Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 02:35 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
Well, if the drilldown was in fact more accurate than the 2010 census and the 2020 census is done correctly, then Cincy should post a pretty epic increase in population.
I wouldn't necessarily count on it, CinciFan--after all, look again at who will be doing the counting. Same old, same old, I'm afraid...

Old 04-07-2012, 03:07 PM

4,481 posts, read 6,235,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
I wouldn't necessarily count on it, CinciFan--after all, look again at who will be doing the counting. Same old, same old, I'm afraid...
Let's not forget though, when the census is not in Cincinnati's favor then it is infallible to some.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:08 PM

865 posts, read 1,472,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
People are just lazy to fill out the form. Im sure you will find the same thing happening in every metro in the USA. They Census should give an incentive to people who fill out the farm. Maybe an extra $250 tax deduction or $50 in cash.

With the technology we have today no way it should take 10 years to do a census. Most everyone on the grid has a way of being counted. Either by water or electricity bills. Vehicle registrations. IRS and State tax forms. There is a way, however getting all those entities working together is another story.
Good points. I definitely won't hold hold breath for a better result, but we shall see. They definitely need a better way to do it.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:01 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
No idea and no concern for them. I know what is happening downtown and in OTR is a long term solution and will take time to realize it's full potential. For a city that lost a lot of population over the last several decades to stabilize and begin to rebuild it's urban core, that city is on it's way to eventual growth and vibrancy. Of course that is hard to see from Columbus or Mexico City, though I see it everyday here in Cincy.

Let's not forget the drilldown either.

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/mayor/d...r_pdf16564.pdf
Perception doesn't equal reality, that's why I asked. I am honestly curious about how many people this boom represents. The 2010 Census showed growth in the urban cores of all the 3-Cs.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I'm just having fun. I would never admit this in a public forum, but any city in Ohio that is growing helps the state and I am alright with that since I live in Ohio.

Did I mention UC is on fast track growth?

But --- isn't OSU sort of matured?
Matured in what way? The campus continually is growing, as is the student population. For example, right at this moment there's about $2 billion in construction going on, with about as much planned in the next 5 years. The university is also spending money to help revitalize neighborhoods that surround it.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:08 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Matured in what way? The campus continually is growing, as is the student population. For example, right at this moment there's about $2 billion in construction going on, with about as much planned in the next 5 years. The university is also spending money to help revitalize neighborhoods that surround it.
Just how does a university revitalize neighborhoods which surround it? Does that mean they are purchasing property and constructing university owned student housing or what? I am a little at a loss as to how a university revitalizes adjacent neighborhoods unless they take ownershup of it.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
The New York City metro has almost twice that, and it only has two teams. Two others have left.

Only California has more than two teams. If Ohio had three teams, it would have more than New York, Florida, Texas and Pennsylvania. That's not very realistic. And if Marge did block Columbus' efforts to get a team, that's a very good thing for the Reds and Indians, as a big portion of their fan bases are from the 614. More likely, if Columbus had a team, all three would struggle mightily to gain their share of fans, especially Cbus since it wouldn't have any history or tradition behind it.

Should Cincinnati or Cleveland ever try to get an NHL team, I'm sure the Blue Jackets would similarly block those efforts.

Heck, Ohio State's basketball scheduling policy (where they won't play at UC, X or Dayton) effectively serves to block those schools in a way from claiming the "King in Ohio" crown.

It happens.
You're talking about one metro, not an entire state. NY state could definitely handle more than just the Yankees/Mets. And it's not that far way that there's a team in Philadelphia and another in Boston.

I don't think an MLB team in Columbus would do anything but promote more in-state rivalry. The idea that if Columbus had a team the others would suffer is interesting, though. Why don't they suffer in the very small area mentioned above? And let's be honest, Marge didn't give a crap about the Indians or how fans would react, she just didn't want to change the status quo.

OSU IS the king when it comes to college sports in Ohio. People may disagree with that, and there may be schools that are better at certain sports than OSU is, but overall, OSU is by far the dominant player in the state. It wouldn't matter if they played at UD or anywhere. I think OSU, like all schools, just wants to try to have home field advantage.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbus76 View Post
The only major league team Columbus will ever have is the NHL Blue Jackets (I don't count the Crew as MLS is not considered one of the "Big 4"). This state is tapped out when it comes to big league teams. The only remote possibility of adding another team is the NBA in Cincinnati, but I just don't see it with college basketball being so big with Xavier and UC -it would have to be a regional draw type of team and attract fans from Louisville, Lexington and Dayton.
Totally disagree. If the metro continues to grow at current rates, some expansion team becomes more and more likely. The sport, though, I have no idea.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
Well, if the drilldown was in fact more accurate than the 2010 census and the 2020 census is done correctly, then Cincy should post a pretty epic increase in population.
What you guys fail to mention is that if the US Census was wildly off and unreliable, you should see cities with population that fluctuate up or down each decade. Instead, there are almost always linear trends. So even if the actual number is not correct, the trend line should be. Unfortunately for Cincinnati, through 2010, that trend line was down.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:53 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Yes, blame Marge for C-Bus not having a major league baseball team.I suppose the Indians would have just been fine with that - you bet. The only way C-Bus is going to get a major league sport team (the NHL doesn't count), is of one of the other two cities teams move to C-Bus. How likely do you think that is going to happen? Talk about a small market town, C-Bus is about as small as you can get. Where is the draw from anything outside of the immediate area?

OSU cannot even think of not being the top dog in Ohio. They even brainwash their graduates who are in the pros to state THE Ohio State University as their alma mater. Just about as pitiful as THE University of Kentucky.

Of course both Lexington and C-Bus have something in common. Without their main state universities sports teams no one would give them a first or second thought. So we should let them both waddle around in their delusions of grandeur. Yes, I realize Lexington is distinctly smaller than C-Bus, but they both seem to come from the same mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati