U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-12-2012, 03:08 PM

2,319 posts, read 2,094,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
...BTW, I thought it was hilarious that Carolyn Washburn, Enquirer VP and Editor, was named as one of the 20 Professional Women to Watch in 2012. What for? Standing proudly on the bridge of a sinking ship?
Haha. It gets better. Quoting from the photo caption on cincinnati.com: (italics mine), and keeping in mind the evisceration of the "comments" function:

Carolyn Washburn leads the region's largest news-gathering organization as it expands its print, digital and mobile reach, including introduction this fall of a new, more compact Enquirer. Her goal: More investigations, watchdog reports, storytelling, community leadership, reader engagement. Besides The Enquirer, Washburn oversees content of Cincinnati.com, 238 community web sites, a growing mobile business, a social network operation and 26 community newspapers
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 03:19 PM

306 posts, read 247,848 times
Sadly I never saw any anomoyous comments on the enquirer that measured up to the writing of Ben franklin. You can still go ahead and submit letters to the editor under a pseudonym, and if your looking to start a movent or enact real policy change you'll have to get out from anonymous comments soon enough.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:38 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,084,938 times
[quote=Sarah Perry;22952518]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
The reason the Enquirer gets these facts wrong is because the paper is no longer copy edited in Cincinnati by people who live here. It is edited in a regional Gannett office in Louisville by people who have never lived here and wouldn't know the difference between Roselawn and Hyde Park, let alone Roselawn and Bond Hill...quote]

Thanks for this clarification; it explains (although does not excuse) a lot.

Now, if you could just clarify for us why you think people should not be able to post under pseudonyms on cincinnati.com, when I must assume that your legal/actual name is not abr7rmj. What name do you post under there?
The juvenile, trollish tone of the comments had degraded in recent months to the point that it wasn't even worth reading anymore. At least half of the comments had to be deleted by staff for their inflammatory, overly political and, sadly, racist content. Therefore, the Enquirer fell in line with the majority of other newspaper/media Web sites and required Facebook identification. If people were civil and comments were kept on topic - like posters on this site usually - there wouldn't have been a need for the new rule.

If you'll recall, comments were at one time allowed on all online stories, including those involving shootings, murders, drug dealings, prostitution, etc. The Enquirer had to end comments entirely on those such stories because people were throwing out all sorts of hateful, racist comments directed toward entire segments of the population. It's easier to be an idiot when your anonymous under false names with zero chance that your poisonous words will come back and haunt you. It's a little bit harder to implicate an entire race and say things like "the thug had it coming" when your true name is associated with the comment.

Finally, I assume you know that the Enquirer's Facebook requirement wasn't my decision, thereby making any clarification from me irrelevant. The Enquirer's Editorial Board is the entity that questions and/or criticism should be directed toward.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 02-12-2012 at 04:49 PM..

Old 02-12-2012, 04:48 PM

25,396 posts, read 31,762,516 times
"Reader engagement" to the Enquirer means even more barhoppers will be able to submit pictures of the glamorous drunken selves.

The Enquirer has been abysmal for years; even long before the demise of the Post, it had a tough time finding City Hall or getting names straight. The reporters are so handcuffed and micromanaged it's downright sad.

As for the Facebook comments ... Make yourselves a second, anonymous Facebook account.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:01 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,015,188 times
When did the Cincinnati Post disappear?

Old 02-12-2012, 06:08 PM

8,705 posts, read 6,829,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Back in the dark ages sometime. Seriously long enough ago I cannot remember. My favorite before then was the Time-Star. Of course that was before TV operations like CNN preempted everything.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:15 PM

25,396 posts, read 31,762,516 times
It was the end of 2007, wasn't it?

Seems like forever ago.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:32 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,084,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Dec. 31, 2007

The two-newspaper cities are going the way of the dodo. Since the Post's folding left Cincinnati with just one paper, Denver lost the Rocky Mountain News, Seattle lost the Post-Intelligencer, Albuquerque lost the Tribune and Honolulu lost the Advertiser.

In Cincinnati's case, I would have much rather kept the Post and waved goodbye to the Enquirer.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:17 PM

4,075 posts, read 6,360,503 times
It's not like the Enquirer went into decline yesterday or even before the Post threw in the towel. Way way back in the '80s I ran into a fellow Cincinnatian at college in Massachusetts just after a school break had ended. He held a newly purchased copy of the Boston Globe: "At last I can read a real newspaper again! YES!!!"

Now banned from commenting on Enquirer content because I refuse to sell my privacy to Mr Zuckerberg, I see no improvement in what's there. The "keyboard Rambos" are still at it. And you can't tell me some of the names I'm seeing are those of the actual persons. Some money changed hands before that switch occurred. No way around it. Who among us is ready to identify themselves here, let alone in a forum with wider readership? The first and last names that do appear in C-D are pretty common and may or not be owned by the account holder. Not only is my real name not so common, I share it with my dad. But we don't share many opinions, let alone life experiences. Why have people (dis)agree with him when I'm the one who's doing the writing? And more importantly, even in the hallowed virtual halls of City-Data there are lurkers and known entities who would not act constructively toward somebody they disagreed with or decided to not like. There are very good reasons that I'm known as "goyguy" here and only by my first name in the job I do.

Knowing that the Enquirer is no longer copy edited in Cincinnati was definitely interesting to learn. Did y'all know that the same sort of thing goes on with your snail mail? Yup! My geographic nerdiness and my ability to decipher all but the worst handwriting served me well when I held down a gig at the main post office in Boston. For two years I moonlighted on a crew whose only job was to send letters, packages, etc with unreadable addressing, misspelled street names, missing/wrong ZIP codes etc to the correct sorting bin. Hundreds of people every day were none the wiser that that extra step had to be taken to get a certain piece of mail safely into their hands. It sounds like a tedious task but it was actually fun and worthwhile. Then the axe fell on us - operations were consolidated, with the work we and a few dozen others throughout the Northeast did all being folded into a single Albany NY location. By 2011 this same job was only being carried out in two places in the country. Does anybody think this has helped them receive a birthday card from Grandma or a package originating in Russia, or a letter directed to a street that a city has four of when there was no ZIP code, etc, faster?

Agreed - the increased emphasis on what used to be called the "society page" has gotten way past absurd. It's not only a symptom of the Enquirer's decline, it's a symptom of a city working overtime to make itself appear hip & happening. You don't see papers in New York, Chicago, and LA posting oversized color pics of Kens and Barbies out getting lushed at the latest place to be seen. They don't have to. As for all the rightward bias in material, we at least finally read the last of Frank Weikel. But there seems to be no end of op-ed's and letters to the editor from gun nuts and anti-choicers. That's to be expected in a place that harbors the likes of Winburn and Burress - the paper works with what they're sent. The only problem is that the end result is no more "fair and balanced" than Fox News.

One of my school chums was always a camera nut and is now the photo editor of the Enquirer (hey Tony!) I often wonder whether he likes his job any better now than when he started clicking shutters for them all those years ago. Chances are the answer is no.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:35 PM

465 posts, read 128,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
This board is a lot more civil than the juvenile rest-area bathroom wall that was the old Cincinnati.com.

I think it's been generally accepted by the majority of users there that the change has been for the better.
Not by me. I still write exactly what I think, but many of the others who used to post just don't or used more veiled terms. The interaction is much less realistic and informative about what cincinnatians really think that it was before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati