple of years ago but didn't survive. Currently only about 3,000 people live there and clearly that was not enough to support it, even with the influx of tens of thousands of office workers every day. The city envisions having around 10,000 people living downtown in order to be able to sustain a healthy retail environment, including a grocery store and support services.

It appears that Cincinnati now has a healthy base of residents in the downtown area that should be able to support a supermarket of modest size provided that the prices are competitive. Now that the population is going to approach 13 to 15,000 people in the next few years I think we'll see a number of new retailers and obviously more restaurants opening up to cater to the new influx of residents.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:24 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post

...It appears that Cincinnati now has a healthy base of residents in the downtown area that should be able to support a supermarket of modest size provided that the prices are competitive. Now that the population is going to approach 13 to 15,000 people in the next few years I think we'll see a number of new retailers and obviously more restaurants opening up to cater to the new influx of residents.
^ You'll be pleased to know that Cincinnati's 2012 downtown population (ie, CBD/OTR/Pendleton) reached close to 13,500. However, controversy suggests that this new supermarket needs to be much larger than planned.

ISSUU - 2012 State of Downtown by Downtown Cincinnati
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati