Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2012, 04:40 AM

4 posts, read 7,870 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm Kim, I'm relatively new to the area. I've lived in an apartment in Covington for about a year, but my boyfriend and I are about to move into a single family home in Madisonville.

I used the search function and scanned the last 5 pages in the "Cincinnati" forum, and I found the pit bull ban thread, but it's huge and hard to wade through. Is the restriction definitely for "dangerous," or "vicious" dogs, instead of specific breeds?

I thought I'd ask to be totally sure: Are Huskies (what I have, a Sibe and ? mix. Her mother was allowed to free roam, so father unknown) or any breed (besides "pit bulls") illegal or restricted in Cincinnati?

Sorry if it's been asked a million times before, but I want to be very sure before I take my dog out of my grandma's care. It would break my heart to have to return her.

Thanks so much!

Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 08:12 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
I hope somebody has the information and posts an authoritative site with a clear explanation. Trying to do a search on the subject is very confusing. One of my pet peeves is having articles posted without even a date, so you can't tell if current or not. Between the changing Ohio law on so-called viscous dogs and the changing Cincinnati law it is difficult to make any sense. Then you run into things like the Ohio House voted to remove the pit bull from the designated viscous breed list. Then you realize you cannot find anything as to whether the bill ever got to the Ohio Senate and into law.

Just about everyone recognizes the contention pit bulls are a viscous breed. But the AKC does not even recognize a distinguishable pit bull breed. So how can you declare them viscous? Of course I recognize the AKC are a bunch of snobs, and likely cannot recognize a breed within their narrow guidelines.

Best I can determine, the outright ban on owning a pit bull is being dropped. But you have to register your dog with the Cincinnati Police (for a fee of course), and the dog must have an electronic identification tag plus a tattoo so it can be traced to you. Other breeds such as your Siberian Husky mix are simply classified as potentially dangerous dogs. Only if they threaten or appear aggressive toward either another dog or a person do you have to give evidence you will confine or otherwise restrict their movements.

There are only a few dog breeds which are considered to be the primordial breeds from which all the others are descended. The Siberian Husky, the Russian Samoyed, the Alaskan Husky, the Alaskan Malamute, and the Norwegian Elkhound are considered members of this original group.

Years ago we bought a Norwegian Elkhound, a male. He learned early on all he had to do was bare his teeth and growl and my wife went the other direction. We had him on a chain run in our backyard during the day. He was sneaky. Some of our neighbors let their dogs run, as restrictions were not so tight back then. One had an Irish Setter, a very attractive dog, but apparently not too bright. He would come across the back yards and taunt the Elkhound who would feign being asleep. Once the Setter penetrated far enough, the Elkhound would explode and nip at its heels as it left our yard. He knew just when the chain was going to stop his run.

So one day I get a visit from the local police. We have a complaint you are harboring a viscious dog, and I have to investigate. So I reply OK officer let's go to the back and meet Viking (Norwegian right?). As we round the side of the house, Viking comes roaring to the end of his chain, is standing on his hind feet, a full mouth of teeth bared and acting like he wants to tear the cop to shreds. I can tell the cop is about to say whoa this is a viscous dog.

So I say, officer just hear me out. I travel a great deal of the time on business. I wanted this dog as a deterrent against home invasions when I am out of town. Do you agree he is a deterrent? Second of all, you are a stranger. If you have the nerve come forward as I tell him everything is OK. The cop came forward and was suddenbly being licked to death. So I also said to the officer, please go around and call on my immediate neighbors. Ask them if we are harboring a viscious dog. Our house is one of the focal points, with our large back yard, for the neighborhood kids to come and play with our 4 kids. They romp with this dog all the time.

And then, when you are done with your investigation, please go and inform the one who lodged the complaint they are the one breaking the law, because we have a law against dogs roaming free.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:07 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest57 View Post
Hi all, I'm Kim, I'm relatively new to the area. I've lived in an apartment in Covington for about a year, but my boyfriend and I are about to move into a single family home in Madisonville.

I used the search function and scanned the last 5 pages in the "Cincinnati" forum, and I found the pit bull ban thread, but it's huge and hard to wade through. Is the restriction definitely for "dangerous," or "vicious" dogs, instead of specific breeds?

I thought I'd ask to be totally sure: Are Huskies (what I have, a Sibe and ? mix. Her mother was allowed to free roam, so father unknown) or any breed (besides "pit bulls") illegal or restricted in Cincinnati?

Sorry if it's been asked a million times before, but I want to be very sure before I take my dog out of my grandma's care. It would break my heart to have to return her.

Thanks so much!

Kim
The Cincinnati ordinances, etc. about dogs are at Municode Scroll down the menu at the left of the screen, go to Chapter VII, and section 701 is the part that applies to animals.

I'd probably scan through the whole thing about dogs if I was getting one, but here's the definition of a vicious dog, which doesn't sound like it applies to yours.

. 701-1-V. - Vicious Dog.
[LEFT]"Vicious dog" shall mean any dog which: [/LEFT]
(1)
without provocation, has inflicted severe injury on a person; or
(2)
has been trained for dog fighting or is kept primarily or in part for the purpose of dog fighting; or
(3)
is a dog commonly defined as a pit bull; or
(4)
has been used in the commission of a crime.

Best wishes on your move.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:50 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
The Cincinnati ordinances, etc. about dogs are at Municode Scroll down the menu at the left of the screen, go to Chapter VII, and section 701 is the part that applies to animals.

I'd probably scan through the whole thing about dogs if I was getting one, but here's the definition of a vicious dog, which doesn't sound like it applies to yours.

. 701-1-V. - Vicious Dog.
[LEFT]"Vicious dog" shall mean any dog which: [/LEFT]
(1)
without provocation, has inflicted severe injury on a person; or
(2)
has been trained for dog fighting or is kept primarily or in part for the purpose of dog fighting; or
(3)
is a dog commonly defined as a pit bull; or
(4)
has been used in the commission of a crime.

Best wishes on your move.
Thanks Sarah, it seems to be explicit enough. And from what I read, pit bulls are banned from Cincinnati except for those existing and grandfathered through registration at the time the ban was passed. I think the OPs husky mix should be OK.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:46 PM

Thanks, everyone. It *is* hard to find dated articles online, and confirmation of new laws.

The Municode link looks pretty clear, in that "pit bulls," unless grandfathered in, are the only ones banned. My girl is definitely not a vicious dog. :P

Thanks again!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:43 AM

Hey, don't want to start a new thread for this. Does anyone have a vet they would recommend around the area?

Old 01-17-2012, 11:16 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
tempest - what part of town are you in?

Old 01-17-2012, 03:15 PM

Madisonville.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:33 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,891 times
My wife and I love our vet Mark Applebaum at the Appletree Pet Clinic in Deer Park. He was recommended to me independantly by two family friends that are veterinarians themselves when they found out where I live. He loves animals of all kinds (he recently nursed a baby squirrel back to health) and my dog absolutely loves going for her checkups. It is a family business and the same familiar assistants always recognize us. Prices are very reasonable and the care is excellent. When my dog was spayed her stitches were done so well that she was back in action by the next day and you can barely see the scar. I could go on and on, but I will just say he gets my highest recommendation.

On the other hand my mother swears by her veterinarian at the Pleasant Ridge animal hospital. She has been going there for about five years now after hopping around other places for the previous five years not completely satisfied.

Both of these practices are just up Stewart Road from Madisonville, about 5-10 minutes away depending on traffic and location within Madisonville.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:16 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
we go to the pleasant ridge pet hospital as well. they have been great to us. wilson may also have a good recommendation, i seem to recall his knowing a couple of vets in the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati