Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 04:01 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times

Advertisements

Extrapolate these billions of dollars of investment in Cincinnati, but we cannot conquer the bed bug issue? Something is a little whack out of proportion in my view. Either the people identifying the bed bug problem are blowing it totally out of proportion or those investing in the growth of the City don't give a damn. An interesting contradiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 05:01 PM

865 posts, read 1,471,842 times
Well, I'm sure if the developers of these properties thought that their brand new buildings would be infested by bed bugs immediately upon completion they would do something about it. Otherwise, why would they invest in bed bug extermination for the entire city? It's not their responsibilty to do so, and they would never recoup their money.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:51 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
Well, I'm sure if the developers of these properties thought that their brand new buildings would be infested by bed bugs immediately upon completion they would do something about it. Otherwise, why would they invest in bed bug extermination for the entire city? It's not their responsibilty to do so, and they would never recoup their money.
Now where did you extrapolate I intimated the developers should be paying to exterminate the beg bugs out of Cincinnati? But I will indicate some of the money spent by the City for the developers would be better off spent on the bed bug problem. A recent post commented on a $1.8 million dollar City subsidy of a new development. I venture that could exterminate a lot of bed bugs and relieve a number of people of some severe hardship.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:43 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
From CUFNA:

http://www.cufna.org/Newsletter6_12.pdf

Last I heard they were going to remake it into a boutique hotel? Anyone heard different? I hope they restore the twin steeples that caught fire from a lighting strike.
This is one project I'm particularly excited about. That church building is in dire need of some attention and I can't wait to see work begin.

I'm all for an Uptown vs. Downtown development battle! Win-win-win

Old 06-15-2012, 02:58 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
^ Yes, the renovation of this beloved building is one to watch! The project might also serve as a "bellwether development" for the entire Uptown area, in that its success may become the impetus for other innovative developments (especially if "a streetcar runs through it"). BTW, the re-capping of Old St. George's steeples can't come soon enough--the structure looks absolutely naked and hideous without them--and, let's face it: if, in the aftermath of WW II, European cities could reconstruct so much of what was lost, why couldn't such be completed atop one of Cincinnati's most visible and cherished landmarks?

Old 06-15-2012, 05:43 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
^^ Especially a landmark that stands at the gateway into CUF.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:23 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,639 times
HUGE development news coming today with word that the new DunnhumbyUSA building will include up to a 30-story residential tower complete with hundreds of new units on the vacant Fifth and Race site! This is exactly what the western side of downtown needs, and the tower (and dunnhumbyUSA's name in giant letters, no doubt) will be fully visible from Fountain Square. The city's skyline is about to change in a major way for the second time in the last three years.

Fifth and Race project envisioned as newest skyline jewel | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...ecommends.html

Last edited by abr7rmj; 06-15-2012 at 09:39 AM..

Old 06-15-2012, 10:07 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
^^ SCHWEET! And I be all the apartments go quickly. I have yet to hear of new housing downtown or in OTR not going like hotcakes.

Case in point:

Building Cincinnati: North Rhine Heights open for business in OTR

Quote:
According to Model Group CEO Steve Smith, there's already a waiting list to move in. Residents will begin moving into the completed units by July 1, and additional phases are scheduled for completion by the end of the year.
And this is for affordable housing north of Liberty.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:02 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
HUGE development news coming today with word that the new DunnhumbyUSA building will include up to a 30-story residential tower complete with hundreds of new units on the vacant Fifth and Race site! This is exactly what the western side of downtown needs, and the tower (and dunnhumbyUSA's name in giant letters, no doubt) will be fully visible from Fountain Square. The city's skyline is about to change in a major way for the second time in the last three years.

Fifth and Race project envisioned as newest skyline jewel | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

New DunnhumbyUSA HQ gets nod from city planning commission - Business Courier
Most certainly great news! (considering what was originally announced) May DunnhumbyUSA reign forever! Now, if Harry Potter could just: (1) convince Kroger to erect a "chart topper" in replacement of their unimpressive headquarters; (2) transform the 7th & Sycamore parking lot into a highly visible "showstopper; and (3) complete the anticipated east CBD Holiday Inn, there would be magic abounding. I'm still waiting.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:25 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
^^ SCHWEET! And I be all the apartments go quickly. I have yet to hear of new housing downtown or in OTR not going like hotcakes.

Case in point:

Building Cincinnati: North Rhine Heights open for business in OTR

And this is for affordable housing north of Liberty.
decent affordable housing always has a waiting list. it isn't an indication of the overall rent market and is really a non-story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati