Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 10:57 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
If the City's purpose for giving Mahogany's a grant was even remotely tied to supporting the Underground Railroad Freedom Center that is even worse. Let them find some other method of support. I read recently of a proposal to join the Cincinnati Museum Center and the Freedom Center under a common operational agreement (and I would hope management). Sounds to me like a good way to make the Museum Center also fail.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:02 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,236,176 times
Wasn't the Freedom Center on the verge of folding?

Old 02-23-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Wasn't the Freedom Center on the verge of folding?
That is why they are talking about combining the operation with the Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal which may also bring it to its knees.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:14 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
If the City's purpose for giving Mahogany's a grant was even remotely tied to supporting the Underground Railroad Freedom Center that is even worse. Let them find some other method of support. I read recently of a proposal to join the Cincinnati Museum Center and the Freedom Center under a common operational agreement (and I would hope management). Sounds to me like a good way to make the Museum Center also fail.
Well, I think Vintrest was talking about cross-marketing, which is a perfectly solid concept whereby businesses that attract the same groups of people cluster in such a way as to help support them all. The wedding and bridal businesses in Reading are the most notable local example that comes to mind right now. I'm not sure how much that principle applies to this situation, though. Would probably work with people who're in town for a convention. Local, repeat visitors, not so much.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Well, I think Vintrest was talking about cross-marketing, which is a perfectly solid concept whereby businesses that attract the same groups of people cluster in such a way as to help support them all. The wedding and bridal businesses in Reading are the most notable local example that comes to mind right now. I'm not sure how much that principle applies to this situation, though. Would probably work with people who're in town for a convention. Local, repeat visitors, not so much.
Sarah... I think you are being too kind. The Freedom Center is in big trouble. Where is the Banks? right next door. So am I to believe this substantial City grant is not tied in there somehow? Especially when the original parent restaurant in Hamilton is not exactly burning up the sidewalk. As you originally stated, the former basketball player who got a sizable grant to renovate a theater in OTR then went south with it rings a bell.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
I'm curious, have you eaten there? ...
No. I'm not interested in driving to Hamilton so I can spend $14 bucks on 4 chicken wings and a waffle, and then have the tip automatically added to my check.

Seriously, that latter practice--when it's extended even to small parties--makes any restaurant a no-go as far as I'm concerned. If I find out beforehand, then I just don't go. If I find out once I'm there, I just don't return. I hope it's not an indication of the customer service the second location will be extending to their patrons.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
No. I'm not interested in driving to Hamilton so I can spend $14 bucks on 4 chicken wings and a waffle, and then have the tip automatically added to my check.

Seriously, that latter practice--when it's extended even to small parties--makes any restaurant a no-go as far as I'm concerned. If I find out beforehand, then I just don't go. If I find out once I'm there, I just don't return. I hope it's not an indication of the customer service the second location will be extending to their patrons.
Sarah.. calm down. remember you always have the greatest consumer decision - just never go back.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:02 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,906 times
Food, like music, is subject to people's individual tastes - literally. I, personally, detest olives and really can't stand even looking at them. The fact that my local Kroger store has an olive bar is repulsive to me, but others love it.

I'm sure Mahogany's will enjoy a healthy customer base from a niche that isn't currently being filled in downtown Cincinnati.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:38 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,339 times
The enquirer articles seems like "Look what the city has done now". Yes this business owed back taxes and should not get the grant. More successful businesses should get it. With that said this is small peanuts compared to what is needed to be funded.

Union Terminal needs $150 million to just fix the place up.
Music Halls needs $160 million to just fix the place up.

Yet when this place is recommended for a grant or loan for 900k or the Freedom center needs $1.2 million yearly to operate the city goes upside down.

Something is SERIOUSLY wrong with this town.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
...Yet when this place is recommended for a grant or loan for 900k or the Freedom center needs $1.2 million yearly to operate the city goes upside down.

Something is SERIOUSLY wrong with this town.
I'm not sure what "the city goes upside down" means, but it really doesn't seem to me like a couple news stories and a modest amount of discussion about a $1 million expenditure means something is SERIOUSLY wrong with this town. To the contrary, it seems healthy to me. We need a whole lot more of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati