U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 01:26 PM

213 posts, read 540,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
This isn't true at all. OSU fans are among the most loyal in sports. But while there is a ton of OSU football fans in Cincinnati, I don't think there are that many OSU basketball fans. We have too many other closer programs (UC, XU, MU, UD) that have our allegiances first.

And I agree with TomJones that Bengals fans are among the most loyal you'll find anywhere. The interest in the Bengals in this region is off the charts despite having relatively little to cheer for most years.
I'm talking about Greater Cincinnati OSU fans, not OSU fans as a whole. There is a clear difference and you pointed it out perfectly IMO. There aren't many OSU basketball fans here but there are OSU football fans? Why? Because they are front-runner / bandwagon riders and in basketball they have more local schools who have been successful that they can support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
And you know this how? You paid 2m for a study?
No I would never wasted 2 Mill on a study that you can easily manipulate to get the results you are looking for. It's an opinion based on my experience of how Cincinnnati sports fans in general tend to be. Nothing more.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Soccer routinely ends in 1-0 or 2-1 scores, and it's the most popular sport in the world.
Yes it absolutely is the most popular sport in the world but it doesn't mean that Cincinnati would support an MLS team. IMO, you have to look at it from the standpoint of Cincinnatians and not from the standpoint of if it works in other cities or smaller cities it would work here. Greater Cincinnatians are a unique bunch.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:45 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,522,344 times
Columbus has MLS and NHL. I think that's enough to make sure Cincinnati doesn't see those. Basketball is not impossible.

I am a football-baseball guy, so I don't really care.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:59 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,389,317 times
Quote:
Soccer routinely ends in 1-0 or 2-1 scores, and it's the most popular sport in the world.
Sure it is. And look for where the majority of the worldwide fans are from. What else do they have to root for? American football, baseball, and basketball are US derived sports. Why would other counties desire to follow the US, since they believe we are the world's bullies?

Europe is doing fairly well at basketball since ice hockey is about their only other indoor arena sport, well maybe gymnastics. Japan likes baseball.

I feel soccer overall is the successful sport worldwide since the youth developmental leagues are cheap to conduct. Take a field, put some lines on it, and put some people in shorts with a ball out there and you are in business.

My son played soccer for many years, beginning with the youth leagues. He was not a big kid, following his maternal grandfather and only growing to a fraction of my size. He was small and thin, but he was fast, and speed counts in soccer. He played well into his adult years in recreational soccer, also coaching youth soccer. But he went one time too far, doing a back flip and coming down very hard on his spine. He now has 3 lower spine discs which are a real mess. He has only had one operation thus far. He also has had a collarbone operation which gives him a lot of agony. He will hit the big 50 this year, and I think he is wondering whether the soccer injuries were worth it.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:29 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,307,011 times
I just heard a group from Cincinnati may try to buy the Clippers. They better have big buck because they still need an arena.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:37 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,466,634 times
Stupid to have 2 pro franchises in the same sport in the same city----so I'd love to see the Clippers leave----Seattle makes a lot of sense---NBA would be the big winner, too----get a franchise back to the city that claims the Sonics were stolen and further punish Mr. Sterling. That said, I'd love to see then in Cinti.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:09 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,544,376 times
I doubt that the NBA wants to see another team in a smaller eastern conference market. If they did, Cincy would have to roll out the red carpet with a $200+ million arena to make it happen. The primary reason the Sonics left Seattle is that Seattle wouldn't and OKC would. Would the taxpaying public of Hamilton County stand for that?

Old 04-30-2014, 05:19 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,389,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
I doubt that the NBA wants to see another team in a smaller eastern conference market. If they did, Cincy would have to roll out the red carpet with a $200+ million arena to make it happen. The primary reason the Sonics left Seattle is that Seattle wouldn't and OKC would. Would the taxpaying public of Hamilton County stand for that?
If they would, the tax paying public of Hamilton County could win the award for the second most stupid sports related decision in history. They already own the #1 most stupid decision with the Bengals and Reds stadiums. In fact, stop and consider, if they agreed to a stadium big enough to bring an NBA team back here, it might rise to the #1 position of the most stupid sports related decision in history.

I did enjoy the brief time the Cincinnati Royals played here after moving from Rochester. But when I look back it was a natural, at first they had the allstar Clyde Lovellete at center. Then they used territorial rights to claim Jack Twyman, Oscar Robertson, and Jerry Lucas, an allstar cast if there ever was one. And with big Maurice Stokes things were really looking up. I really enjoyed going to the games in the old Cincinnati Garden.

But Maurice's devastating illness put a damper on the whole thing. When they announced they were moving to where was it Kansas City?, I knew Cincinnati was not an NBA city. And it still is not. The KY Wildcats will outdraw them year after year, with the Louisille Cardinals and the Cincinnati Bearcats close behind. Then throw in the Xavier Musketeers and the Miami Ohio Redhawks into the mix. This is before you even get to the Ohio State Buckeyes or the smaller schools like the Dayton Flyers. Who needs an NBA team when we have so much good basketball in the area?

Anyone who wants to put an NBA team back into Cincinnati better have some deep pockets. And what is the incentive? The local college basketball is going to run you ragged.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:34 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,544,376 times
Xavier and UC I can see. Lexington, Louisville, and Columbus are far enough away to not have a major impact. OSU is about equidistant from Cleveland and Cincy. There is little, if any, impact on the Cavs attendence.

I don't see it as a matter of "need" so much as a matter of "want." Who really "needs" sports to begin with anyway? It would be an entertainment prospect that the city would have to get behind. My question: Does that will even exist in the magnitude it would need to (step 1: building an arena) in order to draw an NBA franchise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or