U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-04-2012, 07:55 AM

2,113 posts, read 1,598,130 times

Advertisements

^ Great to hear about your combined interest in the city's core, especially OTR. Expect to hear from a variety of informed Cincinnatians on this matter very soon--and good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 08:35 AM

4,007 posts, read 2,660,957 times
Cool to have our riverfront redevelopment place us on a corny list by MSNBC. The exposure is awesome!

Itineraries - The 11 greatest riverfront towns

Old 06-04-2012, 08:51 AM

2,113 posts, read 1,598,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Cool to have our riverfront redevelopment place us on a corny list by MSNBC. The exposure is awesome!

Itineraries - The 11 greatest riverfront towns
Nothing corny about being one of America's great riverfront cities--Cincinnati and its Ohio River are one! (BTW, the river gives the city a great "front yard.")

Old 06-04-2012, 10:29 AM

4,007 posts, read 2,660,957 times
Kudos to Daniel Wright, Senate and Abigail Street!

Wright On a Roll

Old 06-04-2012, 10:52 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,145,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
The W is a fine hotel, but we already have a Starwood property in town (the Westin). IMO, downtown needs a full fledged Marriott----the quintessential business man's hotel. With a Marriott, we'll have a flagship hotel from each of the three chains: Hilton, Starwood, and Marriott. The only thing hurting our chances for a downtown Marriott is there's already one in Covington and Clifton.

Having said that, if we don't get a Marriott, then a W Hotel would probably be my second pick. Starwood chain has a great reputuation among serious business travelers.
Downtown doesn't have a full-fledged Marriott but it does have the new Residence Inn by Marriott on East Fourth Street.

Downtown Cincinnati Hotels | Residence Inn Downtown Cincinnati

And while we're talking downtown hotels, it's important to remember that The Banks space directly north of Moerlein Lager House has been slated for a hotel. I know the developers are in discussions to bring one there. That is an extremely high profile/high traffic location that could be attractive to a W or an Aloft. I doubt Marriott would build there in full view of their Embassy Suites across the river or just blocks from their Residence Inn.

The Terrace building is so big that it would be nothing short of a major coup to get a national hotel chain in there. It was originally slated for upscale condos but those plans, like many others, were scuttled by the recession and housing crash.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:06 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,145,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marciev23 View Post
I was reading through the thread and saw this... My husband and I came down from Michigan a few weeks ago with plans to buy the Metal Blast building. He's a metal sculptor and I'm a dance instructor, so it would have been perfect for his workspace and mine- we wanted to use it for studio spaces, art gallery, artist loft rentals, etc.

We saw the interior (I only saw the first floor, my husband saw the rest), but unfortunately we *really* underestimated the money it would take to fix it up. We got a quote to fix the roof, that alone costs more than the purchase price.

It's a gorgeous building, we're absolutely heartsick that we couldn't really afford to renovate it. I really hope someone can buy it and do it justice. We love the OTR neighborhood, though, and are looking for a more reasonable space near Findlay Market. Any leads would be really helpful.
The Metal Blast building is a former brewery, I think. Aren't there a network of tunnels leading from it to Findlay Market? It's potential is almost limitless. We just can't/don't build buildings like that in America anymore.

Good luck on your search for a building in OTR. There really is no shortage of options for you to choose from, and almost all would be touched in some way by the incredible amount of redevelopment and reinvestment going on there now. Anything along Race and Elm is going to have the streetcar line right outside the front door, not to mention proximity to Findlay Market and Washington Park.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:07 PM

603 posts, read 443,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
IMO, downtown needs a full fledged Marriott----the quintessential business man's hotel. With a Marriott, we'll have a flagship hotel from each of the three chains: Hilton, Starwood, and Marriott. The only thing hurting our chances for a downtown Marriott is there's already one in Covington and Clifton.
They won't put a Marriott downtown when they already have the Marriott Rivercenter in Covington. The only way they could put another Marriott brand downtown and avoid a franchise agreement court fight is to put in something like a Renaissance, and even then I think it would cause a court fight.

IMO, the thing that most hurts the downtown hotel market is the Millennium and its bajillion rooms.

Last edited by stephen431; 06-04-2012 at 03:30 PM..

Old 06-04-2012, 03:27 PM

854 posts, read 725,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marciev23 View Post
I was reading through the thread and saw this... My husband and I came down from Michigan a few weeks ago with plans to buy the Metal Blast building. He's a metal sculptor and I'm a dance instructor, so it would have been perfect for his workspace and mine- we wanted to use it for studio spaces, art gallery, artist loft rentals, etc.

We saw the interior (I only saw the first floor, my husband saw the rest), but unfortunately we *really* underestimated the money it would take to fix it up. We got a quote to fix the roof, that alone costs more than the purchase price.

It's a gorgeous building, we're absolutely heartsick that we couldn't really afford to renovate it. I really hope someone can buy it and do it justice. We love the OTR neighborhood, though, and are looking for a more reasonable space near Findlay Market. Any leads would be really helpful.
Well shoot, too bad it didn't work out! Getting that building restored and used again would do wonders for the neighborhood.

How much space are you looking for? I am going to ask the guys over on the UrbanOhio forum for some suggestions for buildings to look at, and will let you know. Many are residents of OTR, so they would be extremely helpful.

I love your idea though. Hopefully we can all put our heads together and make it happen!!!

Old 06-04-2012, 03:30 PM

3 posts, read 1,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
The Metal Blast building is a former brewery, I think. Aren't there a network of tunnels leading from it to Findlay Market? It's potential is almost limitless. We just can't/don't build buildings like that in America anymore.

Good luck on your search for a building in OTR. There really is no shortage of options for you to choose from, and almost all would be touched in some way by the incredible amount of redevelopment and reinvestment going on there now. Anything along Race and Elm is going to have the streetcar line right outside the front door, not to mention proximity to Findlay Market and Washington Park.
It is a former brewery, it used to be the Jackson Brewery. We spent loads of time talking to someone involved in the OTR Brewery District planning while we were there.

There are two levels of tunnels underneath, I went down as far as the first level, my husband saw both. They don't go very far, just under the property, but they are really amazing. I know there are tours that go into the tunnels, very worth checking out if you're able to go!

Old 06-04-2012, 03:48 PM

3 posts, read 1,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
Well shoot, too bad it didn't work out! Getting that building restored and used again would do wonders for the neighborhood.

How much space are you looking for? I am going to ask the guys over on the UrbanOhio forum for some suggestions for buildings to look at, and will let you know. Many are residents of OTR, so they would be extremely helpful.

I love your idea though. Hopefully we can all put our heads together and make it happen!!!
We're looking for a live/work space. My husband is a metal sculptor and basically needs a small industrial metal shop. We also need to be able to have semi truck access, since he ships and gets deliveries. A loading dock would be really great.

I'd love to have a dance studio and to be able to rent it out to other teachers/yoga/Zumba/etc. This isn't 100% necessary though, I could always rent space somewhere else. Another possibility is having space for a small art gallery.

We're very committed to trying to bring in at least a few jobs and contribute to the local economy.

Our children are grown and out of the house, so we don't need to worry about schools or colleges. We're very aware of the current state of the neighborhood and the crime.

We've talked to a few of the people in charge of Findlay Market and they're on the lookout as well. Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati