Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 07:09 AM

6,295 posts, read 11,005,087 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that it comes down to this. Does the Dayton area intertwine socially, culturally and economically with the Cincinnati area? I've always thought of Dayton as a distinctly separate metro area from Cincinnati. Granted, I don't live in the area but I don't see how either metro area is tied to the other at this time. I think in another decade or two, if the growth in that corridor continues and the governments and industries in these regions start to work together to market the area as one, then yes, you could argue that they should be or are a single metropolitan entity.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:20 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,912,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
It seems to me that it comes down to this. Does the Dayton area intertwine socially, culturally and economically with the Cincinnati area? I've always thought of Dayton as a distinctly separate metro area from Cincinnati. Granted, I don't live in the area but I don't see how either metro area is tied to the other at this time. I think in another decade or two, if the growth in that corridor continues and the governments and industries in these regions start to work together to market the area as one, then yes, you could argue that they should be or are a single metropolitan entity.
Economically - yes
Socially - no
Culturally - no

People in Cincinnati, if they hear you are from Dayton, will track you down and say, "I heard you were from Dayton; don't you miss (eg) Marion's pizza?" - as though Dayton were on the other side of the world. Meanwhile, people in Dayton, when told you are from Cincinnati, may say, oh, I had an aunt that moved down there. We would visit sometimes when we were kids, she lived in (neighborhood name)

Old 03-09-2012, 09:02 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,493,455 times
Sigh. I hate it when I get sucked into these boards.

Yes - I'm going to give anedotes. Because you're just making war with each other using statistics, so statistics are respected here anyway.

I'm relatively new here (Its been almost 5 years - and still I say that) - and I have to say, I find it odd that Locals (Cincinnati locals and Dayton locals) cling so strongly to the areas they are from.

I have met and know many people who have never lived more than 10 miles from where they were raised.

Even so - I work in Westchester (part of Metro Cinci, correct?) - and about 25% of my coworkers live in Dayton and the Dayton metro (Beavercreek, Kettering, Centerville).

I live in Lebanon (a small city in its own right, being the Warren County Seat - but at this point - just another small town in the Cinci metroplex).

My chiropractor is in Springboro (okay - now that's Dayton South).

My dance lessons are in Dayton (actual Dayton, not 'burbs)

I was going to see Wicked in the Fall at the Aranoff, but missed it ... now I will see it in the Spring in Dayton.

I realize, I am an outlier - 'cause I'm not FROM here. But if you want to attract NEW jobs (from out of state, as original comments on this thread supposed) -- you're looking at people like me. Not 5th generation Daytonians afraid of OTR, or 7th generation Cincinnatians asking about some pizza joint..

You're looking at an educated mobile workforce - and we just don't see the huge gaps between the cities (culturally, apparently) that you local/natives do.

Of course, I also don't give a crap about what high school you went to - and how high school football does.

Seriously. Its not 1885. It does not take 3 days in the wagon with supplies and a gun (in case unfriendly indigenous peoples are encountered - or bears) to get from Cinci to Dayton.

And a lot of Cinci's metro development is in the NORTHERN suburbs. Liberty Twp., Mason, Lebanon, WestChester, etc.. its' not even 1/2 hour from here to I-675. I know - I drive it 2 days a week for dance lessons! And a lot of Dayton's development is in the Southern Burbs (Centerville, Springboro, Miami Township (Austin Blvd interchange))

Is there going to be a Toll booth across '75 so that once exchange over hits a critical mass - no one else will be allowed to go back and forth to keep the areas permanently separate??

Stop bickering (Cinci thinks Dayton sucks. Dayton thinks Cinci is smelly! Daytonites don't eat Goetta, Cincinnatians do) and figure out how to look like its 2012 instead of 1952.

Lastly - be happy that Ohio has several large metropolitan areas that are all succeeding/surviving/thriving in this state. Toledo, Cleveland, Cinci(Dayton), Columbus. 4 large metro areas. That's a GREAT thing. I'm sure they all have different things to offer (different types of employers, different geographical attributes) - and that makes Ohio stronger.

thanks for your patience with my interruption - please go back to discussing why one city's gain is always at the expense of another city and why the cities must compete (like children) for love/respect - because there is not enough to go around.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:25 AM

4,471 posts, read 6,179,359 times

Old 03-09-2012, 09:41 AM

477 posts, read 660,983 times
You know even though I grew up closer to Dayton, I still thought the whole high school clique mentality was stupid. Its part of the reason why I left the area, though I do hear in some Old Timey Chicago neighborhoods its similar (but at least here there are tons of transplants to soften it).

Quote:
Socially - no
Culturally - no
Culturally Dayton is so different than Cincinnati its not even funny, however, there still is a sizable Cincinnati influence on it. Local chains like Skyline, Greaters and UDF still have a sizable presence in Dayton that they don't have in further out cities (though UDF is pretty common in Columbus, but there is quite literally one Skyline in the whole city). I would state that Cincinnati has an influence but doesn't dominate the landscape.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:01 AM

4,471 posts, read 6,179,359 times
I am not too sure either Cincy or Dayton dominate the landscape when it comes to developments north and south of the two cities, respectively.

Culturally, Dayton is worlds apart from Cincy, but then again Cincy has it's own unique local culture that isn't really duplicated too many other places I have lived. My experiences with Dayton was the people in my neighborhood were very cliquish and they did not mind letting me and my family know in subtle ways that we were outsiders. Linden Heights. My neighborhood in Cincy has been a very good experience and neighbors are very friendly and inclusive in many ways. That's not to say there aren't areas in Cincy that aren't cliquish.

I can't say for the vast stretch of suburbia that lies in between. I have lived in the city of Dayton (east end) and now inner city Cincinnati (CUF.) I have rarely had reason to stop along 75 for too much of anything since I was either in Dayton most of my time, and now Downtown or my own hood. Really, I rarely leave these two areas in Cincy since most anything I need is right here.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:27 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,447,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Economically - yes
Socially - no
Culturally - no

People in Cincinnati, if they hear you are from Dayton, will track you down and say, "I heard you were from Dayton; don't you miss (eg) Marion's pizza?" - as though Dayton were on the other side of the world. Meanwhile, people in Dayton, when told you are from Cincinnati, may say, oh, I had an aunt that moved down there. We would visit sometimes when we were kids, she lived in (neighborhood name)
This is completely incorrect. I grew up in Dayton, went to high school in Dayton, worked at Kings Island for three summers while living in Dayton; moved away from Dayton at 21, returned briefly to Dayton after graduating from college, regularly visited Dayton while living for years out West, and regularly go to Dayton now from Cincinnati (2-3 times per week) as my parents still live there and I have UD basketball season tickets. I think I'm somewhat qualified to speak about Dayton.

I've never heard anyone say anything remotely as ridiculous as your "aunt" example. You make it sound like Dayton is where Toledo is. As I've said before on these boards, I have a cousin who lives in Centerville and works on Pfeifer Road in Blue Ash and has for the past seven years. One of my Centerville friends is a mailman in West Chester. I have a sister who lives in Miamisburg but takes my niece to Loveland several times a week to stay.

There are Larosa's in Dayton; there are too many Skylines and Gold Stars in Dayton to list; there are Graeter's in Dayton, and UDFs; there are Dewey's Pizzas in Dayton; there is Esther Price in Cincinnati, and Mike Sells; you can get Christian Moerlein, Rivertown and Mt. Carmel beers throughout the Miami Valley; they're building a Marion's in Mason; the Cincinnati Premium Outlets in Monroe are closer to Dayton than they are to Cincinnati; UD, UC, X and Miami have always been considered part of the "Mythical Miami Valley Conference" and UD and X have played each other more than any other opponent; half of Dayton airport's customers are from Cincinnati; WLW is among the highest rated radio stations in Dayton; the Reds Class A team plays in Dayton; walk into any bar in Dayton and you'll see mostly Reds and Bengals stuff on the walls; Cincinnati and Dayton are linked by 8 lanes of interstate highway to accommodate the morning/evening commutes between the two cities; etc.

And I could go on, but why?

As mentioned in another post, thankfully the "old Cincinnati - this is how it's always been" way of thinking is slowly eroding to the point of irrelevance. It can't disappear soon enough.

So, to revise:

Economically - yes
Socially - yes
Culturally - increasingly yes

@Briolat21 - great post! Of course, your perspective as a newcomer will be quickly dismissed by some. Problem is, you're exactly right.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 03-09-2012 at 10:58 AM..

Old 03-09-2012, 10:50 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,948,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
If by state government you mean Gov. John Kasich, you're right. He'll do everything in his power, unfortunately, to keep rail out of Ohio. Thankfully he lost his battle with the city of Cincinnati.

Three more years.
Yeah, I definitely think it's a positive for Cincinnati.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Surely you understand the folly in comparing the northeast corridor with the rest of the country?
Not in terms of meeting metro designation with connected development, no. NYC is by far the dominant city in that corridor, and an urbanized corridor stretches from there to Philly and up through Boston. That's the only comparison I was making, seeing that people here say that connected development should equate to a Cincinnati-Dayton metro.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Well--when you consider the source of the objection--sure it is! Any ploy to minimize, degrade, and deny the reality or importance of the "Cin-Day Corridor" will do. We've played this game many a time before, TomJones123. Don't be too surprised to soon be reading pages of the specific and rigid requirements of MSA's (and why Cin-Day fails them, of course). It's all in the game, i.e., the game of love/hate between the 3-C's...
I don't hate Cincinnati, please. The idea that I only object out of hate is ridiculous. Do you also write the Census and accuse them of that? My objection is based on the combination not meeting the standards for a single metro, that is it. If anyone is in denial here, it's those who insist they are one despite the only body who can actually say they are has instead said they are not. This is basically like you telling me the sky is green and then accusing me of hating green when I say it's blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati