Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 12:01 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,447,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
The Downtowns are 50 miles apart, but not the metro's and inbetween's. There are some CSA's like Sacramento where a city in it's CSA is 100 miles away.
This is correct. The two downtowns are almost perfectly situated to maximize the impact of a combined metro. Centerville, for instance, is 11 miles south of Dayton, which puts it about 39 miles from downtown Cincinnati but much closer to some northern Cincinnati burbs. In fact, Centerville is closer to Mason than it is to, say, the northern Dayton suburbs of Vandalia or Englewood (Dayton airport area). The two metros now touch each other and overlap in many cases.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:13 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,994,294 times
^ Thanks, jmecklenborg, for steering this back to our Ohio cities, especially Cincinnati. Posters who wish to talk about Mexico City and sports need to start separate threads.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:21 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,702,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
We have the WWII generation to thank for the mediocrity of Cincinnati 1950-2000, and the central issue has been transportation. They were the ones who allowed the airport to be built in Kentucky instead of Warren or Butler Counties, who squandered our unfinished subway system, and who paved over our fabulous streetcar network. Any criticism is met with the hissing of a million elderly cobras.

If Cincinnati, Dayton, and Warren + Butler Counties formed a governing agency like a port authority, then we could raise the $5-10 billion necessary to undo what our grandparents did. Specifically, construct a new airport near the Lebanon prison and link it with downtown Dayton and downtown Cincinnati with a rapid transit line.
Yes, you should definitely undue what your grandparents and parents did. They only created the greatest county and economic engine in the history of the planet.

We need a combined Cincinnati/Dayton airport in Monroe like we need a hole in the head. Show us any study from a reputable organization as to why such an airport would generate more of an economic impact, regardless of the fact it would be a drain on the whole area for years to come.

A little thing like the Great Depression stopped the subway. I guess you would like to say it should have been avoided?

So just how would a combined Port Authority generate the necessary funds to undue the transportation mistakes you contemplate. Is that not just another name for taxes?

Old 03-08-2012, 12:45 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,823,685 times
The region is way behind. Albuquerque Santa Fe got their commuter rail up and running called the rail runner. The Cities are 63 miles apart. Columbus needs to do more to help our state or we are going to falling behind even more.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:56 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,994,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
This is correct. The two downtowns are almost perfectly situated to maximize the impact of a combined metro. Centerville, for instance, is 11 miles south of Dayton, which puts it about 39 miles from downtown Cincinnati but much closer to some northern Cincinnati burbs. In fact, Centerville is closer to Mason than it is to, say, the northern Dayton suburbs of Vandalia or Englewood (Dayton airport area). The two metros now touch each other and overlap in many cases.
Another example of the two cities growing closer together would have been the massive "San Mar Gale" residential development planned two miles north of Lebanon, but canceled in Feb.,2011 because of the recession. This development (approved in 2006/construction to begin in 2007) would have been built over a 30-yr. period on app. 3,400 acres and have included over 2,500 homes, none of them cheap. And if I'm not mistaken, a downsized project is underway; developments such as these making the two cities one.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:19 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,948,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I never had the opportunity to go to MC, not that I regret it. My most frequent visits to Mexico were to Torreon in Central Mexico, what I consider one of the truely Hell-Holes of the world. My reason for being there was several US companies established manufacturing plants for cheaper labor and I was there to install machinery they purchased from my company.

My first visit there I was booked by our local representative into what he said was the best hotel in town. I have no doubt it probably was. When I checked in, I noted the lobby was made out of quite ornate marbel. But in the corners were piles of dirt and debris. After being shown to my room, I realized there was no way to decipher the mess of the electrical switches. No labels to make any sense out of, a disarray of switches incomprehensible to interpret. The next morning I realized there was a terrible smell permeating the room.

After awhile I suddenly realized what was going on. When they built the hotel, there were no traps installed in the various drains to the sewer. So the sewer gases would just back up into the rooms, and leave you gagging.

I had my fill of Mexico and am sorry for the people who succeeded me when I retired as they are still going back.
I really hope you're not going to judge an entire country by Torreon.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
We have the WWII generation to thank for the mediocrity of Cincinnati 1950-2000, and the central issue has been transportation. They were the ones who allowed the airport to be built in Kentucky instead of Warren or Butler Counties, who squandered our unfinished subway system, and who paved over our fabulous streetcar network. Any criticism is met with the hissing of a million elderly cobras.

If Cincinnati, Dayton, and Warren + Butler Counties formed a governing agency like a port authority, then we could raise the $5-10 billion necessary to undo what our grandparents did. Specifically, construct a new airport near the Lebanon prison and link it with downtown Dayton and downtown Cincinnati with a rapid transit line.
I agree, the "urban renewal" generation nearly destroyed our cities.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
The region is way behind. Albuquerque Santa Fe got their commuter rail up and running called the rail runner. The Cities are 63 miles apart. Columbus needs to do more to help our state or we are going to falling behind even more.
State government won't even help Columbus get mass transit, so why would they support it anywhere else?

Old 03-08-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Another example of the two cities growing closer together would have been the massive "San Mar Gale" residential development planned two miles north of Lebanon, but canceled in Feb.,2011 because of the recession. This development (approved in 2006/construction to begin in 2007) would have been built over a 30-yr. period on app. 3,400 acres and have included over 2,500 homes, none of them cheap. And if I'm not mistaken, a downsized project is underway; developments such as these making the two cities one.
Why is the discussion of metro combination so focused on connected development? The Northeast corridor is a prime example of several metros connected by development that remain separate. If connected development was the only factor, NYC would've swallowed Philadelphia to Boston.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:48 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,823,685 times
Honestly who drives or takes a train from Boston to Philadelphia every day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati