Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 11:49 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times

Advertisements

Someone on another message board is claiming that Cincinnati, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Columbus, St. Louis and Cleveland are alike.

Personally I think he has to be out to lunch but perhaps one or more people that have lived in several of these cities can enlighten me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 11:58 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
All are totally different with perhaps common threads. Indy and Columbus are similar being capitol cities and relatively the same size.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:11 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
People who say stuff like that usually haven't been to more than one or two of the cities in question.

I can't speak for Minneapolis, having never been there, but the others are all reasonably different from one another.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:15 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
I agree with Ohiogirl81 ... all of those cities are sufficiently different enough to make comparisons different. They each have their own unique culture, geographic location and way of life. If any of those two are similar, it would be Indianapolis and Columbus.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:01 PM

329 posts, read 700,245 times
I think that Cincinnati is closest to Louisville and St. Louis, but not in size. Cincinnati is somewhat larger that Louisville in terms of Metro population, but not STL.

Both of these two cities are situated along the river *check*.

Both of these two cities have a good mix of old and modern builds within city boundaries *check*.

AND they are all accessible to each other with one or less city in between *check*.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:52 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Someone on another message board is claiming that Cincinnati, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Columbus, St. Louis and Cleveland are alike.

Personally I think he has to be out to lunch but perhaps one or more people that have lived in several of these cities can enlighten me.
I have lived in most of the cities on the list and have spent a lot of time in the others.

There are many similarities, but also many differences.

On its surface, Cincinnati and Milwaukee share a strong German heritage. However, Cincinnati is trending more toward St. Louis with its deterioration and its political situations.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the replies up to this point. I will look forward to any additional posts.

The guy that made that claim is from Missouri. I live in the KC area and I have also lived in Indianapolis and Minneapolis from that list. I do see some similarities between Indy and Columbus but certainly not with any of the other cities. I've visited Cincy on numerous occasions and the people in your area are friendlier and have better manners and also seem to be a hell of a lot brighter intellectually than the people I've met in KC. Not staying here much longer if at all possible. :-)

Old 02-24-2012, 05:06 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies up to this point. I will look forward to any additional posts.

...I've visited Cincy on numerous occasions and the people in your area are friendlier and have better manners and also seem to be a hell of a lot brighter intellectually than the people I've met in KC. Not staying here much longer if at all possible. :-)
Glad to hear such a positive comment about Cincinnati, WILWRadio! Although I'm reluctant to compare Cinci & KC in any but the most superficial ways (similar sized metros, etc.), I'm not hesitant to mention that Cincinnati is both home to corporations such as Procter & Gamble, Kroger, and Macy's and a city of renowned cultural amenities (of which these and other large corporations contribute greatly to in numerous ways). Hopefully, you'll include this city on your "short list" in your relocation plans.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Glad to hear such a positive comment about Cincinnati, WILWRadio! Although I'm reluctant to compare Cinci & KC in any but the most superficial ways (similar sized metros, etc.), I'm not hesitant to mention that Cincinnati is both home to corporations such as Procter & Gamble, Kroger, and Macy's and a city of renowned cultural amenities (of which these and other large corporations contribute greatly to in numerous ways). Hopefully, you'll include this city on your "short list" in your relocation plans.
Yes, I am giving it consideration. I had a job offer there in 2000 but had to turn it down because of an unrelated matter. I can't say I've ever felt unwelcome during my travels to the Cincinnati and NKY areas. The KC area is not all that good and I need to find some place better. To date, no one that I know personally or have worked with in years past had anything really negative to say about the Cincinnati region. KC? A different matter. The people here in the KC area are two bricks short of a load.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:15 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
Quote:
Tell us the message board and we all can go harass him there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati