Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 01:27 PM

13 posts, read 35,284 times

Advertisements

My family and I recently moved to this area a few months ago from HI and we are looking for some suggestions on interesting day trips. We have a 10yr old and an infant so we need something that is kid friendly. Any suggestions? We are prettymuch open to anything.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 03:43 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,343,947 times
Here, let me search that for you

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cinci...rip-ideas.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cinci...irl-scout.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cinci...incinnati.html

Old 01-20-2012, 06:03 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,746,753 times
When I lived in Cincinnati, I took a lot of day trips to get away from that place. Strange city. I moved away long after I had figured out it just wasn't for me.

Anyway, here are some ideas:
Louisville
Lexington
Yellow Springs
Athens, OH
Indianapolis
Columbus
Oxford, OH
Mammoth Cave
Red River Gorge
Marengo Cave/Hoosier National Forest
Hocking Hills

Cincinnati itself does have a lot of neighborhoods and parks if you even just want to explore a different part of the city.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:26 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,990,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post

Cincinnati itself does have a lot of neighborhoods and parks if you even just want to explore a different part of the city.
I believe that the above sentence would have been a sufficient report from a renowned disgruntled ex-resident... ()

Old 01-21-2012, 08:38 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,459,824 times
Entertrainment Junction at the Tylersville Road exit on 75 north of town. It took us nearly 4 hours to see everything with our 1 year old grandson last June. We would have stayed longer but it was way past his nap time. He was just so amazed watching everything.

EnterTRAINment Junction | Home of the World's Largest Indoor Train Display

Old 01-21-2012, 09:08 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,693,012 times
There are many state parks within an easy driving distance of Cincinnati, but they are mainly a summer outing. And with an infant you do not want to wear yourself out.

Try the various indoor venues closer.

The Museum Center has something for everyone. Go on their web site and look at the various offerings.

The Air Force Muesum at WPAFB in Dayton is also a good venue. The outdoor exhibits are best in the summer, but there is enough indoor to keep you occupied for a long time. You cannot do it justice in one visit, so try the indoor portion during the winter and the outoor next summer.

The Cincinnati Fire Museum downtown is another nice venue. I don't know a boy who doesn't enjoy a fire truck.

The Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden is definitely worth your interest. It is only the 2nd oldest zoo in the country, opened in 1875, just 14 months after the Philadelphia zoo. For contrast, you might want to visit the Indianapolis Zoo, the Columbus Zoo made famous by its director emeritus Jack Hana, and the Louisville Zoo. There are many famous zoos in the US, but we have some of the best around.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:27 AM

13 posts, read 35,284 times
Thanks everyone. Will be sure to look into the places mentioned.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:52 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,746,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
I believe that the above sentence would have been a sufficient report from a renowned disgruntled ex-resident... ()
Proof that the Cincinnati CDers can't stand any inkling of criticism about their city coming from a non-native.

That's why Cincy will be on the cusp of greatness but settling for mediocrity.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:47 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,870,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Proof that the Cincinnati CDers can't stand any inkling of criticism about their city coming from a non-native.

That's why Cincy will be on the cusp of greatness but settling for mediocrity.
I think they can handle criticism (at least some can maturely), but it was the way you presented yourself in you first post in this thread. There is criticism, and then there is just plain being kind of rude. I will agree with you on your views of Kentucky, it is the most backward uncomfortable place to be in most of the time, and trying to get into the "in crowd" is impossible if you're not a native. But if you hate Kentucky so much, move on and forget about it. That's what I would do. Don't give it the time of day.

On that note, what Cincinnati has been doing the last few years in the city is anything but mediocre.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:48 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,870,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgiles01 View Post
My family and I recently moved to this area a few months ago from HI and we are looking for some suggestions on interesting day trips. We have a 10yr old and an infant so we need something that is kid friendly. Any suggestions? We are prettymuch open to anything.

Thanks!
Certainly check out the state parks in SE Ohio, or head up to the shore along Lake Erie and visit the islands. Cleveland has a lot of great state parks and a national park nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati